Author Topic: Butchers Wax  (Read 1819 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Butchers Wax
« on: October 24, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »
A couple of gunmakers have told me that they use butchers wax on their guns.  K....how?

Just rub the whole gun down after shooting?  After finishing a new gun? instead of BLO or Tru Oil?
Anybody think of questions like this during the ride home instead of on the site?

Thanks

Capgun

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Butchers Wax
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »
I don't know what 'butcher's was' is.  But I've finished a couple of stocks using beeswax.  I heated the wood until the wax melted as I rubbed it onto the wood, then continued to heat the wood and wax together and watched it soak into the wood.When I was satisfied that enough of the wax had soaked into the stock, I moved over and did another spot, blending as I went.  By the time I was done, the whole stock needed only a little heat to help with burnishing with a towel.  Makes a nice finish - done in an hour, and as waterproof as you can get, m'thinks.  You can add to it at anytime, even with the hardware in place.

What is 'butcher's wax'?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 07:55:34 PM »
Butcher's wax was created by Charles Butcher as a furniture wax.  It is hard wax that is used to protect wood finishes.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 08:47:06 PM »
Here is some more info on the stuff <http://cameo.mfa.org/wiki/Butcher%27s_wax> & <http://www.conservationsupportsystems.com/product/show/butchers-white-diamond-wax/waxes-wax-formulated>
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Frank

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 09:20:15 PM »
Bri-wax is good. Also try some Dragon Wax from Clay Smith.

https://www.claysmithguns.com/finishing_supplies.htm
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:08:59 AM by Frank »

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 02:23:51 AM »
What dog catcher said. Butcher’s wax is a brand name for a paste wax. I remember my grandma used it to polish her hardwood floors. I would help by buffing the floors out, first with horse hair brushes and then lambs wool with an old electric buffer of 1950 ‘s vintage (that Grandpa bought her new). We could skate clear across the floors in our socks. As I recall, it leaves a “neutral “ shine... in other words the the shine depends a lot on the original finish, semi gloss or gloss. It will give a matte finish a bit more gloss.  Of course one man’s gloss is another man’s eye poison. Grandma definitely preferred it over Johnson’s pastewax and she was a very particular Scotswoman with high standards

As far as using it on guns, it would be used after stock is finished and shellac cured (just like a hardwood floor). Apply the wax on a clean gun, stock and furniture if you like. It will protect metal as well as wood. I use it on my table saw, etc.

Apologies for the wordy ramble but when I read “Butcher’s Wax” it made me think of Gram.  She was a kind good soul.

Best regards,
Johnny