Author Topic: Plan n Perdy Riffles  (Read 28012 times)

Offline Bill Paton

Re: Plan n Perdy Riffles
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 09:10:47 PM »
Jud’s rifle that Bob posted yesterday (Sept 19) brings my favorite Alaska hunting rifle to the forefront. Years ago, I gathered parts from the Log Cabin Shop to make myself a rifle. With my medical career putting me on call much of the time, the build didn’t happen. In April of 1988, Peter Marshall offered to fly me into a remote river to hunt moose with him, using flintlocks.  I took the plain stock blank, 60 cal swamped barrel, butt plate, and side plate to our mutual friend Jud Brennan, who reluctantly agreed to stock the simple rifle for me in time for the hunt. He had a rifle in process with the perfect stock profile for me, so he used that architecture for my rifle. I just said I wanted a plain, pre-golden age rifle.

The result is quite similar to the gun Bob showed yesterday, but it has a simple two piece patch box, nose cap, and entry pipe. Jud wouldn’t sign it, I think because it wasn’t fancy enough. It got its first moose that fall thanks to Peter’s invitation and airplane. It has taken two more moose and two caribou since then. Years later, Jud agreed to sign it, maybe because Bob’s efforts made him think “plan and perdy riffles” didn’t need to be disrespected! Thanks, Bob, and Jud, and Peter, and the moose, too, of course.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline blienemann

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 05:49:26 AM »
Bart and Jeff – hope the pics of Jud’s quick rifle were of interest.  Dave – more pics coming if still interested.  Bob – I’ve noted in the Moravian trade records that as the day got longer in spring and summer, the formal work day was made longer, and later when men were paid, the pay went up a bit for the longer day.  The gunshops had large windows over the stocking benches, and I don’t know if they worked beyond dark with a lantern?  Maybe forge work or other components or projects that don’t require the good lighting, and stock work and decoration in good light?  Bill – some here might enjoying seeing a few pics of your Brennan rifle?

I think I’ll slip in an Eric K piece here, as he was exploring plain guns before most others were thinking of this.  Chime in Eric on your intent here, and finishes.  The profile, bold facets in buttstock and bold curl grabbed my attention when I first saw it.  I loaned this .69 Bucks County sort of smooth rifle to friends in the Northeast where it saw much use in reenacting circles, has been photographed and painted several times, and the guys loved it.  Works well as a farmer’s gun from F&I through Revolution.  Over time the wood dried out with less contrast, and folks would encourage me to add finish to bring out the bold curl, but I don’t believe in messing with another man’s work.  Burnishing a stock is another way to pump up curl and contrast, and add a bit of shine to the surface, closing pores.  This piece and the copy of the Dixon rifle have a diamond shaped wrist with rounded corners – as does rifle # 52 in Shumway Vol I.  Not very common, but very interesting when encountered.

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 06:16:52 AM »
That is a beautiful rifle. I find it interesting, but not surprising, that a lack of embellishment really draws your eye to the lines of the rifle. Without the bling, you can't hide poor form.

DAve

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »
Bob, You beat me to the punch.  I started reading this thread this morning and was going to post pictures of the Kettenburg rifle when I returned from the range.  I was pretty sure it would fit right in.  I have added Eric's description of the gun below, hope you don't mind Eric.  All I can say is that until you handle this rifle you cannot appreciate how bold and robust the architecture is.  I have enjoyed having it in my collection.
David

