Author Topic: Fowler with patchbox  (Read 1506 times)

Offline sqrldog

Fowler with patchbox
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:52:40 AM »
I am looking for information on the Fowler built gun with a patchbox that was pictured on the Contemporary Blog on Sept 11. Art said I could post the picture (cropped) on the ALR. Any further information or pictures would be greatly appreciated. It was at the CLA in August on the table with the Natty Bumpo rifle. Thanks for any help. Tim

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Fowler with patchbox
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 01:12:17 AM »
Isn't that a John Newcomer piece?  A number of years ago there was a piece displayed in Carlisle that I think was the same gun - is this the gun with the box lid sides that flare outward in a convex manner?  That one was signed John Newcomer, and when that turned up, it was used to subsequently "re-attribute" the so called Bullard rifle to Newcomer as well.  Tough to tell in the photo but I think it's the same piece.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline poppy

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 01:14:50 AM »
I am thinking john newcomer . chris popp

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 03:00:22 AM »
I have pictures of a similar, possibly the same, but in percussion.  It has a cheekpiece, is rifled, and yes, John Newcomer.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 03:02:07 AM by Dobyns »

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 03:59:22 PM »
Thought I'd bump this back to the top for one last try to get more information or pictures on this gun. I would either like to attempt to build or have built a gun in this style.  RCA 74 by Valentine Fondersmith has a patchbox of similar style and design but may be totally unrelated. Thanks for any help.

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »
Good color pictures are in THE LANCASTER LONG RIFLE by Patrick Hornberger and John Kolar.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »
I’d be all over a build like that. Really appeals to me too. I was so ga-ga over the Natty Bumpo rifle that I did not pay this one enough attention.
Andover, Vermont

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 06:59:39 PM »
Dobyns thank you. I have the book and I knew the gun was pictured some where. A really neat gun a little different than most.  Cheekpiece rifled barrel built Fowler style. In walnut to boot. Thanks again Tim