Author Topic: has anyone made thier own peep /ghostring sight?  (Read 12676 times)

Offline recurve

has anyone made thier own peep /ghostring sight?
« on: August 30, 2018, 03:36:29 AM »
Just wanted to see if anyone made their own peep/ghost ring sight that looks like it belongs on a flintlock(lyman looks to modern)

galudwig

Re: has anyone made thier own peep /ghostring sight?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 04:15:40 AM »
I had a ball-ended sling swivel stud with a hole drilled through it.  I filed the sides down flat leaving an "aperture." The threaded end was 10x32, so it switched out perfectly with the tang bolt. Had to install a taller front sight, but it works well; especially for hunting.

Here's another from an ALR member. I think it's pretty cool.

There is a similar sight to this one pictured on one of Lowell Haarer's rifles in the July/August Issue of Muzzleloader Magazine.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 08:33:23 AM »
I've made a couple, ageing eyes forced me to do something to stay in the game and so far these work great. I've got one on a .40 flinter and one on my .54 flintlock hunting rifle.  Here is a link to my original post giving a little more info. I have since sprayed both flat black to help reduce glare.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=43554.msg425963#msg425963

American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline recurve

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 04:16:45 PM »
I might of miss it but what was your finished sight made from?(looks great)

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 04:41:34 PM »
I made a simple one as a test sight by bending  a piece of metal to fit the tang and drilling some hole in  it.  It is countersunk to fit the tang bolt.

Brice Stultz

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »
I one time seen one on a rifle on traders row that was made from angle iron. I thought it looked klunky but the seller claimed it worked well.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 11:22:15 PM »
I made this one for an English rifle I built a while ago........

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 11:30:51 PM »
Now that one sure does not look klunky Dave. Looks like another fine looking gun too. Thanks for posting the photo of the sight. I like the idea of lateral adjustment too.

ltdann

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 12:06:30 AM »
Dave, et al

When putting in a ghost ring/peep sight, how do you determine the height of the peep?

Dave, can you show a pic of the front sight for that English rifle?  That's amazing work.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 02:42:32 AM »
Here is the front sight for my rifle...

I copied the rear sight from a rifle made by Stephen Alexander.  Here is his version.........

Here is a discussion that may shed some light....

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=27794.msg265051#msg265051

And here is the whole story on my English rifle..........

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34719.0
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 02:45:59 AM »
I forgot to answer your question about how to determine the height of the ghost ring......I bent up some thin sheet brass for the rear sight and tried different heights and different hole sizes until I got one I liked.  I glued the brass "trial" sights in place with super glue and then knocked them off so I could glue on another version.  It took me about 4 tries to find the one I liked and then I made the steel sights from there.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:49:51 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 03:12:08 AM »
Here is a better photo of the one galudwig posted that's on a gun I made.It can be removed by swapping out the tang bolt for a shorter one.

Mitch Yates

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:12:51 AM by tallbear »

Offline recurve

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 03:23:46 AM »
That's what I'm looking for !  How might I order one from you Mr Yates?

galudwig

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 03:27:18 AM »
Here is a better photo of the one galudwig posted that's on a gun I made.It can be removed by swapping out the tang bolt for a shorter one.

Mitch Yates

Thanks for clarifying that Mitch. I saved the pictures for future reference, but forgot who made he rifle. I thought the sight was awesome in it's simplicity!