Eric's description of this smooth rifle when made: 
Early Bucks County 1760's-1770's styling. I consider this to be very representative of a true barn rifle/common rifle of the 18th century as it is certainly NOT over-finished. The flintlock, being a commercial product, is of course finished nicely; however the barrel has simply been brightened to reflect cleaned-up secondary usage. The brass triggerguard has been filed only as would be necessary to remove the coarse casting texture and the tang bolt is threaded into a simple nut - there is no triggerplate. A single rod pipe is evident as well as a single lock nail. No buttplate. The stock has been very quickly scraped to final form with heavy roughing scrapers and colored with nitrate of iron; the stock displays numerous scraper-marks as well as VERY prominent rippling. Raw linseed oil and beeswax constitutes the finish.
This piece is a bit used but displays no signs of abuse; this is a big, sturdy gun and is very architecturally pleasing. The maple figure is VERY prominent however the crude uncooked Linseed Oil will cause the stock to darken slightly over a period of time.  This piece is as historically accurate as you can get! Stocked entirely by-hand in a traditional shop.  I am a full-time custom gunmaker working within a 17th-18th century context. This is a very affordable price and the piece is quite collectable.
•   Barrel:  .69 caliber (14 gauge) smooth, octagonal fading to round 40"long. Front and rear sights.
•   Lock:  Chambers "Early Ketland" flintlock, casehardened.
•   LOP:  approx. 13 1/2"
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:48:08 PM by David Rase »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 12:07:06 AM »
Boy that's a blast from the past.  I'd have done a couple of things differently if I made it right now, but just little stuff.

I do think it's pretty accurate insofar as a real quickie, a simple utility gun.  I think it's in many ways similar to Bob's "rasp rifle" he made, except I scraped that sucker heavily, stained it and put a very crude finish on it.  The idea there was a 'parts gun' made up of spares, which it in fact was.

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 01:32:40 AM »
Bob,

Thanks for the add'l pix.

I really like all the guns, but the Jack Brooks and especially that Brennan really turn my crank.

I have a feeling that there may be one very similar in my future.   ;)

Thanks,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 02:01:52 AM »
That E.K. rifle is absolutely the bee's knee's I.M.O.   

Offline blienemann

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2018, 05:12:16 AM »
Hope you’re still enjoying this thread, and different examples of plain and pretty rifles by good stockers.  Since we have Eric K with us, let’s show one more piece by him – then move on to Allen M and others?  Eric brought this to an early CLA meeting – how many years ago?  It seemed to catch folks by surprise, and went home with him, which I quickly took advantage of.  Interesting that in these last few years, painted rifles are very popular. 

Looking back to the unfinished copy of the Dixon rifle, this is an example of what a creative owner might have done with such a rifle in the white.  Some were painted red like trade guns, others finished in various ways.  Hopefully Eric will share his thinking here.  Note the diamond shaped wrist again, with a ridge extending into butt.  All these rifles “fit” well, and thus shoot well.  This little rifle won every match it entered, as well as being a conversation piece.  A nice profile and simple lines, with an artistic finish.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2018, 05:50:15 AM »
That rifle has shown up a few times ..I think it was shown on Eric's website at one time. I've admired it for years. I believe that the  designs are a dye rather than an actual paint, but I'm not sure if that pertains to this one or another of his works. If I recall correctly, there is at least one more done in a similar fashion. Thank you for showing these. They really deserve to be seen and admired.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2018, 05:25:24 AM »
I hope Eric and others will add a few thoughts re his painted rifle last evening.  The rifle would have been a joy to carry and shoot – even without the applied art.

Allen Martin was next up, and happy to stock up a plain rifle – he often proclaims “inside every fine longrifle is a schimmel”.  I think he means what Dave posted – that a plain piece “really draws your eye to the lines of the rifle.”  Here’s a pic of Allen to prove he enjoys simple projects.

I asked for something long and slim, with a bit more drop to fit me – and as plain as he felt comfortable with.  Allen delivered - pretty to look at and sweet to shoot, like the other rifles here.  Note again the line from wrist to butt, with a wider than high wrist that approaches a diamond shape.  The lock panels on these rifles are kept slim to fit the overall profile, and the Liberty head reminds us of this region and its stockers.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2018, 06:54:18 AM »
A few years ago when I attended the NMLRA Gunmakers classin Bowling Green, KY. Iwas in Hershel House’s class and it was great fun. Hershel has all kinds of little techniques to cut down on build time. There was a lot of discussion and a few that had know Hershel for many years, told us that in the 70s, Hershel could make a rifle in around a weeks time. They did not elaborate on hours spent per day or how they were decorated. Maybe someone on the forum may know more about Hershel’s rifles back then and you certainly do not see them come up for sale very often.
elkhorne

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 03:26:30 PM »
This is a capitol thread, keep the pictures coming!

