Author Topic: 36 cal pre-carve build  (Read 3067 times)

Hessian

36 cal pre-carve build
« on: August 20, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
I picked up a Douglas barrel inletted into a precarved (looks like) Virginia styled walnut stock on a trade some time ago. I inletted the tang and the barrel is a little "proud" at the breach end.(Less that 1/16 above paralell but flush with the wrist) I suppose I need to drop it in a smidgin more. It's real close.
I've been putzing around with this for years. I've done a few kits and "fixed" a few guns but lack the confidence to dive into it.
I figure that you inlet the barrel/tang, then the lock, triggers/guard, then buttplate. Am I right? Any pointers/constructive criticism? I have poured over the forum for years. I know the caliber is a little small for an early riflegun but it is what it is.

I currently have a iron/steel buttplate and I want to do iron thimbles and triggerguard. Would that be "believeable" or should I go with brass? I'm taking her to Friendship to look for parts.

Guys someone give me a kick in the tail to get me re-started!
(I'm probably gonna regret that!)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: 36 cal pre-carve build
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 09:39:11 PM »
......  I figure that you inlet the barrel/tang, then the lock, triggers/guard, then buttplate. Am I right? .......

This may help...  http://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/tutorial.pdf

NOW GET TO WORK! (Is that a big enough kick in the tail?)

-Ron
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:41:07 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 11:20:56 PM »
Researching early VA guns would be your first step. That should answer your question about what type of furniture to go with. That barrel has to go further down, with pre-carves this is typical, so fully bedding the barrel will be the first task. You will want to know where your breech plug ends too because you have to plan for the touch hole which should go in front of the plug face. With the barrel down (and possibly back a bit) and your touch hole location known you can proceed with the lock, triggers, etc. Everything on a long rifle keys off that touch hole location.

Once you're got that far just keep at it. Sounds like a fun project.

dave
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:22:32 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 12:53:59 AM »
The Hampshire County Longrifles Blogspot has a lot of late flint and percussion Virginia/West Virginia longrifles.Good website.

Hessian

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 06:51:57 PM »
I've been researching ETn/Va/NC guns and my wife just gave me Dave Byrds book. Dave is the stepfather of a coworker and I've met visited with him several times. He's invited me back. I think I may try to pare down the buttstock into a ETn gun. I've got some wrought iron wagon "tires" and I may try my hand at forging some furniture. Regardless, this is not going to be as simple as I thought. 

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 07:13:39 PM »
Thought I'd try to build an early VA rifle using an oct/rd bbl w/ "iron" hardware some yrs back and was sorta flying blind except that I noticed in one of my reference books, that the buttstock outline  was a little different than say a Lancaster. So...shown below is my "version" of an early VA LR.

Have been criticized for the Bpox which  I suppose could have been more complicated in outline, but that's what the customer wanted.

But, at least the wood is nice.....Fred

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with that pbox other than the lid may be a little short, but no big deal. Nice looking rifle.

Hessian do you have a pic of your stock?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:57:44 PM by flinchrocket »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 08:10:42 PM »
 ;) ;)... Hessian,... seek info and look at any rifles that Dave will share with you,... He is a fine fellow and is one of the few around who really know East Tennessee rifles,.... try    forgeing the parts,... would be a good challenge,...just study as many originals and photos as  possible to get it right,... T/G and B/P shape can make a Tennessee rifle as much as stock profile,.!!! ... Best wishes,... CCF ...

Hessian

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 06:25:17 PM »
;) ;)... Hessian,... seek info and look at any rifles that Dave will share with you,... He is a fine fellow and is one of the few around who really know East Tennessee rifles,.... try    forgeing the parts,... would be a good challenge,...just study as many originals and photos as  possible to get it right,... T/G and B/P shape can make a Tennessee rifle as much as stock profile,.!!! ... Best wishes,... CCF ...

I'm "picture posting  challenged"(something I need to remedy!) but it's very similar to the one Flehto posted. Just not as much drop to the butt stock, maybe an inch less.
Thanks fo the help and encouragement! I'm ready to get on with this. I've had some lung problems over the past several years and then AFIB kicked in. Result was I've been weak as a puppy! I'm off the O2 now and regaining my strength. I now have the desire to do something. Still not running any marathons but I'm getting better. Anything is better than nothing!

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 07:37:12 PM »
Hessian, it's your rifle, do as you would like. With that said I like to stay close to PC but have a tendency to stray a little bit myself. I built an early Virginia style Klette rifle in iron, the original was made in brass. I think the rifle turned out fine and have had no complaints from any who have looked at it. Your rifle being 36 caliber would probably be better suited for a later period rifle but I see no reason that you should not build it with iron/steel fittings. Variations in our beloved long rifles is one of the things that keeps this sport interesting. I love seeing all of the new ideas of those willing to stretch the boundries and break away from the norm occasionally. Here are pictures of my Iron Virginia, I hope you enjoy. These pictures are posted on my web site also, this is a link to them https://www.parkerfirearms.com/portfolio/klette-rifle-of-virginia/

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Hessian

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 08:10:15 PM »
Looks real nice bama!

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 04:04:47 AM »
I'm doing a series of videos on building a kit. I had the same problem with the position of the barrel. It was not hard to fix. Here is the first video in the series.

Hessian

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 07:18:36 PM »
Well fellas,
I got some Issac Haines parts,(buttplate/triggerguard/forend cap/thimbles/etc. in steel) and left her with a friend in Friendship. I have a Manton lock with a waterproof pan and double set triggers. He's going to "put her together" and I'll do the finishing next spring(sooner if he gets done sooner.) I told him to take his time and let me know when he's done and I'll drive over and pick her up. It will probably look a lot like the Klette rifle but in .36. I'd like to add a similar patchbox but don't know if I can. I've seen some of my friends Haines style rifles he's built and they look good. I wanted a .36 because Tn allows you to hunt anything with a .36 or larger. (Face it, they're ain't no Grizz in Tn!) At least hopefully I'll have something new to shoot come this time next year ;D

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 11:37:15 PM »
Hessian,
You'll love the Haines gun.  They handle nicely with the 38" barrel.
However, loose the Martin lock.  It should be a Germanic lock.  I.e. a Siler.
In His grip,

Dane

Hessian

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 12:47:11 AM »
I have a few locks lying around. How about a Queen Anne siler? Maybe I'll call my friend and send him one. I'll save the Manton for a southern gun.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 02:09:17 AM »
Hessian,
A Queen Anne is also an English lock, not a Siler.
In His grip,

Dane