Author Topic: LMF Stain Reducer  (Read 1056 times)

Offline moleeyes36

LMF Stain Reducer
« on: September 05, 2018, 07:49:59 PM »
I'm thinking of using some LMF stain in a project I'm working on, but I want to thin it considerably for a light coat over ferric nitrate.  Being basically a cheap "thrifty" person I hate to buy a can of their rather pricey stain reducer when I only need a small amount.  Can you thin LMF stain with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits?  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline bgf

Re: LMF Stain Reducer
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 09:22:32 PM »
The alcohol should work, but test a small batch on scrap first!  Actually LMF always seems very light on the first coat to me (even with vinegar and iron stain under it to darken wood),  but I like dark finishes.

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 09:25:28 PM »
I have thinned it out with denatured alcohol, once to use with a sprayer, and once for staining by wiping it on.  Worked well - and if it gets too dark, liberal amounts of alcohol will take just about all of it back off too.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 09:25:48 PM »
Obviously since LMF is alcohol based one would use that as a thinner.  Stay away from the mineral spirits.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »
Denatured alcohol works great, especially if you want to mix a few colors for the unique look -

Jon

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 12:57:40 AM »
Thanks all for the responses.  Not being a user of LMR stain I wasn't familiar with it.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer