Author Topic: James Bown & Son  (Read 11155 times)

welldigger45

James Bown & Son
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »
Can anybody put a value to this muzzle loader. 32 caliber half stock On top of barrel has a deer head with the words "Kill Buck" Stamped along with the maker James Bown & Son Pittsburgh PA. The weapon is in very good condition. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it.

Doug

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: James Bown & Son
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Without any photograph's it's hard to place a value on it, but I'm
interested in seeing the rifle.  I have an advertisement from our
local paper for Bown.  Your welcome to email me for a copy.  It might
have a date on it.  I'm thinking he worked in Armstrong County for
awhile, but he might have just been advertising there due to Pittsburgh's
proximity.  Never seen one of his rifles.  Hope you can post. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

msmith

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:38:08 PM »
Here is some info I found in Sellers. "American Gunsmiths"  James Bown (1823-   ).Pittsburgh,PA 1848-1887. Operated as Bown & Tetley,Bown & Son ( William H. Bown. 1847)....When they sold out to Brown & Hirth they used the name " Enterprise Gun Works".....Bown & Tetley, Pittsburgh PA 1848-1862, Large Manufacture of ML  Guns, as Enterprise Gun Works..... In the last few years I have seen a few of their guns for sale with the KillBuck on the barrel,so I don't think they are real scarce...It seems to me a plain halfstock in very good cond, usually does not bring more than a grand....Pictures are a must....Bown & Tetley also made Knives, Sabers & Bayonets during the Civil War, their blades seem to go higher when sold than do their guns....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:56:01 PM by msmit »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:39:15 AM »

Bown, Albert (1841-1912). gunsmith.1860, Reserve Township, Allegheny County; 1861-62, Allegheny City, Allegheny County; 1868, Salem, Columbiana County, Ohio; 1869, Titusville, Crawford County; 1872, New Castle, Lawrence County; 1880-82, Titusville; 1894-1912, Pittsburgh. 1880, Albert Bown, gunsmith, 39; Sarah J., wife, 40; Clifford A., 11; Bessie R., 7; Julia Duby, servant, 22; D. J. Littlefield, physician, 43 [Dir.; Hopkins' Atlas of Lawrence County; tax; Census]. Appar­ently, Albert Bown was not related to James and William Bown, for Albert was not listed among James' sons in James' obituary.  While in New Castle, Albert ran the following advertisement,

ALBERT BOWN, dealer in Hardware, Rifles, Guns, Revolvers, Pistols & C. Stencils cut to order. Rifles and general repairing done with dispatch. Rifles made to order. West End of Neshannock Bridge, New Castle.

Bown & Tetley. gun manufactory. 136 Wood St., Pittsburgh. James Bown was born in the England in 1823. He first went Canada with his parents in 1831 and then moved to New York state. Bown came to Pittsburgh at age 21 to work as a cutler with Cart­wright Cutlery. Abram Tetley was also born in the England, in 1822. Bown & Tetley was established in 1848 as a cutlery and gradually grew into the gun business. Bown & Tetley were listed in all the period Pittsburgh directories. The Dir. of Pittsburgh and Allegheny City, 1850, calls the firm instrument maker. The Census of Industry of 1850 called the firm cutlers and showed they employed 7 hands with a $312 monthly payroll and made cutlery in the past 12 months valued at $7500. In the 1860 U.S. Census of Industry the firm was reported as having a $20,000 capital investment and a 14 horsepower steam engine. Over the previous 12 months it had bought $5800 in iron, wood and other raw materials; and had made 1800 rifles valued at $23,000. In May 1857 Bown and Tetley paid $2300 to Harvey Noble of Richland County, Ohio, for a lot in Pittsburgh's Ninth Ward, which property had on it a building 40 by 90 feet, built of brick and containing a gun barrel manu­fac­tory. This was probably the J. and D. Little factory, begun by James and Daniel Little, which was bought out by Harvey Little and renamed Noble and Little, with James Little.  James Bown and John Tetley bought out Abram Tetley on 6 Febru­ary 1862, for $1000; and, in turn, in 1863 John Tetley sold out his interest to Bown for $1500. A period advertisement showed the diversity of products offered by the firm,

ENTERPRISE WORKS, 136 Wood Street, 2 doors from Virgin Alley, Pittsburgh, BOWN & TETLEY practical cutlers, Surgical and Dental Instrument Manu­facturers.  We manufacture and keep constantly on hand a superior assortment of SURGICAL and DENTAL INSTRU­MENTS, an article which we feel assured cannot be surpassed east or west of the Alleghenies and respectfully invite the profession to call and examine our instruments before purchasing elsewhere;  we think it is no trouble to show them.  In addition to the manufacto­ry, we keep a general assortment of hardware and cutlery, Guns, Pistols, Hunting equipage, &c.  We are also manufacturing a new kind of Dental Lathes, suitable for all mechanical work appertaining to the profession.  We are also agents for C.C. Rhinehart's Celebrated Glass Pad Truss, the best article now in use - for sale by the single one or by the dozen.

[It was the] "only one in the West which constructs rifles and guns for the trade exclusively.  It has been in opera­tion in the present large scale about 4 years, and, in that time . . . has attained a reputation throughout the whole western country that is rapidly drawing off trade from eastern houses . . . . Their reputation . . . is conclusive as to their value . . . . This establishment employs 25 hands whose yearly wages amount to $15,600 and turns out now at the rate of 4000 rifles a year, with a steadily increasing demand . . . . This is the first attempt to establish on a large scale the manufacture of this species of arms here or in the West.

[Pittsburgh, Its Facts and Figures, 1857]

Bown, James (1823-1901).  manufacturer.  Propri­etor, Bown & Tetley, 1848-99.

James Bown, one of the best known cutlery men of the state and famous for the manufacture of the Kentucky squirrel rifle, died at 6 p.m. yesterday, at the residence of his son, W. H. Bown, 5510 Baum street, East End [Pitts­burgh].  Mr. Bown was born in England in 1823 and came to America with his parents when a boy of 8 years.  His home was at first in Canada, and later in the state of New York.  At the age of 21 he came to this City and here learned the cutlery trade.  In 1848 he established the firm of Bown & Tetley on Wood street, between 5th and 6th avenues, dealing in hardware and firearms.  Later he established the Enterprise Gun Works and made himself famous throughout the South and West by the large bore rifle produced by his firm.  Still later he started the business of Bown & Son in the Lewis Block.  He was in active touch with this until his retirement three years ago.  Mr. Bown was married in this city in 1846 to Maria Bailey, a daughter of John Bailey.  Six children, 3 sons and 3 daughters, survive.  The sons are William H., James W. and Edwin S. . . .  He was a prominent Mason and had many friends . . . .

[Pittsburgh Commercial, 30 January 1901]

Bown, William H. (1848-1903). gunsmith. Wil­liam was a son of James Bown, associated with Enterprise Gun Works, Pittsburgh, 1875-1903. Some William Bown was listed as a gunsmith in Salem, Columbiana County, Ohio, about 1880 [Hutslar, p. 77].

POT ASH.  Two Thousand Pounds, for family use, just received and for sale by W.H. Brown's New HARD­WARE STORE and GUNSMITHING ESTABLISH­MENT, corner of the Diamond and Market street, Pittsburgh.

[American Manufacturer, 14 August 1841]

Muzzletramp

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:26:13 PM »
Hi, I'm new here and am curious about the Maker "Bown". I have a rifle that my dad said was Bowen out of Pittsburgh. I have been unable to find any information on a "Bowen" but ran across "Bown" here. I have photos if some one can help me identify this rifle as one of his or not.  If this is not the right location to post, let me know. There are no marks on the top of the barrel, just the lock. Caliber looks like it might be @ .40 or .41. I have not slugged it to verify. Thanks in advance.

More photos here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/PokmnjgxQA1DHPPK9