General discussion > Antique Accoutrements

Indain horn

(1/3) > >>

jdm:
Picked this up about twenty-five years ago from Jimmy Dresslar. He felt it was Eastern Woodlands.  I was looking through some of my pictures and thought some of you might like to see it. Thanks

aaronc:
Thanks for the post,....whata prize.

Marcruger:
I am no expert, but the shape of the horn with the lobed top is Native American?  I also wonder about the scrim.  It is primitive (but totally cool), but it could have been done my Joe Farmer sitting in the cabin at night before bed. 

I am taking nothing away from an obviously beautiful horn.  Attributing "Native American" to it does not make it more desirable in my eye.  I think it is desirable no matter who made it.

Just my 2 cents worth. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

jdm:
[quote author=Marcruger l
I am no expert, but the shape of the horn with the lobed top is Native American?  I also wonder about the scrim.  It is primitive (but totally cool), but it could have been done my Joe Farmer sitting in the cabin at night before bed. 

I am taking nothing away from an obviously beautiful horn.  Attributing "Native American" to it does not make it more desirable in my eye.  I think it is desirable no matter who made it.

Just my 2 cents worth. 

I'm no expert either. Your correct it could have been made by anyone. When I got it from Jim he said he thought it was made by Native Americans. Alan Gutchess who at the time was curator of the fort Pitt museum ,identified it as Eastern Woodland Indian . He did this informally  through these pictures so he never had it in hand.   I just figured they were more knowledgeable than me. Thanks for looking.  Jim

rich pierce:
Terrific horn. Keep in mind that horns were made and sold or traded then often decorated by their owners. Of course an Eastern Woodslands Native American could have gone cow hunting I suppose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version