DAve

Offline blienemann

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2018, 05:35:04 AM »
Elkhorne – some folks here should know how Herschel works, and how long it takes him to stock various rifle styles.  In Foxfire V he built a poor boy rifle for the young authors in a week, while taking time to sketch, explain and photograph the steps.  I reckon he could have built that nice rifle in 3 days without an audience – which might be where this idea came from, now that I think of it?  Herschel asked $500 for a rifle like this in 1979!

Ken Netting made his living as a carpenter, learned to use hand tools accurately and efficiently, and stocks from the blank.  Ken has developed a style of his own, likes a slim profile and in order to get that look, the wrist is often wider than high.  I asked Ken for a 3 day rifle, or the simplest rifle he could build, sent him a short swamped Rayl barrel and this is what came back.  Probably the simplest, and definitely the lightest rifle from this group.  Weighs less than 5 pounds in wormy walnut, easy to shoot one handed as a pistol (Hawkeye or Jeremiah Johnson style with a rifle in each hand), or tuck in shoulder and sight with one hand, lantern in the other.  Would make a fine coon hunting rifle.  Simple hand forged guard, fancy nail in heel of butt, couple ramrod pipes and a nice warm finish.

Ken really enjoys stocking fowlers – long, slim, plain and pretty.  Here’s Ms. Liberty in cherry from New England  - she looks good on the wall, and feels real good in the hand.

Offline Bill Paton

Plain utilitarian Brennan rifle
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 07:46:12 AM »
Per Bob Lienemann’s suggestion, here is the plain pre-golden age moose rifle that Jud Brennan reluctantly made for me in 1988, which I mentioned on this thread on Sept. 20, 2018. It is 60 cal, has a 42” swamped barrel, and weighs 8 lb 7 oz. It is a joy to carry and shoot.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:47:34 PM by Bill Paton »
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »

It is a full sized rifle..

But it looks small on last January’s full-sized moose!

My Yup’ik Eskimo wife and me accepting and respecting the gift.
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »
Bill, that is a remarkable rifle - great lines, great (though minimal) carving.  Very pleasing to my eyes.

And your huge moose is certainly proof that it is a good shooter!  Can you mail me a hind quarter?  Packed in ice though!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
Something in the genera of Ken Nettling's gun.

Talking plain and simple, I thought I would post up some pics of I rifle I built back in the 80's for a really good friend and fellow AMM (American Mountain Men) member.

His desires were for an iron mounted simple (plain) gun in .62 caliber with a 38" straight barrel turned 1:66 (Getz) for decent powder charges, long tang (think Bean type), dbl set triggers on a long plate, no butt plate as was the case in some original "poor boy" type rifles.

Let me explain that this was built during a time when interest had begun to swirl as far as gun style.  There were still a lot of traditional PA type long rifles being ordered as there were Hawken guns, but the Tennessee and other southern rifles were being discovered and interest in the "over the mountain" and pre revolutionary guns was gaining popularity.

The pictures I am using were supplied by the owner of the gun.....  same guy I built it for all those years and God only knows how many shots ago. These pics are current condition of gun.

Sooooooooo........  Here goes:

Lock: remember this lock was installed 40 some years ago.

Lock mortise area.  Yea, it shows wear....

Lock side with trigger guard...

Top of breech area.  That inlay is the only "fancy" thing on the gun.  I just had to do it..... LOL

Forward entry pipe.  See below for explanation of what you are seeing.

On side butt stock.

Off side butt etc.

