Author Topic: What should I do if anything?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
What should I do if anything?
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:22:43 AM »
So I learned to inlay brass wire the last couple days.  My problem is that somehow I’m sagging the 4 pieces in the front. I keep comparing mine to the original KRA photo and I stared at the drawing on the stock for two days. The original sags some in the front section but not quite as much as mine. Should I add some wire somewhere to bring it up?  I can’t rasp off that much wood to redo those four pieces. Once I add the carving,  do you think it will offset the wire nosediving?  Am I freaking out over nothing?

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: What should I do if anything?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
I see what you’re saying, but I think it’s fine.  Personally, I probably would have omitted the four curls in front of the fineale, but that’s just me.  I would do some incised carving around the front of the comb, and bring it back to fill the space above the wire.  I think that would balance things out if the wire bugs you.  Draw a design above the wire and see how it looks...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »
Hi,
Add carving around the comb as Ed suggested and you will be fine.  In fact, it may look better than the original.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »
I would do what Mr. Wenger says.  And you are going much faster than I.  Go on vacation for about 3 months, so I can catch up!
I did get the lock and trigger mostly inlet.....
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »
I am more a collector than a builder but will share my perspective.  Rather than more art work, you might consider a slight rework of the architecture in the transition of wrist to comb.  Look at my recent posting of a G. Feder rifle in the collecting section.  The box on it sets a little low in front, but the comb-to-wrist transition makes it look right.
Don

Offline J Henry

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 04:04:36 PM »
  Let it set for awhile,reads like you are chasing a herd of kittens,Going to many directions ,gets nothing accomplished,,Just let it set and come back to it later,fresh mind and work on it then. Breath deep and go for a walk,read a book,,
   I like what you have done sofar,but IMHO your getting close to over worked,IMMHO.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 04:06:52 PM by J Henry »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »
That's going to be fine, don't worry about it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 05:13:24 PM »
Don Stith's suggestion is worthy of consideration imo, define the wrist below the comb a bit more. Just enough to visually "raise" the wirework. I wouldn't get too involved with it though.

Currently all you can see is that bright brass work, step away for a while. give yourself a break. And know this; the brass wire will fade visually as it ages (tarnishes), and will not be at all so obvious as it is now while in the bright. You did a decent job on the wire work, be proud.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

ltdann

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 05:19:46 PM »
Looks fine to me.  I gave up using brass and went to silver, much easier to work.  Brass is too "springy" and always wanted to pop out.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »
Thank you all for the advice.  I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it and how much this hobby has become a part of my life.  I have a pile of leather, horns, and tools that I never thought I’d be interested in.  I’m searching for a lathe this very minute. Sleeping seems to be my biggest issue right now.  I normally sleep a solid 3 hours a nigh but with this hobby,  I’m lucky to get 3 hours a week.  Sounds bad,  but believe me,  this experience has been good for the mind and soul. 

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 02:16:00 AM »
So you build guns in your sleep too.......... Glad I'm not the only one..