Author Topic: Something a little different from my shop.  (Read 10126 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Something a little different from my shop.
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:15:36 AM »
Back in April, Justin Urbantas wrote a post stating  "When I think of a Tennessee rifle I think of a good ol boy sitting under a big oak tree with a couple chisels and  a pocket knife inletting hand forged parts into a stock"  A couple of days later, timM. posted a couple of photos of a gun which inspired me to set out and try and emulate this rifle using a limited amount of tools.  I think the gentleman who built the rifle was a skilled woodworker who decided to build himself a rifle out of necessity.  I say "skilled woodworker"  because of the marking knife lines on the buttstock used to layout the center lines and all the evidence the stock provides us of the use of edged tools.   I think his tool "kit" was limited to tools like a hatchet, drawknife, spokeshave, planes and some gouges and chisels.  Based on all the faceted surfaces on the stock I don't think he ever touched the rifle stock with a rasp.

Here is the link to the original post.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=48967.25

Below is my rendition of that rifle.  The rifle was built around a 44" long Ed Rayl .50 caliber barrel, Jim Chambers late Ketland lock with a modified cock and a sugar maple stock blank from Wayne Dunlap.  No rasps  were used on the stock, only edged tools.   The barrel was draw files only and the lock was finished with files, oil stones and case hardened.

Comments are welcome as well as discussion.  If you are appalled, that is fine, if you like, that is fine also.  And yes, all those tear outs were on purpose.
David

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Something a little different from my shop.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:37:47 AM »
Well I like it of course, interesting concept gun, scraper finished I suppose? sINCE YOU INVITED OPEN DISCUSION ABOUT THIS SORT OF THING..... (!@*%&@ caps.... ::))I have wanted to build a true barn gun/poor boy with minimal hardware, not even a trigger guard. Every body poo poo'd me of course saying it would have never been done, too dangerous etc..... ::) Well, about 1 1/2 years ago a came across a gun at an auction that was a Lehigh barn gun, cap lock, NO trigger guard or side plate or muzzle cap or buttplate  or sideplate, just only what you need to make a gun function, It was a professionally built gun or I should say gunsmith made by a highly skilled smith as it was as well shaped as any high end Lehigh you'd want to see. Oh, it was painted a brick red as well. VERY nifty.... The most amazing thing is I forgot to go back later and buy it..... ???
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:39:46 AM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 12:40:24 AM »
I was part of the discussion of the original post and said that the only way to make that gun was to copy its crudeness  as some would say. Make it as it is and you hit a home run! I can say with all truthfulness that this is my most favorite rifle I've seen on this site. You built it as it is, all the warts of the original, in the same mindframe as the original builder. You can't get better than that. Awesome job!
Greg

Ps I also said I doubt there was a top notch builder who would take this on and do it right. Thank you for proving me wrong!

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:12:54 AM »
Since my favorite diversion for the last few decades has been primitive archery hunting gear, this appeals to me. I like it!

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »
Dave,
I believe you’ve hit a home run with this one in terms of what you were trying to do.
I’ve been blessed in my life to have spent a good number of years in Appalachia.
Your brand new rifle carries enough “Ole Timey credibility “ that perusing the pictures, I swore I could hear the banjo music..!!
PADDLE FASTER..!!!!! ;D
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 01:23:56 AM »
Since my favorite diversion for the last few decades has been primitive archery hunting gear, this appeals to me. I like it!

THIS one to me has as much appeal as the Alex Henry shown for sale made by
Don Brown. The stark simplicity and absolute usefulness is hard to deny.

Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 01:30:16 AM »
Holy snappin' a..holes David!  I'll bet there is absolutely no difference in the way this rifle shoots compared to any other rifle from your bench.  This is a rifle you could slide onto the bottom of a canoe all year long, and not see an additional bruise.  What a user friendly rifle!!  My applause.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 01:30:59 AM »
I bet that was a fun build David. I like it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 01:33:41 AM »
I'd like to add, I really like what you did with the lock, engraving is  right on for an English export lock. Even more, I really like the cock on this, I wish there was an option for a cock like that from Chambers, really "late-ens" it up. Of course a guy could file it out like you did, but it's so much easier to be lazy and wish for things. ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 01:34:10 AM »
Hi Dave,
Great gun but it has a big hole in it!  Must have been a big beetle larva. Since you are in Washington, carve a big NW orca face on it and some tourist will buy it up, or better yet they will think it was a gun used at the battle of Sitka.  All kidding aside, what a great concept and gun.  You are an incredible talent Dave.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 01:38:42 AM »
Neat gun and project, you certainly hit your mark!  But at this point just what would qualify as 'normal' coming out of your shop??    ;)
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 01:39:21 AM »
David, you have my address.......
I like it!!!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 02:04:58 AM »
 ;D ;D :D ;)..... HaHaHa,... Wayne,... you have about every other great Southern contemporary gun,... !!! ... might as well have this one too,... (HaHaHa),.... David has done a great job on this one (as always),... I believe there is a need for this type of rifle,... I spoke with a well known maker last year at the CLA show (who will remain un-named) about why no one builds a plain gun like Hershel does in FoxFire 5,... He told me that there are too many people willing to spend more money on a "fancy" rifle and more money is to be made in them,.... can't blame him,... that's his lively hood,... anyway,... fine job, David,.. congrats on a true to life re-creation,... !!!   

