Author Topic: Southern Mountain Rifle  (Read 6753 times)

carolina joe

Southern Mountain Rifle
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:44 AM »
I have a question or two about this rifle. Where did the Southern Mountain "Bean" style rifle originate? Who was bean? What time period was this rifle made and used?

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Southern Mountain Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 03:11:44 PM »
Just where, when and how the Bean family gunsmithing style evolved is sort of a mystery.  The Beans settled in East Tennessee early, by around 1767 and came from Virginia.  Some have claimed that the first generation settler William Bean made rifles but to my knowledge there is nothing docuemented to show that.  There are references to rifles being made in the region in the late 1700s but we don't know what they looked like.

There are signed Bean family guns from later generations (like Charles, Baxter, and I think a Joseph or Jonathan - 2nd quarter of 19th century), and there are references to some Bean gunsmiths (I think Russell Bean is the earliest referenced as a gunsmith - not sure (?)) that we don't have signed examples of their work.   In Foxfire 5 they say there were suspected to be 5 generations of gunsmiths in the family.

Some  early gunsmiths who moved into the region before 1800 were the Bulls and Joseph Bogle, and their early work shows similarity to guns being made in Southwestern Virginia moreso than what we think of as the classic late flint, "Bean" style east Tennesee gun.  The Bull family guns evolved into their own distinctive styles with time. So perhaps the same is true of the Beans as well.

So the style of the mounts, and the architecture of the Bean style were there by about 1830, probably even by the 1820s.  Earlier?  We don't know.  Did they develop the style or learn from someone else?   Again, we don't know.  Earl Lanning's Matthew Gillespie rifle shown in Dennis Glazener's book shows that the Gillespie style mounatin rifle was pretty much evolved by 1815 or so, so it is possible the basic Bean style was as well.  Or, perhaps some of the guns attributed to southwestern Virgnia in the 1790-1820 era were actually made in Tennessee and looked very different from the later mountain rifles.  

In any event, the east Tennessee style seems to have evolved and remained through being somewhat isolated  - I think you can be safe in assuming it was there by at least 1830 and was used for the remainder of the 19th century.

Guy
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:11:39 PM by Guy Montfort »

carolina joe

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:18:48 PM »
Thank Guy,
I have tried to search all the information that I could about the Southern Mountain "Bean" style rifle. Haven't really come wit much. Your information is much appreciated. I am having a Southern Mountain "Bean" style rifle built right now. I aprreciate it once again.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 11:37:39 PM »
Wish i could be more help - I would like to know the answer too!  Perhaps some of the other folks on here who know more about the Beans will provide some more insight.

Guy

projeeper

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 12:46:50 AM »
is dennis glazeners book still in print? where can copies be gotten?

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 01:36:10 AM »
Check the "For Sale" section and also his website - there are links to it on the ALR Home Page.  He just did a reprint I think.

Guy

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 04:56:51 PM »
Joe - if you do a search on the Contemporary Makers Blogspot site for "Roger Sells" you can see an original that is possibly a Bean and Roger's nice rifle he built based on that original.

Guy

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 12:04:49 AM »
As Guy indicated the early details are sketchy - in fact so are a lot of the later details - It is thought that the Beans are descended from the McBain clan.  Jerry Noble has suggested that the first Bean family gunsmithing can be traced back to the 1740's, that would have been William Bean who was born in Virginia in 1721. He moved to Tennessee in the late 1760's.
  There were many Beans making rifles over a long span of time, but the style of rifle that you are probably referring to seems to have developed in East Tennessee in the early to mid 1800's. Even in this narrow time slot there were quite a few Bean family gunsmiths working. If you are looking for some photographs of these rifles, Jerry Noble's books have plenty of them and are a good source of information on the Bean family. There are a couple pages of photos in Foxfire 5 of what most would consider a "classic" Bean rifle, probably by Charles Bean.
   In the book Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850, there are photos of a nice long barreled Bean pistol that shares a lot of the typical Bean rifle traits, signed "B. Bean", could be Baxter Bean, maybe not. There were a whole lot of Bean family gunsmiths, gets confusing in a hurry.
   Not sure if you have ever been to the CLA show in Lexington Kentucky, last year there were a couple great rifles of this type on display. Can't guarantee they'd be there again this time, but even if they aren't,  there are about eight million other good reasons to go to that show.  Also the show every Spring at the Museum of Appalachia in Tennessee is a great show to see guns of this type.     

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 12:52:18 AM »
As Ian mentioned, Jerry Noble has four volumes on Southern Rifles, and is your best bet for more info on these type of rifles.  I would venture a guess that there as many variety's as there are Pennsylvania guns.  The four volumes are soft bound and are around 135 pages each, and loaded with tons of info, and pic's.  You can reach Jerry at

Jerry Noble
414N. E. 7th Ave.
Aledo, Illinois 61231
Ph. 309-582-2852
Not sure of the price, but priceless for this kind of info.  I think the Bean's, and Bull's, are in a couple of volumes, and the are related.

Bill

Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?