General discussion > Antique Gun Collecting

A Southern Longrifle Article

(1/1)

david64:
This article is taken from the June 1976 issue of Muzzle Blasts  magazine. I thought that others might like to read it too.

G-Man:
There was an LW McInturff who worked in Unicoi County (upper east TN) - according to John Rice Irwin's book he, like many others in the mountain regions, supported the Union in the Civil War and formed a compnay of volunteers.

That is a neat gun - looks to have  some "Gillespie" in it to me.

Guy

Ken G:
Jerry Nobles mentions this rifle in Vol. signed on the barrel "McInturff Defies the World".  Wonder what that meant? 
He attributes it to McInturff Jr.
Ken

Ken G:
David,
Thanks for posting the article.  It's before my time and I had never seen it.  I have filed away.  I see Gillespie like Guy does except for the lock plate and trigger guard with the tiny curl.  Both I have seen on upper E. TN guns. 

I love the grease hole.
Ken

Dennis Glazener:

--- Quote ---That is a neat gun - looks to have  some "Gillespie" in it to me.

Guy
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---I see Gillespie like Guy does except for the lock plate and trigger guard with the tiny curl. Ken
--- End quote ---

Well I do too! I have only seen oval shaped grease holes on Gillespie's and somewhere I have a photo of a signed Gillespie with a trigger guard that is very much like that one. I will dig it up later and post a photo of it.

Dennis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version