Author Topic: Whale oil question  (Read 3831 times)

Offline mark esterly

Re: Whale oil question
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 02:08:23 AM »
not assuming that at all dave.   just throwing a thought out there for what it's worth which is likely next to nuffin
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 03:05:52 AM »
not assuming that at all dave.   just throwing a thought out there

Mark,
I was doing the same thing knowing full well that others probably would assume it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 07:31:58 AM »
It is my understanding that sperm whale oil, that which comes from the head cavity, was used primarily in the manufacture of various perfumes.

Taylor,

I believe you are referring to ambergris, which I think also comes from the head cavity.

I'm probably repeating (poorly) the same info that was in Mavens link. But I believe ambergris is a product of the digestive tract of the sperm whale. They eat squid and the squid's beak can't be digested. So the digestive tract coats the beaks with a substance to protect the gut until they can be expelled. Whether they are expelled as vomitus or in the feces, I don't recall.

Mike

Offline Dewster

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 09:42:35 PM »
I believe spermiceti oil is from the head cavity

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Interesting comments and reading.

Anyway, barring ATF because it's industrial and loaded with more ingredients than a Twinkie, what's the best substitute?  Everybody thinks Jojoba?

Offline Goo

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2018, 03:08:40 PM »
It sounds to me like what's needed is a compound that can withstand high temperatures not bind with carbon or sulpher and be slippery enough to efficiently get the projectile out the muzzle.   Does anyone think silicon spray might be a possible?       My other thought is dry lube used on jewelry industry cutting burrs https://www.riogrande.com/Product/stick-burlife-lubricant/117003
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

ltdann

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 04:34:28 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Interesting comments and reading.

Anyway, barring ATF because it's industrial and loaded with more ingredients than a Twinkie, what's the best substitute?  Everybody thinks Jojoba?

Not that I'm an expert, but I like Jojoba.  It is pretty slippery and all my patches could be used again. no burning or smoldering.  I cut patches to around 1.5x1.5 and stack them in an old plastic bullet box.  Spray a bit on top and let it sit over night.  Capillary effect eventually saturates all the patches and if not, add some more.  Should be uniformly damp, but not dripping.  I've used the same box for 2 months now and it doesn't seem to be drying out.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 01:55:53 AM »
Interesting discussion. I can only add that I bought some of that Dixie whale oil substitute back in the late ‘70’s when I was a tenderfoot muzzleloader and it smelled just like fish oil. Bad rotting fish oil.  Didn’t like the strong fishy bilge water smell and threw it out. I can’t say what they are offering for sale as a substitute now.

I haven’t found anything more slicker than bear oil made from real bears and it doesn’t smell bad which is a bonus.

Other’s mileage may vary.

Regards.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 11:14:36 PM »
To expand on TOF's accuracy.

The oil from the head cavity of the sperm whale is technically an "oily wax" in the chemistry books.  Exceptionally unique.  The only other "source" being the jojoba bush fruit.  That being jojoba oil.

With the sperm whales.  The oil rendered from the blubber was used for lighting.  The head cavity oil was the lubricant.  The head cavity oil is somewhat volatile meaning that it will over time evaporate.  It was considered to be the only thing to use in clocks.  Used in the grandfather clocks with the long chains and weights.

In addition to the early automatic transmission fluids it was used as one of the plasticizing agents in polyvinyl chloride compounds to impart low temperature flexibility.

The so-called waxy portion of the head cavity oil is now seen as cetyl alcohol in candle making.  A man made version of the cetyl alcohol wax.  If you cooled the head cavity oil it would drop out what looked like a wax.  At one time they would show the temperature on the package which would indicate the quality of the oil.  We used the cetyl alcohol wax material as a suspending agent in PVC flooring resins.  You will also see it in Chap Stick as it acts as an emulsifier between the water and the petrolatum wax used in Chap Stick.  Of course today all of the cetyl alcohol is man made.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 11:25:56 PM »
Forgot to mention.
The head cavity oil was almost odorless while the blubber oil would have a rancid odor by the time it went onto the market.  Any mixing of the two would give the head cavity oil the rancid odor.  Good difference in price between the two oils.