Author Topic: James Donn & Brother Canton, IL 5 gauge fowler  (Read 2613 times)

ClaudeH

James Donn & Brother Canton, IL 5 gauge fowler
« on: September 13, 2018, 04:22:12 AM »
A friend has come into this 5 gauge fowler which he says the following:   It bears the name James Donn & Brother and Canton (IL) on the barrel.  The barrel has Birmingham proofs.  It is 5 gauge.  It has a solid rib.

Does anyone know anything about James Donn & Brother?

Does anyone have any other useful or interesting comment regarding this fowler?

Thanks!

ClaudeH

Re: James Donn & Brother Canton, IL 5 gauge fowler
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 04:43:53 AM »
My bad!  James Donn is no mystery at all!

A simple Google of [ "James Donn" Canton IL ] yields all sorts of information.

As you were!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:05:50 PM »
I think it is probably a market gun, considering the size of the bore. Our local museum just got three big old market guns donated to them. There are two sixes, and a four gauge. The sixes are as plain as a stick, but the four is tricked up like a true fowler, with checkering, and a few silver inlays.
 I live on Clear Lake in Northern California, where market hunters hunted waterfowl for the markets in San Francisco.

Hungry Horse

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 04:37:46 AM »
James Donn (James Donn & Brother after 1873) was a prolific maker of shotguns of various types. I have 12 of them, including a 6 gauge percussion double and a massive sidelock breechloading single barreled 8 gauge. Donn opened his shop in 1859, having apprenticed to an earlier Canton, Illinois maker, James R. McQuaid. He started out as a maker of percussion rifles (I have four) but later re-apprenticed himself to an unnamed shotgun maker in Chicago. After his return to Canton, he made almost entirely shotguns, both percussion and breechloading. He took his brother William as a partner in 1873, and they continued the partnership until 1900. James Donn continued to work alone until 1911, although he could hardly compete with the prices of mass-produced shotguns. I have seen one hammerless double, which must have been among his last.

I suspect that Donn learned about making shotguns from Oliver P. Secor, who worked at various times in both Chicago and Peoria. In turn, Donn had an apprentice named Orlando B. Thorpe, who went on to make shotguns in Havana, Mason County, Illinois. I have an 8 gauge "live bird gun" and a 10 gauge double, made by Thorpe.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
James Donn (James Donn & Brother after 1873) was a prolific maker of shotguns of various types. I have 12 of them, including a 6 gauge percussion double and a massive sidelock breechloading single barreled 8 gauge. Donn opened his shop in 1859, having apprenticed to an earlier Canton, Illinois maker, James R. McQuaid. He started out as a maker of percussion rifles (I have four) but later re-apprenticed himself to an unnamed shotgun maker in Chicago. After his return to Canton, he made almost entirely shotguns, both percussion and breechloading. He took his brother William as a partner in 1873, and they continued the partnership until 1900. James Donn continued to work alone until 1911, although he could hardly compete with the prices of mass-produced shotguns. I have seen one hammerless double, which must have been among his last.

I suspect that Donn learned about making shotguns from Oliver P. Secor, who worked at various times in both Chicago and Peoria. In turn, Donn had an apprentice named Orlando B. Thorpe, who went on to make shotguns in Havana, Mason County, Illinois. I have an 8 gauge "live bird gun" and a 10 gauge double, made by Thorpe.

Sir you mentioned a 8 bore live bird gun  is it a breech loader or a muzzle loader  any chance of a image . Here in the UK  we refer to them has live pigeon guns  of which I have a collection
Feltwad

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 03:24:07 PM »
Sir you mentioned a 8 bore live bird gun  is it a breech loader or a muzzle loader  any chance of a image . Here in the UK  we refer to them has live pigeon guns  of which I have a collection
Feltwad

If it is a muzzleloader, post away.  If it is a breechloader, I would suggest emailing the pictures directly.  Thanks.

-Ron
ALR Moderator
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

ClaudeH

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 07:09:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Curt.  I saw that you have several pages on him in your Vol. 1.

My friend called me at work to ask about this so I pulled out your Gunmakers of Illinois to look for him when I got home, but my moth-eaten brain searched for 'Dodd' and I didn't realize my mistake until I saw my notes again at work!

I think this gun will be on the way to Rock Island this week.