Author Topic: Pounding out coin silver  (Read 4606 times)

Offline Tom Currie

Pounding out coin silver
« on: June 05, 2009, 09:18:18 PM »
I've pounded out coin silver before by heating and quenching in water to anneal and then whack with the biggest hammer I've got, then repeat the process. It's a lot of work. Any idea's on a different or better process ?

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Pounding out coin silver
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:32:11 PM »
Yeah, buy some sheet coin silver  ;D no pounding required!
John
John Robbins

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
John , That's way to obvious. I prefer the cheap hard labor method. ;D

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:26:26 PM »
I don't know about better. But as kids, we used to put coins on rails and let a train run over them. It flattened then and even curved them somewhat. You'll lose some coins this way.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:46:40 PM »
Coin silver like copper, you don't have to quench the silver, when annealing.  What I do is heat it to cherry, and then use a homemade flatter, which are two pieces of half inch steel, that I preheat so as not to heat sink the silver or brass.  I also use a couple of pieces of iron wire of the thickness I want as spacers on either side of the metal.  Mapp is way better than propane for this.  It seems like it's twice the heat, even though I know it's not.  Then I beat the heck out of it.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 01:11:47 AM »
I don't know about better. But as kids, we used to put coins on rails and let a train run over them. It flattened then and even curved them somewhat. You'll lose some coins this way.
But beware the railroad dicks!

When we were kids and had any coins we made a beeline to the store to buy wings cigs (the long ones) @ 12 cents a pack!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 01:26:07 AM »
I don't anneal, just pound them out.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 04:47:07 AM »
Buy a rolling mill on e-bay.  I got a really nice heavy duty unit for $40 once.  A scrap yard was using it to peel the insulation off copper wire.  Took a day to clean it up and get it back into shape for rolling metal sheet.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 05:08:34 AM »
anneal on a charcoal block. The charcoal reflects the heat and absorbs a bit of the oxygen, helps keep the silver from oxydizing. Silver does not need a water quench, but it cools quicker. The silver will need to be annealed every so often to keep it from cracking. Polished anvil and polished hammer makes for a shiny piece of silver that needs little clean up.

Acer

a rolling mill is best, but not many folks will spring for one for the occasional front sight. If you get into melting down silver,then, yes, a mill would be handy for rolling out the ingots into sheet.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »
a rolling mill is best, but not many folks will spring for one for the occasional front sight.
After wedding rings, promise rings for my daughters, a couple of sets of ear rings, a gold pendant and chain and several repairs on various other pieces of jewelry I have come to know (support)  my jeweler very well which has entitled me to a few (freebie) rolling mill jobs.  My jeweler, as with most custom jewelers is an artist, and being a custom gunmaker qualifies me as an artist so forming this artist to artist relationship has entitled me to some help and tutoring on working with silver.  I am sure it has nothing to do with the large amounts of cash I handed over to him over the years to keep my bride and daughters happy.
DMR