Author Topic: Green River Rifle Works Barrel  (Read 11864 times)

Offline Bart

Green River Rifle Works Barrel
« on: July 27, 2008, 04:48:40 AM »
Does anyone have a Green River Rifle Barrel for sale or know where I can get my paws on one?  I would like to have one approximately 42 inches in length and in .45 cal or .54 cal in a round ball twist without a taper, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Green River Rifle Works Barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 07:28:52 AM »
Unlikely, since they've gone beaver many years ago.  But there are lots of great barrels out there to take their place.  Take your pick!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »
In straight barrels, I have found Green Mountain barrels to perform well.
Gene

northmn

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »
In ML barrels I have had Green River perform well, Montana, Douglas, Green Mountain and Numrich.  While the Numrich which is now defunct was a little fussier due to shallower rifling they all performed.  Throw them all in a bin and pick one out blindfolded and you will get the same performance.   Some of the better more expensive ones had bore that did not need lapping, but we used to say the difference between an expensive barrel and a cheaper one was about 100 -200 shots.   One of the most neglected aspercts of precision in a rifle is that of the lock trigger ignition system.  While some do not like drums, for instance, they gave better ignition and were less fussy than many of the patent breeches.

DP

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »
I think I've got an old unmakrked DGW house brand barrel.  If I stamped GRRW on the bottom flat, would you know the difference?  Most guys would build a gun using it, and then proclaim it to be a tack driver.  So is a hammer, but they're harder to aim.  When it comes to commercially made roundball barrels, they all work and any perceived difference is purely subjective.  With an old name barrel, all you get is a nostalgic conversation piece and some bragging rights.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:17:16 PM »
I think I've got an old unmakrked DGW house brand barrel.  If I stamped GRRW on the bottom flat, would you know the difference?  Most guys would build a gun using it, and then proclaim it to be a tack driver.  So is a hammer, but they're harder to aim.  When it comes to commercially made roundball barrels, they all work and any perceived difference is purely subjective.  With an old name barrel, all you get is a nostalgic conversation piece and some bragging rights.

Maybe so, but my old Green River barrel is still the most accurate barrel I have ever used [with a Numerich a close second]. I own barrels by Getz, Rice, Longhammock, Colerain, etc.  When I want to win a match I get my old GRRW barrelled .45 longrifle!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 06:53:03 PM »

Maybe so, but my old Green River barrel is still the most accurate barrel I have ever used [with a Numerich a close second]. I own barrels by Getz, Rice, Longhammock, Colerain, etc.  When I want to win a match I get my old GRRW barrelled .45 longrifle!

If you choose 10 barrels of any make and test them all extensively you will fine one that is likely better than the others. Brand name is irrelevant. Most will be pretty darned good, a few may be exceptional and some might be worse. You could easily find a GRRW barrel thinking it a real prize and on testing find its only so-so. I had a barrel from a custom maker that would not shoot into 6" at 100, and was very tight for about 8" at the breech, loose in the middle and slightly choked at the muzzle.
I like GM land groove ratios. I built a perc rifle with both lollipop tang/globe front and barrel sights and it was bought by a VERY finicky rifleman. He says its very unpopular with the other shooters in his club. Its a 1" X 45 cal x 40 (42?) GM.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 05:45:36 PM »
We're all suckers for brand names and customers are even more so.  They want a XXXX barrel (note there have been at least 6 barrel makers with 4 letters in their last name; Hoyt, Getz, GRRW, Paris, Rice, Rayl) and a XXXXXXXX lock, period.

I can't compare short barrel accuracy to long barrel accuracy because I just can't seem to shoot a 32 or 36" barrel nearly as well as a longer one.  On the other hand, maybe some of my shorter barrels were lemons.  In long barrels, I've never had one that would not shoot well, regardless of brand.  For me, shooting really well is under 3" from bench at 100 yards with open sights.  I think it is the distance between sights that enables me to shoot a long barrel better.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:09 PM »
They want a XXXX barrel (note there have been at least 6 barrel makers with 4 letters in their last name; Hoyt, Getz, GRRW, Paris, Rice, Rayl)

Darn now that something! Coincidence or something more?????? :o
it's kind of spooky
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
I figure that's so you can cuss a 4 letter word when you miss the black in the bulleseye!
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:15 PM »
there have been at least 6 barrel makers with 4 letters in their last name; Hoyt, Getz, GRRW, Paris, Rice, Rayl
Who's the other one?  Paris has five letters.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 09:04:38 PM »
It's pronounced Paree - the "s" is silent - in French anyway.  that gives it 4 letters, and its close enough anyway. PARI!!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »
Nice save, Taylor!
Andover, Vermont