Author Topic: Ferguson Bayonet  (Read 895 times)

Offline Water Sheltie

• Starting Member
Ferguson Bayonet
« on: January 24, 2019, 08:23:23 AM »
Finally got around to working on the Ferguson Rifle Bayonet, from the sounds of it most folks needed to remove material. I have a loose fit that's a little sloppy, was thinking of brazing a bead around each end of the tube, or plan cheat and use JB weld. Anyone else run across this issue? 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Ferguson Bayonet
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 03:15:51 PM »
Hi,
Is it sitting back on the barrel far enough?  The muzzle can protrude from the end of the bayonet, it does not have to be flush.  Mine needed metal removed and then fit very snugly.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Water Sheltie

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 09:58:01 PM »
Interesting, even if I deepen the groove to were the bayonet would rest on the muzzle cap it will still have a little slop in it. The ram rod does rest against it, and keep it from rattling, but it's still lose on the barrel.

Tom

Offline wormey

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 11:04:58 PM »
I had to remove a little metal from mine and it fights tight.  Wormey

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 12:04:28 AM »
Hi Water,
You might try a bead but can you weld?  If I was fixing it, I would cut the socket down the middle on one side and then pinch the seam together in a vice.  Just the metal removed in the cut may be enough. Pinch it together in a vise and see if it fits the barrel. If still loose, file metal off along the seam and try again.  Then using a triangular file, file along the top edges of the seam so when pinched together, there is a shallow "V" trough along the seam.  Then fill that trough with weld, which will act as a fillet.  Finally, grind off the excess metal.  That is how I fit the socket on the bayonet shown below.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Water Sheltie

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 04:23:26 AM »
Like that, would have to do a bit of practice welding first, Thanks for the info.

Tom