Author Topic: I finished my Lehigh Valley rifle  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
I finished my Lehigh Valley rifle
« on: September 21, 2018, 02:47:13 AM »
This was my second rifle so I know it’s not perfect by a long shot but I learned a lot from it and enjoyed the entire rifle from start to finish.  Thanks everyone for your advice.  Thanks Mike for letting me look at your rifle and telling me about the Lexington show.  The whole rifle was going down a nasty road fast until I handled an original and some professionally built Lehigh rifles.   It’s a 44” B weight 50 caliber with a plane Jane trigger and a Dale Johnson large siler lock. It has several coats of madder lake root ground in true oil rubbed on top of a previous finish.  I spray painted this one flat black  and rubbed everything back a bit. It will be engraved once I’m comfortable engraving.  Thanks everyone again.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:10:26 AM by Afghanvet »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: I finished my Lehigh Valley rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 03:11:22 AM »
 :o :o :o.... Wow,...!!!.... nothing wrong  with that rifle,... I like the Tennessee guns, but I maybe would jump the fence for one like this'un... congrats,... VERY well-done,..... Regards,... CCF,.....

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 03:28:58 AM »
I like it a lot. Don't know much about that style but it sure looks like the fit and finish are well done for only #2. Keep up the good work.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 03:45:52 AM »
That's a sweet lookin' piece!!!  If you can engrave like you carve, you'll have no problem.  Show us some pics once you're done engraving too.  Great Job!

Offline webradbury

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 04:19:02 AM »
I would be proud to call that one my second, third, fourth...! Well done
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline BarryE

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 04:27:44 AM »
Good job for a second rifle!

Offline BarryE

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 04:28:21 AM »
Good job Period!

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 04:35:55 AM »
Ditto all the above,bro. Good therapy,aint it?  Have a goodun, Dave 8) 8)

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 04:40:15 AM »
Very nice work!

Keep it up,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 05:11:02 AM »
Ditto all the above,bro. Good therapy,aint it?  Have a goodun, Dave 8) 8)

You got that right brother!!   I’m on to leather and horns for a while.  I’d like to do a 36 caliber plain Jane Lehigh barn rifle isomeday but not anytime soon. 

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 06:24:59 AM »
Carving, wire work, inlays, when you dive in, you go head first to the deep side. There is nothing to excuse in your results, you should be proud of that rifle.

I have a barrel, lock, trigger guard, buttplate, and stock blank coming tomorrow if Fed-Ex is truthful. I hope to make my second rifle as nice as yours.

DAve

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 06:31:32 AM »
Well done!
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 06:43:19 AM »
Very nice work! Very nice indeed!!

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 07:01:22 AM »
First, from an old guy.... thanks for your service.

Now to the gun... Though I must be honest that I don't care for that style you done beyond good for a #2 gun.  Spend time refining your craft and you will be a noted builder.  For your next project its like preparing the perfect egg.... simple, no flair just geometry and style..... build us a SMR with no carving.... just style....  You can do it.....

Actually love your ability as presented.....

Just an old guy stating fact......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 10:48:39 AM »
You did a very good job on  very ambitious carvings.  You bit off a chunk and spit out a fine looking gun. Congrats!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline yip

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 02:56:51 PM »
Alacran's is right excellent job on your Lehigh rifle.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 03:25:27 PM »
Pretty incredible second gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline KC

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 05:06:42 PM »
Very well done, your carving turned out quite nice. I like how the Madder Lake finish turned out.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline yip

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »
  Afghavet; on your last pic with open nose cap, is it folded down around under the barrel is it correct? it was done with great craftmanship, just wondering

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 09:23:02 PM »
  Afghavet; on your last pic with open nose cap, is it folded down around under the barrel is it correct? it was done with great craftmanship, just wondering

This particular rifles original has a closed nose cap.  I don’t know how it was riveted on because I couldn’t find a picture. I wanted an open nose cap just for the sake of it being a Lehigh rifle and that being a notable characteristic of those. I don’t know that I’ll ever build another and I wanted to hit on the major Lehigh points. I annealed the $#@* out of it, folded it around the wood and used some large copper wire that I pinged the ends to rivit it twice in the ramrod channel. A suggestion to future folks that don’t build much, is to do this last.  I wanted to pull it off there several times. I got better at using my jewelers saw after cutting several stars and think I can make the flame pieces look better. I also changed the thickness a bit on the upper forearm after seeing Mike’s and Allen’s guns. Once it’s on there,  your wood line and thickness against your barrel is complete.  If you change that line,  you are stuck with your nose.  Hope that makes sense.  Anyhow,  it was a lesson for sure. Open nose caps are a little trickier than your closed one in my opinion. Just take it slow.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:25:03 PM by Afghanvet »

Offline yip

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »
 Afghavet; i'm in process of building a Bucks County and from what i gather it has an open nose cap, i like your rifle, it has a lot of what i want on mine. keep building!!!!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 12:55:25 AM »
You did such a great job on yours that I am going to send you mine to finish!  Love the color you achieved - just right.

I may wait to see how your engraving comes along before bringing it to you.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 02:43:30 AM »
You did such a great job on yours that I am going to send you mine to finish!  Love the color you achieved - just right.

I may wait to see how your engraving comes along before bringing it to you.

I’d be happy to work with you on yours.  I’ll walk you through that color too.  It was really simple. I mixed it in one of those marble mortar and pestle things you get at kitchen stores. Just drop three flat needle files worth of kremer dark red madder lake and swirl it around in about a tablespoon of true oil until your arm gets sore and then use your fingers to smear on a thin layer.  Don’t mix too much because each batch you mix is wasted.  Use turpentine to clean your hands.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 02:47:31 AM »
I like it a lot!
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2018, 03:20:37 AM »
I have to agree with Mike, really nice second rifle. Lehigh rifles are hard to get the architecture right and you did a dandy job overall.