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 02:15:51 AM »
I would love to see someone show up at a shoot with that rifle & just wax the competition!  Years ago, when I was in Kentucky, there was a big old carpenter name Roger Simpson who could shoot a flintlock like nobody's business.  He would show up at shoots where he wasn't known, haul his plain .40 SMR out, and start telling people that he had bought it the week before at a garage sale and that it seemed to shoot OK.  He would then walk away with the match and leave everyone else scratching their heads.  He and some of his buddies would have rifle matches for "the championship of the known world".  He needed this rifle!
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 02:52:02 AM »
I remember Roger Simpson. I wonder what ever became of him? He shot with Ky’s Corps for years.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 03:50:40 AM »
  Well David you finally did it. You latched on to Dupreys style. If you build it an it shoots they will want it. Have seen a lot of your work . You continue to amaze all of us her. Do believe there is nothing that you can't make it do..!
  You have my utmost respect as a great craftsman an friend. Well done I like this one a lot !!!! Oldtravler

Offline MontanaFrontier86

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 04:04:26 AM »
that looks better then my builds using thousands of dollars worth of tools. Nice job!

timM

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 05:11:39 AM »
Great recreation David! I really, really like your rifle.  The original rifle you based this on resonated for me in a big way and so does this rifle.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=48967.25

The term “Rifleman's Rifle” comes to mind looking at your build.  For me along the way (lifetime of guns and hunting) I have seen a few standouts deserving that title.  They were typically military conversion Trapdoors, Krag's, Springfield's and Mauser's that just had that special glow.  Just the special few of many in that realm. Guns that speak, typically having low value, high use and well loved, to me this rifle is reminiscent of that.  Cool rifle!

n stephenson

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 07:00:29 AM »
David, Very neat concept and final product. I give you credit , sometimes it is hard for a great craftsman ," to step back a few notches" . You did a marvelous job of it ! I bet it was pretty fun too! , You might have started something here  ;) . Nate

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 07:18:46 AM »
Love it David!
But I'll bet the barrel is perfectly inletted.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:19:31 AM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline alacran

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 10:31:13 AM »
I have a very good friend in KY, who has the ability to take a Kibler SMR and without trying it would end up looking like this rifle. In fact anything he touches becomes rustic on contact. I tell him not to improve his skills since real craftsmen have to work hard at making things look like they came from another century. He has a natural knack.
There is a rifle at the Pea Ridge Battlefield  visitors center in Arkansas. It is stocked in cherry if I remember correct .
Which has all the attributes of David's rustic. Quite believable.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »
 I LOVE it but I do have a question ...

I would’ve thought once ‘almost done’, that one would have scraped out the layout lines, comments?  Even for such a simple build, I can’t believe that they would have been left in place ... ?
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
I LOVE it but I do have a question ...

I would’ve thought once ‘almost done’, that one would have scraped out the layout lines, comments?  Even for such a simple build, I can’t believe that they would have been left in place ... ?
With all the other warts why scrape out the center lines?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 04:37:12 PM »
I'd like to add, I really like what you did with the lock, engraving is  right on for an English export lock. Even more, I really like the cock on this, I wish there was an option for a cock like that from Chambers, really "late-ens" it up. Of course a guy could file it out like you did, but it's so much easier to be lazy and wish for things. ;)

SOMEONE on this forum used the double throated cock from the Ketland that I
used to make on the Chambers late Ketland and it looked really GOOD.

Bob Roller

Offline t.caster

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 04:48:40 PM »
I can see the start of a new trend! Everyone needs a "Beater gun" 8)
Tom C.