Author Topic: Gunstockers Bench  (Read 15576 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Gunstockers Bench
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/american-longrifles-Donations.htm

At the top of your screen there is an area called What We Are About
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=541.0 inside that area are where our Mission Statement Statement ,  info on donations and a list of our rules.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BJH

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 08:12:50 PM »
Special thanks to the 40 plus members who either bought plans and or made donations to support the forum. The last mailing went out today. If there are any problems or questions PM me. Thank You again BJH
BJH

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 01:59:43 AM »
Jim,
At the very top of the home page of the forum. You should see this:
ALR Member Information

Under it Cick on "ALR Mission, Rules/Policies and Donations"
and you should see :

ALR Mission Statement   
Donations to ALR   
ALR Rules/Policies

Clicking on Donations to ALR should allow you to contribute donations via Pay Pal or credit or debit card. For those that prefer to send direct paymane my address is shown.

Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 03:37:21 AM »
Dennis and BJH,

Are these plans still available?

If so, I would like to buy a copy.

Offline The Stumbler

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »
Dennis and BJH,

Are these plans still available?

If so, I would like to buy a copy.

I am interested as well.

Offline rtadams

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 03:57:44 AM »
10-21-18

BJH,

When trying to access the provided link for the "Plans" --- ( a error occurs). Am I the only one that can not access the plan information?

Best Regards,

Robert

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 02:35:43 PM »
10-21-18

BJH,

When trying to access the provided link for the "Plans" --- ( a error occurs). Am I the only one that can not access the plan information?

Best Regards,

Robert

Robert
That was just a link to the For Sale forum where the plans were ring sold to raise money for ALR. The sale ended over 6 months ago and the For sale ad was removed. Contact BJH to purchase copies of his plans.
Dennis

galudwig

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 10:12:57 PM »
I took BJH's concept and used the dimensions from Ian Pratt's stocking bench. Basically if the two benches sired an offspring, this would be the result.

I did not have access to solid hardwood lumber like Ian has in his bench, so I went with BJH's basic concept of laminating together commonly available dimension lumber to get the size I needed. I used high grade 2x8'' yellow pine boards instead of 2x6"s. The main beam, legs, and feet were glued and screwed together (and clamped until the glue dried). I made my main beam 5' long instead of 4'. I am too used to my real vises, so I incorporated them into my bench. For most work, I use the pattern makers vice.  I can swap it out for one of a couple of rotating Versa (type) vises as needed.  My front support is a copy of Ian's support; a 3/4" steel bar bent into the shape of an "L".  I can insert it into one of several holes drilled into the beam to shorten or lengthen the distance between the vise and support. It's simple but works for just about anything, including heavy rasping, filing and wood removal work.  I do have a more involved front support that I can swap the bent rod out for (its sitting on the base of the drill press in the background), but I rarely use it.

Not sure what the completed bench weighs. Technically, it is portable. However, it takes two people to get it in and out of the bed of the truck. I do know that once on the ground, I virtually does not move around or vibrate as you work and that is what I really love about it.  That and you can get up close and personal with all parts of the gun from both sides as you are building. It did not cost that much to put together either. I spent just under $100 on lumber, screws, glue, bolts, stain and finish.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:14:22 PM by galudwig »

Offline BJH

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 10:34:15 PM »
That’s a beast of a bench. Mine has always be stable enough. I imagine yours must be a rock. Any else have pictures of their benches and design changes? BJH
BJH

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 11:35:16 PM »
galudwig,
As they would say down under, "Now that's a bench".
David

Offline rtadams

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 04:00:00 AM »
10-22-18

BJH,

Would you post the information and cost for the plans for the "Gunstockers Bench" and where to purchase etc.

Best Regards,

Robert T Adams