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 04:52:47 AM »
I might of miss it but what was your finished sight made from?(looks great)
Mine was made from a piece of weldable steel 1/8" thick bought from Ace Hardware. Weldable will rust or take browning, the other type they sell won't. I cut a piece to width and length, calculate the distance above the barrel I want (swamped barrels take a little more calculation), then I drill and countersink my peep hole. Then drill and tap a 8/32 hole  for mounting. Then place the piece in a vise with the calculated and scribed line even with the top jaw. Heat it a little right at the bend then using a 3 lb. sledge fold it right over, mine are mounted through the tang so the bend is more than a right angle. Then I set up the barrel and drill a tap drill hole through the tang just behind the breech plug, much care is taken because I'm drilling through a surface at an angle. Then using the drill chuck and a tapered rod as a guide I tap a hole full thread through the tang. I cut off a piece of 8/32 threaded bolt and using JB weld I glue the bolt into the threaded hole. The sight is adjustable for height and moves .032" per full revolution. Windage is through the front sight. Mine were drilled nearly dead center of the tang and required very little windage adjustment.
I make a new front sight and take care the blade is high enough to shoot low, then sight in by filing it down.
I don't have the talent most of the builders here have so my rifles are just plain hunting rifles. My goal was a small peep that worked and was as unobtrusive as possible while still providing the desired function.
American horses of Arabian descent.

ltdann

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 05:42:42 AM »
I forgot to answer your question about how to determine the height of the ghost ring......I bent up some thin sheet brass for the rear sight and tried different heights and different hole sizes until I got one I liked.  I glued the brass "trial" sights in place with super glue and then knocked them off so I could glue on another version.  It took me about 4 tries to find the one I liked and then I made the steel sights from there.

Roger ball.  Thanks.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 05:25:25 PM »
galudwig

No worries,I had to look at the photo you posted twice before I remembered it was a gun I made. ;D ;D I have to give credit for the idea to Lowell Haarer,I saw one he did on a rifle at the CLA shortly before I got a request from a customer to make this one.

recurve

I would be happy to make one for you but it would be several months before I could get too it.I'm pretty backed up with work at the moment.If you have time to wait feel free to shoot me an email at jmyii@hotmail.com and we can work out the details.

Mitch

ltdann

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »
Dave, I followed your links to your English build.  Nice!

IRT to the breech plug...that's not a hooked breech is it?  I've been looking for a breech plug (not hooked) with those nice side skirts.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 03:59:50 AM »
Lt Dan,

You are correct....that is not a hooked breech.  That is a Rice barrel and I think I replaced the breech plug with one from Track of the Wolf.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

ltdann

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 12:37:04 AM »
Lt Dan,

You are correct....that is not a hooked breech.  That is a Rice barrel and I think I replaced the breech plug with one from Track of the Wolf.

Hmm, no luck on TOTW.  I'll keep looking.  For some reason those flared side skirts just look...more elegant to me.

Thanks Dave.

Dan

Offline xx54

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 01:14:08 AM »
I built this rifle about 15 years ago and this might be close to what you are looking for. This rifle is a 54 caliber. The sight adjusts up and down and also has side to side movement. It sets on a ramp made  on to the rear of the  breach plug tang. Also the apature can be removed for late evening hunting. If you like this private message me and I will describe to you how it is made.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 03:19:18 AM »
Nice rifle, xx54.  Really like that silver elk!

I have made several ghost ring sights for some newer rifles - all the customers seemed to like them.  Little bit of steel, then cold blue.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Verified Women
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 04:45:16 PM »
I built this rifle about 15 years ago and this might be close to what you are looking for. This rifle is a 54 caliber. The sight adjusts up and down and also has side to side movement. It sets on a ramp made  on to the rear of the  breach plug tang. Also the apature can be removed for late evening hunting. If you like this private message me and I will describe to you how it is made.

I'm blown away by your skills. I normally like a plain rifle but that is beautiful. I too love the elk. Isaac Haines?

Love the peep too. Use the aperture for target shooting and remove it for hunting.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 08:39:46 PM »
This thread inspired me to fabricate a simple peep sight for my current project. Thanks guys.

Looks like it will work just fine.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

rfd

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 02:23:18 AM »
here's a quick and easy way to test out a rear peep sight that's non-invasive and instantly attaches anywhere you like on the barrel.

a peep hole neodymium magnet, $2.29 plus shipping from kjmagnetics.  the magnet is VERY strong and won't budge from recoil.  stick it anywhere on an octagonal barrel.