Author Topic: Plan n Perdy Riffles  (Read 27748 times)

galudwig

Re: Plan n Perdy Riffles
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2018, 02:25:31 AM »
A few things about the Jack Rouse rifle... An old friend who taught me many of the basics and who is no longer with us.

I know of a couple half stocks that he made - they are basically his standard rifle from the entry pipe back except for the barrel wedge.  At least one was made on request and another the result of a broken fore stock.

His locks were a hybrid of Dixie Ketland plate, frizzen and frizzen spring with the balance Siler parts.  His butt plate was made from two pieces of electrical conduit bent, sawn and brazed together.  Trigger guards were two pieces cold forged and brazed.

He started building these before there was much interest in being HC.  He developed his own style and stuck with it.  His rifles set numereous off-hand records at Friendship in the hands of several different shooters including himself.  I know at least one of those records still stands, because it's a 50-5x by Lois Spenlau.

Good memories,
Thanks for posting it.

Jeff

I was fortunate to be able to meet and talk with Jack several years before he died. I bought this rifle at an auction not far from me back in 2006. I didn't know who Jack was until one of the older shooters in my club told me about him. I took the rifle to Friendship and looked him up. I spent several pleasant hours talking to Jack. He took the rifle apart and told me all about how he built his guns. He told me many of the things you mentioned. One thing I'll always remember Jack saying is that a guy once asked him to build him a "Hershel House" rifle. Jack told him "I won't build you a Hershel House rifle, but I will build you a Jack Rouse Rifle!" Yes, his style was his own and his rifle is still one of my prized possessions. I've seen many of his guns at Friendship and other places since then and they are easily recognizable; plain and perdy!

It was interesting that he also said that his style was partly influenced by a Beck (style) rifle that was awarded (annually) to the winner of the Buchele Match at Friendship. He said that the rifle disappeared in the early 80's.  Well, it reappeared back in the NMLRA vault years later and was on display at the education building at the Fall, 2016 shoot.  Jack said that rifle held really nice, but shot terribly (you wouldn't know it by the scores though...)!

Sorry if I strayed too far off topic with this. I just wanted to give some recognition to a lesser known builder of really fine rifles!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 02:27:45 AM by galudwig »

Offline jim alford

« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2019, 02:11:55 AM »
I enjoyed this thread immenslely , so I thought I would try to resurrect it by posting some photos of a recent project to come out of my shop . The rifle is SOMEWHAT of a copy of a original owned by a friend and fellow member of the WASHINGTON HISTORICAL GUNMAKERS GUILD . No matter what else it might be called , it certainly is plain .

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2019, 02:33:01 AM »
Some might call it plain but to me it has some very nice lines and at first glance looks to be nicely put together.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2019, 02:37:51 AM »
Its plain. Plain purty she is ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

galudwig

« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2019, 04:03:32 AM »
I like it!  8)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2019, 06:32:16 PM »
  That is a mighty fine rifle...!!!!  Don't need no fancy smancy it's a huntin gun...! I like it..!!!!   Oldtravler

Offline blienemann

« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2019, 02:33:46 AM »
I agree that Jim's rifle sure is sweet, and there is much to study and enjoy - the lines, shape of butt and cheekpiece, the angled photos let us see the architecture on display, and the sculpting involved here.  To know that this effort is based upon an original is interesting.

On a related note, Brian Barker has posted a nice rifle in progress - with the title of "plain rifle".  I'll borrow several of his photos.

I don't know how far Brian will take this rifle, but I can't help admiring the careful and informed shaping at this point.

What do you think leads to these plain rifles?  Is it some customers who have a limited budget and thus ask for a plain, less costly rifle?  Maybe that is where it starts for some?  I began stocking in the Rocky Mtn fur trade interest, stocked plain full and half stock rifles at the lowest cost possible using Sharon kits or other "starts" where possible - in the southern mtn to Hawken styles for friends and customers who paid me enough for parts for the next one plus a little extra.  Allowed me to improve my skills, and learn to work faster in some areas.  $450 in the white in those days, $550 - $600 finished!

Went on to build fancier rifles as I learned more about the old guns, and some folks wanted fancy.  They also wanted to see what i could build, carve and engrave where appropriate.  Then when I would display work, it was easy to show what goes into a rifle - plain or pretty, and the importance of feel and balance.  It seemed that folks new to the interest liked the showy work, and it was the more educated customer who had studied old guns and handled contemporary rifles that came to like the plain versions.  I remember sending some rifles out in the white or plainly finished, saying that the customer could bring it back for a patchbox and more decoration someday, if they wished.

What are your thoughts?  And thanks for all these great examples!  Bob

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2020, 01:07:33 AM »
I'd thought I'd just set this here as this is one of my favorite threads and it hasn't been posted to in a while. Al Martin .54 Peter Angstadt-y Kutztown-ish Schimmel. This is one he finished up for the Fall Frolic and I was very happy to add it to my small but growing AM herd.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 01:15:32 AM by Bob McBride »

Offline utseabee

« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2020, 01:32:04 AM »
I'd thought I'd just set this here as this is one of my favorite threads and it hasn't been posted to in a while. Al Martin .54 Peter Angstadt-y Kutztown-ish Schimmel. This is one he finished up for the Fall Frolic and I was very happy to add it to my small but growing AM herd.

That is an awesome rifle! This is also one of my favorite threads. Glad you kept it going with this fine addition.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #134 on: December 25, 2020, 03:34:22 AM »
I once built an underhammer pistol, lock & stock, breech, etc, and used a piece of rifle barrel - in 24 hours.  That was in 1979 & I haven't built any ML's since.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2020, 06:09:31 AM »
I once made a rifle in three weeks.  I was unemployed at the time, and had nothing else to do.  I didn't knock myself out doing it either.  It's the gun I call the "fire gun" (don't ask) and it is not together anymore.

I don't know how long it took me to make this one, but not terribly long.  I had just gotten to see and handle a Boyer barn gun.

(I knocked the top of the comb down some after these photos were taken)

This one took me about 12  years

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2020, 06:33:28 PM »
Nice pick Bob!
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2020, 04:44:26 AM »
Ok, my turn.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2021, 10:51:15 PM »
Nice Dane. Love it.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2021, 12:09:56 AM »
I just happened to find this thread today and have spent the last two hours reading and drooling over the pictures. Please keep the pictures coming

Tony

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2021, 05:34:53 AM »
Smallpatch...one time looking firearm...another of my favorites...  Oldtravler

Offline utseabee

« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2021, 06:56:56 PM »

Just thought I would keep this thread at the top with a plain little Lehigh that I got late in the summer. I didn't have anything smaller than a .58, so I figured this little .40 would fit the bill for club shoots and hunting turkey. It sure is fun to shoot.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2021, 10:54:46 PM »
Couple of plain rifles I built.

Offline Viktor

• Starting Member
« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2021, 11:59:58 PM »
Today was my turn to pick up a beautiful schimmel from Allen Martin, a .40 caliber with a 48" barrel and a Siler lock.  The rifle is even prettier in person.  I had a great time chatting with Allen about flintlocks and admiring his shop.  Next will be the fun of working up a squirrel load.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2021, 02:16:09 AM »
Viktor,

Al, does like to talk.  Not a nicer person on the planet. Build’s a pretty nice gun too!
In His grip,

Dane