Author Topic: Hunting with a flinter  (Read 11819 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Hunting with a flinter
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 03:09:31 AM »
I'm hoping to get an elk with one. Hopefully, it will be before I get too old to elk hunt.

I did with a caplock, but a flint will be more special.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 05:22:32 PM »
I've yet to have a problem with cocking on game, but may fab up a stall (have a box of worn out gloves somewhere)-thanks for those hints.

My longrifle is SO DANG handy in the woods for balance and steep terrain navigation.  I get a chuckle out of the short and chunky guns now.  Feels weird to tote one anymore.  I sometimes carry binoculars and do wear modern gear (yet) but still-hunting is my thing, from sittin' spot to sittin' spot I glide.

No trail cams either, gracious no.  It's better not to know sometimes and during rut--all that stuff you saw on trail cam is half a county away runnin' for the gals.  AND THEN my buddy sends me this pic he snapped the other day down where we do hunting camp: 

Hold to the Wind

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 08:34:35 PM »
That's a spectacular buck, by the way.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 09:24:24 PM »
 Here's an old proverb that my Dad said was Indian about still hunting.
  "  White man walk much see little. "
     " Indian walk little see much... "  Or something like this. My Dad an uncle's always still hunted. They always pounded it in my head. That if you jump a deer your moving to fast. They shot most of the deer in there  bed.
They both hunted with 22s an 410 bores. It takes lots of patience like gun building.   Also I'm still learnin.......  Oldtravler

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 10:50:18 PM »
Here's an old proverb that my Dad said was Indian about still hunting.
  "  White man walk much see little. "
     " Indian walk little see much... "  Or something like this. My Dad an uncle's always still hunted. They always pounded it in my head. That if you jump a deer your moving to fast. They shot most of the deer in there  bed.
They both hunted with 22s an 410 bores. It takes lots of patience like gun building.   Also I'm still learnin.......  Oldtravler

My dad taught me to still hunt too. I got smacked in the head a lot until I learned to do it right.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 01:20:35 PM »
I still hunt primed and on half clock. I am the sentinel of my own safety and those around me.  I open the frizzen , dump the prime and feather the touch hole on those occasions I climb into a stand or need to overcome some other obstacle where controlling the muzzle may be difficult.
When in doubt always take the safer route. A few extra seconds or minutes may save a life and a lifetime of heartbreaking regret.
Other’s mileage may vary.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
Having been more into bird hunting with flint guns I never used a leather cover on the frizzen, no time to get the gun to full cock AND take the frizzen cover off before the bird is out of range. I hunt with flint fowling guns the same as modern doubles, with the front end pointed in a safe direction. A cover might work if you're working over a god dog, but you're still going to have birds flush when you least expect it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »
Indeed Mike,
There is a reason the old gunners never used a leather stall.  (in UK at any rate)

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 10:22:47 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right track EXCEPT take that brass plunger priming tool off from your neck and put it in your pocket or pouch. They are literally a bomb way too close to the flash!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 01:20:17 AM »
The first deer I had a shot at with my flintlock was spooked when I cocked the rifle, yes I missed him! From then on when standing or sitting in one place I have the lock on full cock and a leather stall on the frizzen.

When I move, lock goes on half cock and still have the stall on the frizzen.
Dennis

Just pull the trigger as you cock it then release when the cock passes full cock.
This has been used for a VERY long time. Probably from the time the first hunter had an animal spooked by a lock click.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 01:48:40 AM »
It works with any hammer gun that i've tried it on. Even modern guns.

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 02:39:47 AM »
The first deer I had a shot at with my flintlock was spooked when I cocked the rifle, yes I missed him! From then on when standing or sitting in one place I have the lock on full cock and a leather stall on the frizzen.

