Author Topic: Need ID help!  (Read 1642 times)

Jimofsc

Need ID help!
« on: August 30, 2018, 01:08:18 AM »
I’m a newbie here but not new to black powder or shooting in general. I came across this rifle a few day’s ago. I need id help.
Rifle is 51” overall length, bore measures .311, and doesn’t look like it is rifled (rusted, I haven’t cleared). I hope I didn't post too many picture but I can send more it that will help with the ID. Thanks.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:23:55 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Re: Need ID help!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 02:32:08 AM »
A very nice Tennessee or Western North Carolina Rifle with all the right stuff
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Jimofsc

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 03:03:22 AM »
Any idea of the value? Who made it? Date?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 04:19:55 AM »
It looks like the tang wraps up on to the comb. Can you post a picture of that
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »
 ??? ??? ???... I'm calling upper East Tennessee,... give us some pix of the breech-tang, top of butt-plate, bottom view of trigger-guard, area where ramrod enters the wood in the stock, front & rear sights and sideplate or washers,.......does she have a nosecap,..??... barrel and stock may be shortened,...  look closely on top of barrel for markings in area of rear sight.... ... might seem like asking for a lot of photos,.. but these are needed to venture an I.D. without seeing the rifle in person,... thanx for posting,...!!! ... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,....

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 11:46:53 PM »
As to the rifling issue, a close look at the muzzle shows the bore has seven rifling grooves...a true rifle. Shelby Gallien

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 12:34:23 AM »
I would say Unicoi County, if I had to guess. Looks like someone put the lock in with the sear under the trigger bar instead of over it.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 02:33:07 AM »
 ;) ;)... I agree, Gerald,... Trigger-guard and patch-box very similar to a Jonathan Gross that you know about,... !!!!! 

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 02:53:13 AM »
Just some old darn gun hardly worthy of hanging in the outhouse but I guess if you want to rid yourself of it I'd take it off your hands IF you gave me $10 and paid to ship it to me. ::)

GREAT rifle.  Why can I never find things like that!

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 03:02:57 AM »
Is it me or does it look like the forearm was cut off?
I think it started out a fullstock.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 03:04:45 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 04:39:03 AM »
The fore end is cut just a little forward of the entry pipe.  The ram rod however goes into the pipe then up to keepers that are attached to the underside of the bbl.  I think it might also serve as a base fiddle!  This would be a great candidate for a fore end replacement.  Should not be all that hard and given the other end it would be a dy-no-mite rifle.

SO, is it for sale?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:39:59 AM by Molly »