Author Topic: Double Cheekpiece Rifle photos now included  (Read 6367 times)

George Roberts

Double Cheekpiece Rifle photos now included
« on: August 16, 2014, 06:18:03 AM »
This is a rifle that I bought about 10 years ago at an outdoor antique show.  It has double cheekpieces, and a brass lockplate.  The total length is 48 1/2 inches, and the barrel 33 3/8 inches, but I suspect that the barrel has been shortened.  It is rifled, and a little under .36 cal.  The barrel is just a little over 1 inch at the breech, and just a little under 1 inch at the muzzle.  The engraving on the lock is almost entirely worn away.  The only name visible is on the top of the rear sight, and is "S.A. HOWAR".  I can't see a D, but this most likely is "S.A. HOWARD."
The initials on the patchbox are engraved with the script WHC.  The initials RH are stamped into the front trigger guard extension.
The ramrod thimbles are 3 inches long with 5 1/4 inch spacing between them.
Any thoughts as to the maker? location of origin?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:39:20 PM by George Roberts »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Double Cheekpiece Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:54:15 AM »
Upload them to photobucket then use the direct link posting it here using the little photo icon above the typing window. There is a "sticky" on the site that explains is detail.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

I reduce the size by sending them into an email I never send. My software, iPhoto and Mail resize them as needed or specified and I drag and drop  the photo(s) from the email window to Photobucket.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

George Roberts

Re: Double Cheekpiece Rifle
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »
Hey Dan,
Thanks for the help, but I think you have exceeded my computer competence.  Some of the other forums that I follow have a "Manage Attachment," or an "Upload Files" feature.  When I was looking at this forum earlier, I did see a "Browse" feature somewhere, but I can't find it now.  I may have to wait until one of my kids can help.
George

Offline Don Stith

Re: Double Cheekpiece Rifle link to photos now included
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 01:06:10 AM »
My guess from your first post was OHIO. Don't see anything in the photos to change that opinion. Howard has a listing in Sellers book as being in Michagan . Truth is when you get that late it could be made anywhere from Ohio through Illinois.  The silver work kind of reminds me of Teaff in Ohio.  Maybe some one else can tie it down closer for you

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
I pretty much agree with Don Stith. By the time this rifle was made it could be from almost anywhere, but Ohio area is a good guess. Howard may have only made the sight. The inlays and such were all available commercially. Nice rifle of the "inlay period" regardless and I wonder if there is a makers name under that rear sight.
Rod pipe spacing seems correct so I would not assume it was shortened unless there was good evidence.  But (?)
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
The inlays and such were all available commercially
Western New York is also a possibility.  I have a similar rifle with a lock marked Buffalo.  As for the inlays, mine are real silver.  Were real silver inlays available commercially?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

galamb

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »
Agree with both. My first love is Ohio rifles (no wait, first love is the wife - oh well) and that one screams Ohio.

Given that "a name" is stamped on the rear sight and not the barrel, I wouldn't immediately equate that name to the gun maker. It could be whomever made the sight or the hardware store/supplier that the sight was bought from.

This rifle is absolutely typical of one that would have been built in Ohio in the 1840's-50's and it certainly was not atypical to see a rifle with two cheek pieces.

It was common enough that Pecantonica has an Ohio pre-carved stock for contemporary builders that has a cheek piece on either side...

George Roberts

Re: Double Cheekpiece Rifle photos now included
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the input.  
The under rib is open at the end, and it is flush with the end of the barrel.  Also, there are no decorative features at the muzzle, (stars, circles, etc.) and that led me to believe that it had been shortened.  Perhaps whatever had plugged the end of the rib fell out.  The rifle is very heavy as it is, and it would be even heavier, if longer.
George
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:12:13 PM by George Roberts »

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 04:32:58 AM »
Looks a good bit like the Ohio rifles I viewed this past March in Marrietta,Ohio at the Ohio LR collectors.my vote is Ohio.Great looking gun.Dave F ;)

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 03:28:46 AM »
Nice rifle.  I think it is probably Midwestern, but exactly where would be hard to say for sure. Indiana would be just as likely as Ohio.  I too, wonder whether there might be a name hidden beneath the rear sight.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »
That's a very nice halfstock and I see a lot of shared traits with the Shreckengost family, but not their work.  Again I see the tulip motif repeated here.  I found this information in a book about antiques and the Palatine Germans which talks about the use of Tulips on their furniture and fraktur.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 02:50:04 AM »

Michigan, Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
about Samuel A. Howard

Name:
Samuel A. Howard

Birth Date:
abt 1853

Birth Place:
Wisconsin

Death Date:
21 Dec 1903

Death Place:
St. Louis, Gratiot, Michigan

Death Age:

Gunsmith

Race:
White

Marital Status:
Single

Father Name:
John P. Howard

Mother Name:
Cristina Jewface

FHL Film Number:

George Roberts

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 11:56:10 PM »
Hey Avirc,
Great detective work.  I actually bought the gun in Centreville, Michigan, which is in the southwest part of the state, and not too far from the Indiana border.  When I saw St. Louis, MI, I thought it might be somewhere near the Ohio border.  What a surprise to find that it is near the center of the lower peninsula.  It would be nice to know if he made the whole gun, or just the sight.  Seems as though most of the Michigan made guns I've seen have had the "perch-belly" architecture.
Thanks for the great information.  I'll tuck it into the patchbox.
George