Author Topic: only one  (Read 3058 times)

Offline smylee grouch

only one
« on: October 21, 2018, 07:57:09 AM »
I was just thinking of one of my last posts and realized how many different style rifles that I own. I'm sure others here are probably in the same boat with more than one gun for the same type of shooting. I have rifles that I prefer for hunting, trail walks,paper punching offhand, chunk gun,bench shooting,cross stix,small game hunting, etc. Some of these I have two or more guns for the same style of shooting. I should thin out the herd but I have a hard time picking just one. Does anyone else have this problem? May be there is a support group for people like me.

Offline Bigmon

Re: only one
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
AMEN!! Way too many guns, not good enough with any of them.
BEWARE THE MAN WITH ONE GUN

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 05:04:29 PM »
I don't have any....at least none that I keep more than a few months. When I was able to keep a gun I had a squirrel rifle, a target/hunting rifle, a smooth bore for shooting PRB and two fowling guns for hunting/skeet. It would be nice to get back to that many guns one  day....maybe when I retire!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:28:51 PM »
A guy can NEVER have too many guns, but Bigmon has a point.
One of the guys here has only one ML - a 20 bore smoothbore.
He shoots it pretty much like a rifle on the trail & it breaks birds
with monotonous regularity.

too many - not/ to many
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:01:35 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 11:18:49 PM »
Having just one gun does have logic behind it and probably better shooting.  The problem I see is that first of all I develop an attachment to just about every one of them I acquire.  And then - I've experienced this more than once - what if a problem develops, maybe it gets broken or worse.  It's always good insurance to have a backup gun.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 11:27:17 PM »
Daryl:  I'm pretty sure that Norm can be corrupted.  When he sees my (daughter's) Kibler .40 he'll want one, I know.  Then it's all downhill from there.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 12:02:55 AM »
Seems all my family members that die leave me their guns.  IIt makes it nearly impossible to part with them.  My guess is that they will all be sold in a yard sale one day. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 12:23:59 AM »
I’ve got to build a more accurate shooting smoothbore for personal use. I’ve got the parts, just need to get to it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline trentOH

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 12:34:00 AM »
Seems all my family members that die leave me their guns.  IIt makes it nearly impossible to part with them.  My guess is that they will all be sold in a yard sale one day.

Please let me know when and where that yard sale is, and then tell NO ONE else!   :-X

Davemuzz

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »
It's always good insurance to have a backup gun.

That's what I told my wife. Then she murmured something about why I keep asking for a bigger gun safe.   :o

Offline Frank

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »
Having to many guns is not the problem. It's all the shooting bags you need to put together for each one.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »
A friend of mine had a messy divorce, he actually moved out to a pup tent in a recreation area. When the dust settled he went back to get his guns, turns out his ex had a yard sale and sold his high dollar guns for less than $20 each at the sale.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »
 Yikes! That's vicious.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 11:24:58 PM »
I should thin out the herd but I have a hard time picking just one. Does anyone else have this problem?  quote from sg

My answer is 'no'.  I have a nice variety of rifles and smoothbores, and handguns.  For example, I have three 50's and three .40's.  So what?  I love them all and shoot them all from time to time.  But I do not have a .32 or a .45, and though I have the parts for builds, I don't have a .54 or a .58 either.  But I have all the stuff to build both of the latter, and eventually, I'll do that.  I will make another room into a lock up rather than sell anything.  I've got about a dozen builds for myself coming up, if I live long enough, and that's the prime reason I quit building for other folk.

One rifle/gun...don't think so.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 11:38:36 PM »
Yep^^^^^me too.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 11:47:24 PM »
I need to add a room to my house so I'll have more corners for guns. :-X

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 04:13:50 AM »
I guess I'm in trouble.....living in a yurt. ???

rfd

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 11:34:35 PM »
a smoothbore .62, and a pair of rifles that are .40 and .54 = don't want or need more'n that, everything else been sold off or given away, life's been good to me so far. :)

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 06:20:58 AM »
If having too many guns means there some in the back of the safe that never get shot then I am guilty. Most of those are CF's and I'm considering selling a couple, possibly to finance parts for another flintlock.
My black powder guns I've done a little differently. I had several production guns stuck in my gun closet, too long for the safe, that I intended to keep. But when I built my first flintlock, an Isacc Haines .54 from TOW, and spent some time shooting it I was forever corrupted. That stock was the most comfortable and best fitting stock I'd ever shouldered and it seemed to cut the recoil of heavy loads in half. So I built another one just like it but in a B weight barrel and .40 caliber. They almost feel identical except the B is a tad heavier and has set triggers. Almost like having just one gun.
After awhile I sold all the other ML's because I had no desire to shoot any of them.
I don't claim to be a gun builder but several years ago I was in a large deer hunting lease and a member approached me about building him a rifle just like mine. I ended up building 3, one for his dad, and another for a family friend. Starting with my first, each rifle was better than the one before. By that I mean I was finally getting a handle on the architecture and some basic decoration. So I'm wanting to build one more (well, at least one) rifle. Either a B weight in .50 caliber, or another .54 with better wood. It will have the exact same stock as my others as close as I can make it.
See what I'm doing here? I planned on building 2 identical feeling rifles, a large bore and a small bore, to cover all my shooting needs from squirrels to turkey to deer and elk. But what am I doing, I'm already feeling obsessed to build another when I can only shoot one at a time. I tell you, it's a disease.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2018, 07:06:53 AM »
I have tried to refrain from building more for myself.  In fact, over the last number of years I have refrained from building much of anything save for some bags and two rifles. 

Fast forward to now..... I decided I wanted three rifles that I wanted but had never built for myself from back years ago so I went/am going  after them.

Now retired, I have the time and the want to, to go on with these projects.  They will not be for sale but rather to satisfy a desire on my part to have them.  Do I need them, well in my mind I do.  I have changed my approach to building and now "farm out" some work like barrel inletting and even some shaping.  I don't have the stamina to work 8+ hours a day on a gun like I once did so I look at this outside work like apprentice work.

That said, I am having fun.......  That's what its all about for me.

Do I need more guns.....  well, that depends on how one looks at it.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »
It's always good insurance to have a backup gun.

That's what I told my wife. Then she murmured something about why I keep asking for a bigger gun safe.   :o
Ask her how many shoes she has.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »
Wow.  You guys are scary.  Thought I was the only one with an inventory issue.

The rule with my wife Anne is one gun comes in, one gun goes out.  That way I can flip a piece so's I can buy another bunch of parts. 

I shoot 'em to make sure everything works right and then decide whether or not I want the gun, trying to keep a spread of calibers.

The good news is I only regret giving up that one gun.

The bad news is, I only regret giving up that one gun....

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »
The bad news is, I only regret giving up that one gun....

That saying reminds of my last divorce.   I sold a couple rifles to pay for it.  Wish I wouldn’t have.  Sure miss those rifles and wish I had them back.