Dennis

Just pull the trigger as you cock it then release when the cock passes full cock.
This has been used for a VERY long time. Probably from the time the first hunter had an animal spooked by a lock click.
Dan

That works fine if you don't have gloves on like I did that morning. It was cold!! that morning and I had not gotten situated good, rifle leaning against pine tree while I was trying to find a comfortable place to sit on a steep bank. I was afraid to chance doing the silent cock thing with my gloves still on!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2018, 03:19:33 AM »

Dennis

Dan

That works fine if you don't have gloves on like I did that morning. It was cold!! that morning and I had not gotten situated good, rifle leaning against pine tree while I was trying to find a comfortable place to sit on a steep bank. I was afraid to chance doing the silent cock thing with my gloves still on!
Dennis

Dennis..........I have some wool gloves that are like mittens and fingerless gloves in one. The top part of the mitten folds back and i'm left with a fingerless glove that's perfect for shooting. It takes a nanosecond to fold the top back. You should look around for some.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 11:55:46 PM »

[/quote]
Dennis..........I have some wool gloves that are like mittens and fingerless gloves in one. The top part of the mitten folds back and i'm left with a fingerless glove that's perfect for shooting. It takes a nanosecond to fold the top back. You should look around for some.
[/quote]

I have a pair of those "mittens"; they're warmer than gloves and easy to get to one's trigger finger.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2018, 04:44:27 AM »
I have seen photos of those type gloves but never have seen them for sale. Anyone know who sells them?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2018, 05:56:03 AM »
They are called "Glo Mitts", I got mine at a local sporting goods store but places like Cabela's used to sell them also. Anything from 100% wool to thinsulate.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2018, 06:20:50 AM »
Those gloves are  very common up here but I don't like them much as I fill them with snow.  (and it's worse in winter.)   :-)
I just take my gloves off for shooting, or one of them at any rate.
  Speaking of cold  reminds me of my late uncle;    "When I was young we had candles........
And, when it was Really cold, ..we used to Light them!"

rfd

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2018, 12:58:47 PM »

Dennis

the only sane way to hunt both still and on the move.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2018, 04:51:31 PM »
I'm not sane then, RFD.    But who's arguing?   ;)
Half cock and No stall always.

Offline alacran

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 01:33:26 AM »
When I'm hunting out west, It is mostly spot and stalk. My favorite area is a walk in only area. It is about 6 miles from my house.
About 55 square miles. Seldom do I see any one. If I do is through my binoculars. I guess like MR. Bundook I must be insane. Half cock no stall. If I spot  animals that I think can be stalked.  I keep the gun on half cock. Once I start hearing the cows meeouing full cock baby.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline FDR

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2018, 02:41:40 AM »
I have seen photos of those type gloves but never have seen them for sale. Anyone know who sells them?
Dennis
https://www.rei.com/product/305045/fox-river-wool-glomitts

REI also offers them in other materials just look thru their selection of gloves.

Fred
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:45:48 AM by FDR »

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2018, 03:22:21 AM »
Dennis

REI also offers them in other materials just look thru their selection of gloves.

Fred

Fred,
Thanks, looks like the style I need. Now I am going to ask a naive question (since I have never own wool gloves) are the wool gloves as warm a Thinsulate gloves? How about resistance to moisture? I have a couple pairs of ski gloves with Thinsulate gloves with something similiar to Gortex on the outside. Very warm and sheds water pretty good.

Here in VA it gets cold, windy and wet/damp and I was always concerned about using wool gloves.
Dennis

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2018, 03:28:53 AM »
If thinsulate gets wet it will lose it's insulating properties. All  my thinsulate garments have a Gore Tex liner inside to help keep water out. Wool will give a measure of insulation (not sure how much) even after it gets wet.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline FDR

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »
Dennis

Fred

Fred,
Thanks, looks like the style I need. Now I am going to ask a naive question (since I have never own wool gloves) are the wool gloves as warm a Thinsulate gloves? How about resistance to moisture? I have a couple pairs of ski gloves with Thinsulate gloves with something similiar to Gortex on the outside. Very warm and sheds water pretty good.

Here in VA it gets cold, windy and wet/damp and I was always concerned about using wool gloves.
Dennis

Thinsulate gloves with Gortex will be much warmer Dennis. I wear neoprene gloves when it is raining. Weather is much milder in North Alabama so I get by with "finger free" wool gloves most of the time. I have leather Thinsulate gloves for the really cold mornings and riding the 4 wheeler in cold weather.

Fred

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2018, 01:08:46 AM »
Thanks Fred I thought probably that was the case. Virginia has a different kind of cold. I had an aunt spend the last part of Feb and most of March with us one time. She was a Buffalo NY native. She said it was the coldest place she has lived in! She would look at the outdoor thermometer, shake her head and say that thing has to be wrong! Even in the winter we have a lot of dampness. It gets cold but usually low of the mid 20's then up to the mid-30's. I assume never cold enough to dry the air out.
Dennis