Author Topic: Help with a halfstock lock.....?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Bigmon

Help with a halfstock lock.....?
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:21:18 AM »
A friend showed up here today with this nice old halfstock.  He had done his research and has lots of info on the gun, but no idea of the lock maker.  All there is is the plate.  He needs everything else.  We're just hoping someone can ID the lock as being one of the type that was common at that time and perhaps he can get the parts that will work?

I believe the rifle was made by A. Bonnet of Clarion or Brookville, Pa.
The barrel is marked Brown & Hearth of Pittsburgh.
It is dated 1887
But we can see no names at all on the lock plate.
Thanks in advance.

poem little orphant annie

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: Help with a halfstock lock.....?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 01:43:35 AM »
I don't know who, maybe a Golcher . If y'all wanting to shoot it,maybe you can sweet talk Mr Roller into fitting some of his great internals to it.
Looks like a good project. Have a goodun, Dave 8) 8)

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:39:16 AM »
Another problem you can see in one of the photos is that the under rib is broken off about 6" from the muzzle.  I wonder if any of the new ribs would actually match?  Really neat how that rib is attached.  Doesn't seem to be with screws, but pins staked into the barrel then peened in the rib.  Needs a couple other parts but they should be no problem. Looks like the drum is not quite turned far enough as the nipple doesn't seem to point verticle enough, but won't know that until we get the lock built and see where the hammer is?
BTW, the rifle appears to be 36 cal.  The wood is really some decent curly maple.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 03:09:45 PM »
The barrel is more likely marked Bown & Tetley Pittsburgh.  There are lots of them out there. It shouldn’t be hard find the internals 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:11:00 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
If it's a Bown & Tetly barrel I'd bet on a Golcher lock.
Mark
Mark

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 11:48:52 PM »
Bown & Tetley made locks as well.  I just sold a Bown & Tetley Pittsburgh rifle with lock and barrel so marked.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.