Author Topic: Some larger horns scrimmed,.....  (Read 1352 times)

Offline aaronc

Some larger horns scrimmed,.....
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:25:46 PM »
Have 3 here to ink,..would like to get done by the CLA but probably will only get 2 complete. Join or die is done,...other horn has a federal eagle on 1 side. Down the road gentleman.   Horns by Bill Smith.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:41:53 PM by aaronc »
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Some larger horns scrimmed,.....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:32:57 PM »
Looking good. There’s something very satisfying about making a good powder horn and decorating it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
 Well done.

Tim C.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:27:28 AM »
Neat work, Aaron!  I’m partial to the “snake horn” myself. I’ve used both designs, but not both on the same horn. I like the way Bill carved the neck to emulate a rattler’s tail, too. Both are good lookin’ horns!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline aaronc

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 04:00:34 AM »
Rich and Tim thanks for comments.

Greg,..yeah Bill calls it his rattlesnake horn. He does about 1 a year I think,..... takes about a day with a file to get it there. Im probably telling stuff you already know but the images are about 20 years apart,..so I went with the later date. If I had all kinds of time with it I would have did the border and all on the Ben Franklin 1754 snake and took a swing at making it look like it did in the Penn. Gazzette best to my ability,......and figured out the other side with don't tread on me,...I think it may have ended up on a flag soon in its existence. The subject matter was there for better design....I just didn't have time to reach that far. After the CLA I'll be bringing home bucket loads to play with though,...What I enjoy the most is just taking my time with the design,..when it hits me I know it. That doesn't mean it'll turn out like I want but that's my preferred method of operation. I see some variations on federal eagles and some sons of liberty explorations in my near future. Best -Aaron
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:06:32 AM by aaronc »
- Aaron C
At the work bench.