Author Topic: Having trouble identifying a rifle  (Read 1206 times)

Kelvinrmsmith

Having trouble identifying a rifle
« on: September 24, 2018, 05:30:21 PM »
I recently inherited a number of flint lock rifles and one I can’t seem to figure out who the manufacture is or even how old it is. There are numerous symbols and markings on the barrel but I cannot find any rifles online with markings like these. Help!

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Having trouble identifying a rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 05:38:33 PM »
Neither of those is a flintlock nor are they rifles. Both are percussion fowling pieces (ie. shotguns). In the overall photo, the one on the right appears to be an inexpensive British or Belgian percussion double. The gun on the left, with the carved stock, appears to be Spanish but without better photographs, it's just about impossible to tell more. I'd guess they both date in the 1850-1870 range.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:39:35 PM by JV Puleo »

Kelvinrmsmith

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 05:44:31 PM »
Thank you!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
Hi,
Those barrel marks are Spanish.  The tombstone-shaped mark will have the maker's name.  The mark below it is the city mark.   The upper mark looks like it may be a cross.  The marks do not match any of my references but those are not comprehensive. I suspect the gun was made during the 1830s-1850 or so but the barrel could be older.  By the way, they are not rifles but smooth bored bird or fowling guns (shotguns).

dave
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:48:52 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."