Author Topic: Bonewitz Rifle info  (Read 5934 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Bonewitz Rifle info
« on: June 06, 2009, 01:42:09 AM »
I just received a new book, put out by the KRA.  The Kentucky Rifle a True American Heritage in Picture.

In that book, there are two rifles.  (Unsigned but attributed to) John Bonewitz.

They are AMAZING.  I would love to build one.  Does any one know where I might get some additional photos??? Dimensions, etc.??

I am smitten!!!
In His grip,

Dane

George F.

Re: Bonewitz Rifle info
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:25:24 AM »
I just looked at that book before I commented. Eric Von  did a seminar last year at Dixons about scaling rifle dimensions from a photo. You can enlarge the photo  until you get the right trigger pull, and scale off that. If the photo needs to enlarged 210% to get the trigger pull correct, then enlarge other areas 210%. I  have put aside a Eister/Atland rifle from this book and I had to enlarge it 210% to get it right. This would be a start. I have in the past used the old "ratio and proportion" formula from the 8th grade to get measurements using drafting calipers ( I didn't  own a digital  caliper). The photos of Bonewitz's guns are very clear. I recomend enlarging them full size , and using tracing paper and carbon paper to transfer the carving details to your stock. Glue the full size patchbox to your brass and cut it out. I guess this is basic stuff for builders.  ...Geo.

omark

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:53:24 AM »
i just got the same book from track and you're right. those are beautiful rifles.   mark

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 02:54:37 AM »
George,

I understand the theory behind that, but some things just won't work out just right without some known dimensions to go from, ie. lock plate, buttplate, triggerguard, barrel length, width at breech, etc.

Gives some place to start to get the enlargement ratio.

Also, some areas are not shown, like from above looking down, for wrist dimensions, breech width, etc.

Just trying to get as much info as possible before I start.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:10:17 AM »
OK,

I'm an idiot.  Taylor has posted some GREAT photos of the very rifle that I'm interested in.

Now, if I could just implore him to get me some dimensions.!!!

What do you say Taylor???
In His grip,

Dane

George F.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 03:50:47 AM »
I understand Dane. I went with a 13-1/2" triggerpull. and the height of the buttplate at 4-7/8".  Since I'm not really an exact copy builder, these were close enough for me. For others, I guess it might not serve them.   ...Geo.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 05:15:21 AM »
George,

Do you have photos of yours??

I'd really like to see them.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 05:16:04 PM »
Dane....I would try to get in touch with Mark Wheland.....he did a bench copy of Henry Bisop's Bonewitz, and should have
a lot of data about the gun.............Don

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 05:30:33 PM »
Don,

Thanks I'll try that.  I just got Henry Bishops e-mail through the KRA, and will make contact with him as well.  If he is gracious enough to put up with me, that should be a source of the best information.

I wonder if Henry knows just how bad I'm coveting that gun right now???
In His grip,

Dane

George F.

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 10:03:59 PM »
Dane, I'm alittle confused. Do I have pictures of what? The Bonewitz rifle? I have the same book, is this what you mean? Let me know if I can help in some way...Geo.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 01:07:28 AM »
George F,

I was wondering about the Bonewitz that you built.
In His grip,

Dane

George F.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 01:22:38 AM »
Oh, I see , my friends call me the "great communicator". My mistake. I left out the part about it being a Eister/Atland rifle. I'm sorry. My finger can't keep up with my brain. I have alot to do on it.  It'll be like that until the fall. I haven't made the patchbox yet. I trimmed the lock panel too much, and had to glue a piece on and re-inlet the lock ( which isn't done yet). I have the butt plate, toe plate, thimbles, muzzlecap, trigger and trigger guard on. The forestock moulding is done, and  the butt  moulding is started.  I promised myself I'd repair my boat this summer.  I hope this clears up my omission.  Sorry,  ...Geo.

Offline M. Wheland

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 02:31:36 AM »
Dane,    PM sent

Mark

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 03:07:10 AM »
smallpatch,

A few years ago I copied an antique rifle for a customer.  It was an exact duplicate.  No one liked it because it didn't fit anyone.  I made a second one but added 5/8 of an inch to the trigger pull,  and 1/2 inch more drop at the comb.  Everyone liked it.  The people were a lot smaller back then.  Take all this into account when designing your rifle.