Author Topic: English lock id  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
English lock id
« on: August 27, 2018, 09:38:59 PM »
Was cleaning a NC rifle a few minutes ago and had the lock out. Noticed the name on the lock is R Patrick and Co and wondered if possibly anyone had any information on this maker. Its on a NC mountain rifle and I date the rifle circa 1810-1825. I would assume its one of the locks imported into Philadelphia by the barrel, just curious.

The lock does has a fly and after all these years it still works as it should.
Dennis
Sorry I got side tracked and forgot the photos! Then I decided to do what I tell others to do, google the name! Found the answer to my own question, see below.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:55:42 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JV Puleo

Re: English lock id
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:46:52 PM »
I don't find an "R" Patrick although that doesn't mean there wasn't one. That it is an English lock is virtually certain. It could also be an American hardware dealer.

The most famous one is Anne Patrick. She apparently continued her husband's business after he had died. This was actually not all that unusual but apparently, she also had guns marked with her name. Of course, it is highly debatable as to whether she made them, which seems to be what was thought for a long time. By the 1820s most "gunmakers" were retailers, especially provincial gunmakers so if the products were being supplied complete there is much less reason to be surprised that a lady continued in the business.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:53:15 PM by JV Puleo »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:53:21 PM »
Oh should have googled before I posted this question. Here is the answer. The rifle lock is the first on shown in this
article posted at the American Society of Arms Collectors website: http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Southern-longrifles-B073_McKnight.pdf

Note in the second paragraph the mention of the same Ann Patrick that JV Puleo mentions.
Dennis
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:59:07 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 12:34:31 AM »
Enclosed is a image of a Patrick  flint lock conversion to percussion , Patrick built a lot of single barrel flint locks with a left hand lock
Feltwad

Patrick Lock

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 01:42:36 AM »
I also found a combo rifle with back action locks by him:
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/r-patrick-co-percussion-rifle-shotgun-combination-al4325/
Dennis

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 02:52:31 AM »
Probably the importer's name or a Hardware dealer. Its the cheapest possible import lock.  No bridle on the tumbler, etc. I am amazed it has a fly. But being a FL it needed a 1/2 cock. The cheap percussion locks of this grade had not half-cock so the fly was deleted as well.  Surely from Birmingham.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 02:59:21 AM »
I also found a combo rifle with back action locks by him:
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/r-patrick-co-percussion-rifle-shotgun-combination-al4325/
Dennis

I would love to see the proof marks in this combination gun. I would not be surprised to see Belgium proofs. But one never knows about such things. But there were a BUNCH of back action lock double guns from Belgium.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 02:41:22 PM »
Dennis:
   The N.Y.S. Firearms Trade, Vol. 5, pg. 377 lists Richard Patrick & Co. as a gun/hardware importer located at 241 Pearl St.(NY City) per an 1840-41 business directory.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:01:55 PM by Steve Collward »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 03:47:49 PM »
Dennis:
   The N.Y.S. Firearms Trade, Vol. 5, pg. 377 lists Richard Patrick & Co. as a gun/hardware importer located at 241 Pearl St. per an 1840-41 business directory.

Thanks Steve,
Dennis