Author Topic: Interesting Lehigh/Bucks stock remnant  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Interesting Lehigh/Bucks stock remnant
« on: September 06, 2018, 03:41:09 PM »
Has anyone seen this or otherwise know anything about it?  I've been going through archived photos.  I believe these date to 2008.

This piece appears to have mixed some characteristics of work typically associated with the Bucks region with what *to my eye* looks almost like an Oerter-style stock.  There clearly looks to be a stepped toe.  It also utilizes the short little cheek seen on Oerter's work and Allentown/Moll pieces.  Can't quite tell what type of star it may have had and the photos aren't high enough res to really zoom in but my first inclination is that it was a more Lehigh styled star.  Then of course there is the side opening box.

These are all I have and I have no idea where I got them.  Just wondering if there might be some more of the gun in pieces, a barrel maybe?  Or better photos?  It looks as though someone was beginning to repair wood at the toe.  I find it to be a really interesting piece, what's left of it.

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Interesting Lehigh/Bucks stock remnant
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »
Even with 200% mag, is all I can get is a straight Hunter's Star.
I did notice that the sideplate  would NOT have the typical arrow at the rear.
Not sure just what they were attempting there at the toe.
Sham really - it looks like at one time it was a fine piece of workmanship.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:57:36 PM »
It looks like a Bucks county , Verner, type star to me, as does the side plate mortice and pipe finial. The comb and double arch from the toe to to the triggers look kinda Lehighish to me. Maybe the fellow lived on the border.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 09:27:19 PM »
Buttplate width?  Seems odd to have no carving.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 11:29:22 PM »
Rich I have no idea of the butt width or any other dimension.  These photos are all I have and I unfortunately have no idea where they came from.  Just thought I'd post it hoping someone might recognize it or have worked upon it.  It's specifically interesting to me because based upon the assumed furnishings (looking at the mortises) I would not expect the stock to be shaped the way that it is.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 12:03:45 AM »
Is that a guard mortise?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 12:11:38 AM »
???  I assume there is a guard mortise but really can't see it in the photos.  The long elaborate mortise is the rammer entry pipe with a somewhat typical Bucks extended finial.

You can kind of see a hint of the forward guard mortise in the side/profile shots but really can't determine anything about it.

I really think the cheek star was a more Lehigh flavored star i.e. the Moll or Rupp guns, which does seem to go with the short little Lehigh-ish cheek.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 12:29:17 AM »
Some sort of hybrid..... The most surprising is the stepped toe.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 01:25:53 AM »
I think what I find so curious is not simply that it's a step wrist / toe, but the shaping of the stock in conjunction with the step.  Looking at the mortises for the missing furniture, my 'dating estimate' would probably be 1790s.  However, in that case, even if made up in the Lehigh area despite the Bucks furniture design, I would expect much more curvature to the stock like a Moll or Rupp rifle.  Yet, this step-stock looks awfully similar to an Oerter stock or something of that 1770s era.  It just makes it weirder than it already is!

Also looks really red, like a colored varnish.  Original?  No idea.