I do not have a good full length pic of this gun.  Wish I did.  It is light in the hand and shoots quite well.  Some might call this a Franken gun because of a couple of things I did to it.  I used that long Bean tang like a Hawken tang and double bolted through the stock to the trigger plate for extra strength like a Hawken. To give it additional extra strength I formed the top through the wrist a bit more full then traditional for this type of rifle.  This gun was going to see a lot of horseback time. The forward entry pipe was copied from an original gun from TN.  That entry area is, as you know, prone to chipping and this solves that problem.  As I said, there is no butt plate but there is a toe plate that I formed to curl over the toe of the rifle.  Since it was a .62 I wanted a stout ram rod and made a tapered on out of dipped and straightened 7/16 hickory.  It gently tappers  down to 3/8  at the forward entry pipe.  It and a good short starter will load a tight patched ball (I made him 3 ram rods, if I remember right).

So, thats my very simple gun......  It has seen 40+ years of service with a bit less then excellent care but that is what it is.  It has accounted for a bunch of deer, a ton of paper and steel, and at least one elk that I know of.  These pics were furnished by the owner.  He is still proud of this rifle as am I to see it has survived this long.

Thanks fo looking.  I really like these "plain" rifles.......

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:17:57 PM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Skychief

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2018, 10:31:07 PM »
I appreciate this thread very much.  I've always been drawn to plainer rifles versus those with a lot of bling.  Maybe because I'm a hunter at heart, I like a gun that looks business like and think they shine as much as fancier guns, in their own way.

Hope to see this thread last and grow.

Thanks, Skychief.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2018, 05:25:30 AM »
Thanks Bill and Bruce for posting, and Skychief – with help we’ll keep it going.  Here’s a simple mountain rifle in plain maple with fire blued barrel and iron mounts, as slim as possible.  Not rubbing the mounts while in the charcoal results in these mixed colors.  Used larger top jaw screw slid to rear to match old locks.  Slim rifle feels good in the hand, and points real easy.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2018, 05:36:04 AM »
Sweet lines; pleasing all around.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2018, 06:46:33 AM »
blienemann:

That is one sweet gun.  How about some specs, caliber, barrel, lock, triggers, etc.  I am particularly interested in your trigger guard.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:15:06 AM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2018, 04:34:20 PM »
I could probably fill a half dozen pages with stuff like this but I'll just do this one. This gun gets mailed to Michigan today. The new owner is excited about taking it pheasant hunting. It has a 49" 20 bore barrel by Hoyt in a nice red maple stock. The lock is a Davis  "Colonial". The trigger guard is cast locally and the original was from a French utility musket. I colored the stock with Kibler's tannic acid followed by ferric nitrate. No buttplate, no sideplate, no trigger plate and abbreviated entry pipe. I have 32 hours in the gun, probably qualifies as a 3 day gun if I were a young man. ;)

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »
Really like that 20-bore shotgun, Mike.  Fit and finish look impeccable.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
Yep that smoothbore was born to hunt. I like it.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2018, 06:40:48 AM »
Mr. Brooks, that is another fine looking long fowler from your bench, thanks.  And it certainly qualifies as a 3 day rifle when we were younger.

For a plain piece to present well, the profile and the few details have to be right.  This looks to me like a warm colonial version of an English fowler with great lines and long, light barrel, attempt at balustraded wrist but mellow, sunburst or fan carving at tang and guard, slight swell at entry pipe, ribbed pipes, slim lock panels and that lock looks great on this piece.  Did you taper the lockplate a bit?  Perfect fit on this fowler, should be fun to shoulder and shoot.

Since folks are enjoying this thread, I will post one more, then drop back and hope others will continue to post either 3 day rifles, or quick work that is plain and sweet.  An original rifle by Ferree in the Edward Hand house museum near Lancaster inspired this piece.  His profile is similar to Wm Antes, though they apparently never worked together, and this profile brings me back to that first schimmel at Dixon's that started me down this path.