Author Topic: Postal Pistol match for October  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Postal Pistol match for October
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 05:44:31 AM »
I think I have some balls for my .45 barrel, Taylor - wanna try again?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Maven

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »
Impressive target, Taylor!  (Good looking pistol too!) :)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 04:15:03 PM »
That's a nice target, Taylor!

What's the overall spread, C-C?  (I don't have this target)
I have an old pistol I was hoping to try, but we are now finally into Harvest!....after 6 weeks of miserable and cold and freezing weather.
Shorts weather again! 

Question;
Many old British traveling pistols were used for target practice,  (as in, get home, fire off the pistol at a mark, and re-load for the next outing)
Why do they shoot so High usually?   Mine shoots about 2 feet high at 25 yards. Consistent but High.
Yes, I know the "belt buckle" was the aim, but even at that, 2 feet is  pretty high, and yes, 25 yards would not be seen as a close threat, and most shots on an aggressor would be close (say 10 yards ) to just a bit further than arms reach.

Any ideas Taylor?

Offline alacran

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »
Went to the range yesterday. I thought I had two targets, but i only had one. So I posted it.  My pistol is set up to shoot the standard 25yd pistol target. That is 6 o'clock hold shot with one hand. I burned the first shot trying to figure where to hold. The only pistol that I shoot with two hands is an unmentionable. This is the third time I have shot this pistol.

delete a tumblr account
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Maven

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2018, 07:05:14 PM »
I hate when that happens, alacran!  OTOH, it's a VG target considering you've only fired that pistol 3 times.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 07:15:02 PM »
I agree that it is difficult to produce a target with five shots scoring well...always seems we have to throw one in the toilet.  That's a nice looking pistol Alacran.
Richard:  I have a theory about why pistols need such a high front sight to shoot centre.  The muzzle velocity of my .60 cal J & S Hawken pistol is just over 500 fps with the 25 gr. charge of 3Fg.  It may be that the recoil of the pistol raises the point of impact as the ball lalligags along its way out of the muzzle. In other words, barrel time causes the ball to strike high.  A high front sight starts the muzzle pointing low enough.  Does that make any sense?

Daryl, I'd like to have another go at this with my Hawken pistol.  We don't shoot these things enough to get good at it, so this is a great opportunity.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 07:23:12 PM »
I have a theory about why pistols need such a high front sight to shoot centre.  The muzzle velocity of my .60 cal J & S Hawken pistol is just over 500 fps with the 25 gr. charge of 3Fg.  It may be that the recoil of the pistol raises the point of impact as the ball lalligags along its way out of the muzzle. In other words, barrel time causes the ball to strike high.  A high front sight starts the muzzle pointing low enough. Does that make any sense?

Taylor, that is exactly why the front sight has to be higher than the rear sight - not only with muzzleloading pistols & revolvers, but with modern ones as well.

Daryl

• Member 3
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 02:12:42 AM »
Daryl and I went out to our club range again today.  This time I shot my J & S Hawken copy from 1979.  It has a Richard Hoch .60 cal barrel with pistol twist, wide grooves narrow lands.  The pistol has been good to both of us in the past posting some excellent winning scores.  After shooting some good targets with his own pistol, I loaned him mine, and he shot the target posted here.  Weather is crystal clear without a cloud, and 9 C.  We had the range to ourselves.

This last picture is of the primitive sights.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 03:49:31 AM »
Can you use a colt 1860 in these pistol postal shoots?  That’s the only BP pistol I have.

Offline alacran

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »
Taylor & Darryl that is some good shooting!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 03:08:47 PM »
Nevermind after seeing that target!!  🤣

Offline Maven

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
Wow, Daryl!!!
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Maven

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 03:19:22 PM »
"Can you use a colt 1860 in these pistol postal shoots?  That’s the only BP pistol I have."

afghanvet, Yes you can, but you can't post a pic of the gun.  (I was in the same boat as you, btw.)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »
Taylor, Beautiful pistol! And a shooter too boot!

How is the rear sight mounted ? Dove tail?
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 04:15:17 PM »
Very nice results, bith Taylor and Daryl!!

Re shooting high;
Yes, a taller fore-sight would help, but am still wondering why they did not fit these usually when they were shooting target with them.
Also, I do understand that sights may have become worn down a little over the last couple of hundred years....   

Offline alacran

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2018, 05:01:29 PM »
Taylor was that black circle on bottom right used as a spotter?  I would have used a spotter if i knew where to put it.

• Member 3
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2018, 07:02:34 PM »
The black spot to which you are referring is not a spotter.  It is a pre-cut patch and a .595" ball.  The rear sight on this pistol is cast into the standing breech tang.  The front sight is a german silver casting dovetailed into the barrel.  With this load and range, I had to use a six o'clock hold in the eight ring to hit the bull.  Daryl found that he could use the same hold kissing the bull.  We see the sights differently.  Speaking of seeing the sights, I could never have achieved this kind of accuracy prior to my right eye lens replacement in May.  It's hard to put into words how significant the improved vision has been to me.  In truth, I have NEVER had better vision than I enjoy currently.  Now if I could get my rifles to shoot this well!!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2018, 07:17:31 PM »
Don't let him kid you - he won ALL the rifle events he entered at Hefley Rendezvous this year.
 I was on a bucket list cross country trip and missed the "pleasure" of watching him take, what was it? 19 1sts? 
Told ja, going to be difficult to beat him now that he can see.
My 1st three shots with his pistol were good, but landed left but typical touching holes for this handgun the last time I shot it - about 1986.
We used to do exactly what Taylor has just done, but without the excessive tearing of the paper, with that handgun. It is a
phenomenal gun to shoot- extremely accurate and easy to shoot well - with a bit of practice.
More than a couple guys have tried to buy that pistol from Taylor.  He would be a VERY foolish move to sell it.
I need more practice - obviously. With my own pistol, I shot a couple 41's.
The single set trigger on his is very nice.
Daryl

• Member 3
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2018, 11:26:16 PM »
Shall we do another rifle match for November?
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline alacran

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 01:53:40 PM »
I think 50 yards and a different target is in order.