Author Topic: Maker?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline varsity07840

Maker?
« on: August 23, 2018, 11:00:13 PM »
I recently picked up an original full stock that is signed on the top flat in script..D.J. l. New.. That's all I can make out. Anybody have a clue as to who might be the maker? It's a very plain percussion I would guess dates back to the 1840s.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Maker?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 11:50:55 PM »
Pictures might help determine where the gun originated.  Which, in turn, could help identify "D.J. l. New.."

-Ron
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:51:12 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 03:50:22 AM »
I am also trying to identify a golden age flintlock signed D. J. And the last name is Obscured.  The rifle is pictured in Richard Rosenberger’s book on western Pennsylvania rifles
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »
My rifle is disassembled right now, as it needs some work. It could indeed be western PA.

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 06:34:44 PM »
Shreckmeister, the rifle on page 121 of Rosenberger's book "The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania" was built by Jacob Weigle of Westmoreland County.  I talked to the owner some years ago.  The same rifle is shown as a caplock in Shumway's "Longrifle Articles", Volume II, page 87.  He was confused as to where it was built.  Whisker's book "Arms Makers of Western Pennsylvania" shows a similar rifle on page 163.  How do I know he built these rifles?  Because I restored a third rifle built by him and with his name engraved on it.  There are features of his "hand" common to all three:  carving, wear plates, and "stars" or crosses among them.  The third rifle is in a museum in Vernal, Utah.  It was found in a dry cave with the dessicated body of a mixed blood Indian boy of about 8 years of age. I have researched this for about 35 years and believe I know who his parents were.  I have also researched the Weigle (Wigle) family and even traveled to Jacob's Creek, PA and Pittsburgh doing this.  I know some of his descendants and have visited them in Iowa, St. Louis and his GGG grandson in Ashland County, Ohio.  Here is the restored rifle in the Utah Field House of Natural History Museum.

Here I am with the cleaned up and "restored" rifle about 1980

The original on my left and my copy on the right.  (I made three copies and sold one to a Wigle married to my cousin Ruth in Iowa).

The original on the left and my copy on the right.

Andy Anderson, GGG grandson of Jacob Wigle and my first copy, which he bought from me, at the grave of Jacob Wigle in Ashland, Ohio.

I wrote this story for "The Outlaw Trail Journal" here in Vernal, and when I find my copy I'll post the details of the issue and how to order the book.
Herb

Offline Herb

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 07:28:47 PM »
To see the Outlaw Trail Journals, go to www.uintahhistory.org, Uintah County Heritage Museum-home, gift shop, Outlaw Trail Journal.  My story was in the Summer 2007 issue.  It is not sold online, but you order it from the Uintah County Heritage Museum, 155 East Main, Vernal, UT  84078 for $10.  Phone number 435-789-7399.  To see photos of my Wigle rifles, go to Search, put in Wigle and Herb.
Herb

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 07:52:23 PM »
.D.J. l. New.

New Market Made????
Joel Hall

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 09:23:48 PM »
New are the first three letters, the rest are too worn to make out.