Author Topic: Bucks County  (Read 13063 times)

Offline flehto

Re: Bucks County
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »
Hi Eric.....Used the finial of the Pbox you previously  posted, but used a silver inlay in lieu of the round projection. Some say the inlay should have been brass and I might agree w/ that...or just use the round projection. This is the only side opening Pbox I made that has a surround.

You surely do have a wealth of info on BC LRs and their makers. ....and it's much appreciated......Fred

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:36:25 PM by flehto »

Offline yip

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »
  Fred; that p/b is a beau, nice work,your right Spinner is a wealth of info!!!!

Offline alacran

« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
I have really been enjoying the repartee between Fred, Spinner and Erick re BC guns.  The only one I've built was half assedly planned, but turned out ok. All this BC talk has inspired me to make another one. I will be talking to Jason at Rice about his Schuler profile barrel. Fred the patch box you just posted is very elegant. I have plenty of fine Indiana curl that has cured enough for me to use. I don't trust any wood that hasn't been in AZ for at least 3 years.  When I finished my first,  I thought the first thing I do before I build another, is make the entry pipe. After that all will be easy.  Flehto I will copy your tooling for it. Looks way more efficient than how I did It.
It will keep my mind tuned to the project while I acquire parts.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »
Fred, you are doing great work!  I've been "lurking" on this thread, and have gotten a ton of good Bucks County info from you all!  Spinner was nice enough to send me that PB drawing also.
I kinda like the silver finial on the PB - looks nice!  Was it sterling, or pure silver?  I like both, but the silver tends to be easier for me to work than the sterling.
Building a Rupp rifle right now, and tried to anneal one of my old English coins - over-heated a bit, and got some nifty burn marks in my floor!  I do have an annealing block to heat stuff on, and do not know why I didn't use it!

Thanks for all the info, guys - it is appreciated!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline flehto

« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »
Can't recall as to what kind of silver it was...just ordered a sheet of .062 thick silver which might be overly thick and the  main use for the silver is the cheek star which requires some filing to make it flush......Fred

Offline PrairieD

• Starting Member
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »
Hello Folks!

I've been quietly taking in all the BC knowledge that has been coming out of this thread (and comparing it with my Verner/BC pre-carve...) -- Over the weekend, I got a chance to do a tracing of my Varner pre-carved stock (using a 3" machinist square and a drafting pencil - after I "plotted" points around the stock, I came back and faired the lines with a set of ships curves I still have...) Comparing my tracing with Fred's BC stock tracing, the lower line of the buttstock is a pretty good match while the comb on Verner is a straight line (without the 1/8"+ "rocker" of the BC comb)  -- The drop on both tracings is comparable, especially after taking in account for LOP...

Thank you, Eric, for the PB drawing -- I just saved it to my BC folder & printed it "actual" size -- it came out full size (like it was supposed to!... ;-)

The folks at Knob Mountain may be wondering about all the sudden interest in BC  TG & Bplates! ;-)

Mike C.
Pretty Prairie, KS

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2018, 10:36:11 PM »
So, Spinner, is your moniker related to the propeller design on many Bucks County patchboxes, or is that coincidence?
Andover, Vermont

Offline alacran

« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2018, 11:55:03 PM »
Welcome Prairie D.
Fairing, plotting points. rocker, ships curves, , haven't heard those words in a long time. I Used to be a plug builder.
 If you are planning to take the long rifle building road, remember "A fair line supersedes any given measurement".
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline yip

« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2018, 12:46:43 AM »
 Fred; or anyone willing to answer this question. is it possible and logical to make a b/p with the thumbnail and gentel curves? just kicking this around and doing this with 1/4" brass, if this sounds stupid ? can't find one!

Offline PrairieD

• Starting Member
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2018, 01:08:16 AM »
Welcome Prairie D.
Fairing, plotting points. rocker, ships curves, haven't heard those words in a long time. I Used to be a plug builder.
 If you are planning to take the long rifle building road, remember "A fair line supersedes any given measurement".

What can I say, I'm a child from the last century... ;-)

Offline alacran

« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2018, 02:57:37 AM »
Yip
The only reason I made mine out of 1/4 inch brass, is that I was given a 7foot x1.25x.25 brass bar. I pretty much had to beat it to .125 before I started shaping it. I had looked at the catalogues and all the websites and didn't find what I wanted. It was winter time so I would just kept putting it back in the stove to keep it annealed. I didn't want to drive into town to buy a piece of brass . A piece of .125 x 2x 12 should be long enough.
Draw what you want the profile to look like. Trace it on a piece of hardwood.  Cut it out. Make it long enough to hold it in a strong vice. Work the profile first. Leave the comb long. When you get the profile right, use a ballpeen to beat the inside of the plate concave. If  you have a small anvil of some sort  beat the inside from the center out. Best to go perpendicular to the BP. Did I mention Anneal, anneal anneal!!! Best to start the concave process at the heel.
You can keep going back to the hardwood pattern and keep it aligned.
Wish I had taken photos.

Offline yip

« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2018, 02:02:21 PM »
alacran; i think i'll give it a try, TOTW has a piece of brass 1/4"x4x 8" (experimental) i hope this will do. like you said i got all winter to give it a whirl. i think all i need is a profile of the b/p, something to do while waiting

Offline alacran

« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2018, 07:56:58 PM »
Yip.
I made you a pattern of my BP. I detailed the widths at one inch increments. Send me a pm with a mailing address and it will be on its way.

Offline flehto

« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »
Making a BC Bplate out of some  thickness of brass  plate is a worthwhile endeavor but to arrive at a BC contour needs a "model" that's acceptable. Having  never  hammered a Bplate from sheet  brass, I imagine  multiple anneals are req'd.  I think that's why the original  makers preferred cast Bplates....which manes sense  and is my opinion. 

If'n  I were to start another BC LR  at this time, the plethora of info from the likes of Eric, John and Ron would make it a lot easier to produce a Shuler  BC LR that was  "Shuler". Using the TG and Bplate from Knob Mountain  would determine the template for sawing out  the blank and the numerous photos of original BC LRs  would achieve the "flavor' of a BC LR. .....w/ me it would be a Shuler.

Presently I'm not capable of starting a BC LR build, but can only imagine how authentic it would be w/ all the info and HC parts now available.....Fred

Offline yip

« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2018, 10:37:42 PM »
 thanks Fred; i've got a while to wait so i guess i'll take your advise and go to Knob Mountain when the time arrives

Offline yip

« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2018, 05:25:04 PM »
 seems that with time on my hands i decided to make a few parts for the B/C, i made an entry thimble and upper thimbles, and a few inlays.that entry thimble was a real booger but i think i did it, i'll try to photo these and post them as soon as i figure out how to do it. i hope i can start soon on the rifle, getting antsy.

Offline yip

« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
  Spinner; the open nose cap, does the sides end at the barrel or is it folded around and under the the barrel?

Offline flehto

« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2018, 04:29:21 PM »

One rivet in each side.....Spinner  {Eric} might have some better info on riveting.....Fred
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:40:03 PM by flehto »

Offline yip

« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2018, 08:21:26 PM »
 thanks Fred i've been asking you a lot of questions lately, sorry, glad you replied.

Offline yip

« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2018, 02:10:59 AM »
Alacran; got your template the other day, i'm gotta give it a try, wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline alacran

« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2018, 02:57:22 AM »
Remember to anneal specially the hard bend of the heel. It will work harden quickly. Good Luck!

Offline yip

« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2018, 09:49:12 PM »
 Spinner or Fletho; is there a book on the Bucks County rifle, need measurements on forearm and front end of rifle, trying to be on the right track as close as possible.