Author Topic: Log Cabin Gunmaking Classes  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Log Cabin Gunmaking Classes
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:26:41 AM »
  Some news from Ohio -

Jim Kibler and I will have our next gun building class June 20. We usually have plenty of visitors to the class but have been able to keep things from getting out of hand and we maintain an "open door", anybody who is interested is welcome to visit, and we encourage anybody who has questions about their own project to bring it along for help, if we have a space available you can work on it some too.
  We are hoping to have one of Ohio's best known gun builders spend the day with us either at this month's or July's class, more on that soon.

Following a successful first session, the second session of Dave Kutcher's rifle building class has officially started up. His students will meet June 6th and 27th, July 11th, and Aug 1st. For more information check out the Log Cabin Shop's web site or call them at (330)948-1082. Dave maintains the same open door policy, although I did hear a rumor that he once beat a guy to death with a ram rod for asking the same question twice.

Ok I am only kidding about Dave beating a guy to death with a ram rod, fact is he used a wrench , the guy deserved it and he only had a concussion and some busted teeth, but my point is this; the act of building a long rifle is a simultaneously beautiful and terrifying journey into dangerous and often unknown territory, like stepping outside to get the paper on a delightful Summer morning wearing only your boxer shorts, and just as the front door with the messed up doorknob blows shut and locks, a mile long column of people with special hats on bicycles comes over the hill in front of your house. Maybe it's even worse than that. But if you are a beginning builder and live within reasonable driving distance, come on out to one of the classes some time, we'll loan you a pair of pants.  

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 05:15:11 AM by Pratt »

Offline Ian Pratt

Re: Log Cabin Gunmaking Classes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 05:13:55 AM »
 Thought I would update the last post -  we will be visited at this Saturday's class by none other than Ohio's own Ken Netting. We have asked him to join in with the class for the day, and I  think he is planning to bring along some good stuff to show. Ken has been building fine rifles for many years, here is an opportunity to meet with and learn from one of the top builders in the state.  Again, there is no charge to come and visit this class, come and stay as long as you like, bring your project along if you have questions about it, we'll be happy to help.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:47:38 AM »
I'll be there Ian, a bit later than the others, but I'll be there.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »
Ian...Eric Fleisher and I have been talking about coming out to visit you guys on one of your saturday workshops, but this
weekend won't work out too well.....the annual KRA show in Carlisle.    Then with Dixon's coming up in July, and the CLA
show in August, we may have to wait until the fall to do it.   I'm having problems getting that new Beck pattern run by
Jack's Mtn., hope to have that squared away by then.   I'm also in the process of building an "Isaac Beck"......it's an
Isaac Haines kit stock that I'm turning into a Beck rifle...should have it finished for Dixon's................Don

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 05:08:13 PM »
 Don how about you guys coming out for this:

Log Cabin's Early American Trades Fair
The Apprentice's Journey to Excellence.
October 10 & 11, 2009

Saturday 10:00 - 6:00 Sunday 10:00 - 3:00

at THE LOG CABIN SPORT SHOP 8010 LAFAYETTE ROAD LODI, OHIO

Continuing The Tradition through the study of historical arts. Advanced craftsmen and women sharing their knowledge and skills. A relaxed, friendly venue to display your won work and learn from others. Buy, Sell, Trade & Learn.

Vendors, demonstrators and visitors welcome. We are inviting craftsmen and women in the following fields: gun making, engraving, carving, blacksmithing, knifemaking, powder horn construction, leather working, beading and quill work, natural dyes, spinning, weaving and fabric arts.  

MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW SOON!

Please contact us if you wish to display your crafts or would like to give a presentation.

For more information about this event contact us at 1-800-837-1082 or email us at: logcabin@logcabinshop.com.

Tim C.

PS: Didn't mean to butt in Ian.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:09:23 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »
  Know what you mean Don, a whole lot going on this time of year. Seems like more new shows and events getting started up, which is a great thing, but makes it tough sometimes to pick which ones you want to attend. Good problem to have though!
  Tim thanks for posting that, I posted a copy of the show flyer in the announcements section, anybody interested get a hold of the Log Cabin shop or call/ email me about it