Author Topic: Blast from the past  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Blast from the past
« on: August 24, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »
Stumbled across these at the CLA show on John Schipper's table. I said "Wow, there's some cool guns". Then John said, "they should be, you made them". :P Anyway, it was great seeing some stuff from long ago. These were from my "hand forged iron period in the mid 90's. I was still boiling in bleach back then and using aquafortis.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:15:57 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Lobo

Re: Blast from the past
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 05:54:57 PM »
Mike, they say the first thing to go is the memory....I can't remember what the second thing is.  :-\

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 06:34:15 PM »
Very bonny work Mike. Very attractive!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:14:04 PM »
... The time to look over a fine Mike Brooks rifle is when you see one,... !!! ... good talking with you in Lexington, Mike,... great rifle,... !!!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 09:38:34 PM »
Those are some cool guns.
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 09:47:42 PM »
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 12:39:39 AM »
A couple of handsome hairy old gents too! I’m proud to know them both!!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline rennikselum

• Jeff Rogers
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 02:27:35 AM »
John shared these with his engraving class. Very cool and great to handle. He shared a handful of guns, but I kept coming back to these. Great examples for our class and though different both felt like "natural fit" to me.

Thanks for sharing, the pictures I took during the class were lost with my last phone.

Jeff

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 02:38:22 AM »
I like em. Would love to see more of them IF you have anymore pics
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 03:10:19 AM »
Brooks, I was looking for some inspiration for an iron box. That Iron mounted gun with the 2 piece box was all I needed to get me over the hump. Look for another with that or box or some variation of it soon.  8)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:41:37 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
Brooks, I was looking for some inspiration for an iron box. That Iron mounted gun with the 2 piece box was all I needed to get me over the hump. Look for another with that or box or some variation of it soon.  8)
I used to use that box style all the time back in the day. You can use just one screw in  the upper finial too.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 04:23:31 PM »
John shared these with his engraving class. Very cool and great to handle. He shared a handful of guns, but I kept coming back to these. Great examples for our class and though different both felt like "natural fit" to me.

Thanks for sharing, the pictures I took during the class were lost with my last phone.

Jeff
I can't imagine Schippers using these as examples in his engraving class. Probably a "here's how not to do it" example..... I was quite humbled that he still has these and they aren't for sale. He must have had these for 20-25 years now.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
I like em. Would love to see more of them IF you have anymore pics

Unfortunately long before I had a camera. Back in those days I was only doing business at shows, I hadn't discovered the internet yet.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »
If you'll allow me to brag a bit.... ::) The top one shows I could pound out a pretty mean buttplate. :) Trigger guards not so much. :-\ Once all my blacksmithing stuff was stolen I had to move on to my "guns with out hand forged mounts era. ;)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
  Mike I looked at both those guns. Plus your Lehigh that CCG is holding..
 They all looked mighty fine to me an it was fun meeting you..! Oldtravler

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »
Great rifles, Mike. Nice meeting all you fellows I hadn’t met earlier.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
If you'll allow me to brag a bit.... ::) The top one shows I could pound out a pretty mean buttplate. :) Trigger guards not so much. :-\ Once all my blacksmithing stuff was stolen I had to move on to my "guns with out hand forged mounts era. ;)
                                                                                                                                                       Mike, I think the trigger guards are pretty cool, too.   What don't you like about them?                                                                                                                                                                 Dan                                                                           

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 06:16:23 PM »
                                                                                                                                                       Mike, I think the trigger guards are pretty cool, too.   What don't you like about them?                                                                                                                                                                 Dan                                                                           

Never learned to make them well, others make my efforts forging trigger guards look pretty amateurish, which I am. If I were young again, I'd spend some time to learn to do them well. At this point my hammer swinging days are over.