Author Topic: Lancaster - First Assembly  (Read 2042 times)

Offline jm190

Lancaster - First Assembly
« on: August 17, 2018, 06:33:46 AM »
I assembled a Traditions kit but I don't think they really qualify as a "proper" long rifle.

This is an Early Lancaster package from Pecatonica River. All in all I'm very happy with the result. Nothing fancy; no carving or engraving, just the patch box and hunter star inlay. I think my biggest SNAFU was the front lock bolt coming through too high which throws off the "flow" on the left side. I should have placed the front pipe back further; maybe at least on inch or two. You might be able to pick out an inlet repair or two as well as some misguided pin repairs as well. I'm very happy with the metal and wood finish. I still have several more coats of oil to apply to the stock.

I did make my own side plate to replace the kit plate that was a little too generic. I also made the bottom patch box plate to replace the short one in the kit. Thanks to all the members who provided comments of fixing my patch box issue.

I welcome any comments that would improve my next assembly or build.

John

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: Lancaster - First Assembly
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:27:04 AM »
What’s the finish? 

Offline jm190

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 07:51:17 AM »
The stock is Laurel Mtn. Forge Lancaster Maple under Track of the Wolf Antique Formula Original Oil Finish. The lock and barrel were rust blued with Laurel Mtn. Forge Barrel Brown.

John

Offline webradbury

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »
I would not have noticed the lock bolt if you had not mentioned it. Very nice rifle. What caliber?
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »
Your first is much better than my first.

Your side plate is OK but you left a bulge of extra wood between the front trigger guard extension and the barrel which makes a slope to the ramrod entry pipe. This extra wood makes the forearm slab sided in front of the sideplate panel.

I have made similar mistakes on my first build, I look at it and think " someday I am going to straighten all my mistakes out on that gun". It looks a little rough but had kept the freezer full of deer meat so it is unlikely that I will ever "straighten" it out. Everytime I look at it I think about what I woulda', coulda', shoulda' done on that rifle.   

Offline jm190

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »
I would not have noticed the lock bolt if you had not mentioned it. Very nice rifle. What caliber?

It's .50 cal.

Offline jm190

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
Your first is much better than my first.

Your side plate is OK but you left a bulge of extra wood between the front trigger guard extension and the barrel which makes a slope to the ramrod entry pipe. This extra wood makes the forearm slab sided in front of the sideplate panel.

Thanks for that observation; I see what you're talking about. I've added this to my list of "Things to Do Better Next Time".

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 09:44:44 PM »
Looks pretty good to my old eyes.  I have one with that same stock color.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 08:59:05 PM »
Get some originals in hand before next time. Lock moldings aren't quite right.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jm190

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
Get some originals in hand before next time. Lock moldings aren't quite right.

Hi Mike,
   Thanks for the suggestion to handle originals. Unfortunately that's unlikely due to lack of availability where I live here in New Hampshire. Please could you comment on what isn't quite right. I will be able to compare your comments to my lock and locks in my RCA books and make noted for next time. The lock is a large Siler if that would help you to point out issues.

Thanks!
John

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 09:41:12 PM »
Hi John,

I wrote this as you were replying, but I will post anyway.  Hopefully Mike will reply also.

Good job on your first rifle.  Inletting looks well done.  To echo Mike, the lock panels aren't bad, but could be better.  I would suggest not following the lock outline so closely around the nose and tail of the lock.  Stretch those out a bit, 1/2" or even a little more, and blending them into the narrow upper and lower edges will look more graceful.

What are you think of for your next build?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 05:52:01 AM »