Author Topic: Touch hole liner question  (Read 2250 times)

KILTED COWBOY

Touch hole liner question
« on: October 26, 2018, 04:10:19 PM »
Looking at the Kibler colonial rifle kit. Has option for stainless steel or carbon steel touch hole liner.
Pros and cons, how do you choose?

Offline flehto

Re: Touch hole liner question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
If that "white"  {SS} circle around the TH  offends one's sensibilities,  then get the plain steel liner  which can be finished like the bbl. Seeing the SS liner will outlast the plain steel liner, I'd opt for the SS. ...either choice is OK.....Fred

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Flehto.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »
I too have the SS liner.  With the frizzen closed you couldn't tell the difference.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 10:27:29 PM »
All mine are ss and I wouldn't use anything else.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

J.E. Moore

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 10:28:51 PM »
I used a SS liner on my barrel and when I heat blued the barrel it turn a dull color and is not as obvious as it was before.

bnail

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 10:40:14 PM »
I think I already know the answer to this but I have to ask. What is the major drawback for a carbon steel liner? will its longevity be that much shorter than the barrel?  my biggest concern would be unreachable fouling collecting in the cone and eroding the liner disproportionately to the barrel. but am I missing anything else?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:01:47 PM by bnail »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 10:52:26 PM »
It depends how you clean your rifle.  If you push patches down to remove the fowling, you will not get guk out of the threads or in the corners of the breech plug/barrel transition.  If you flush in a bucket of warm water, hydraulicking the water in and out, everything gets flushed perfectly clean.  I use stainless liners without reservation.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 11:40:23 PM »
Regarding the difference in longevity, I believe there is a thread about that.  It is not insignificant:. Something like 3000 shots for stainless and 300 for carbon.  Maybe Jim Chambers will see this thread and state the facts!   

Unless you are a high-art builder and/or low volume shooter, stainless is a better choice usually.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:00:39 AM »
I'm in the camp of being offended by the stainless steel blob on the side of a barrel. Just don't like the way it looks, particularly if the gun is "aged." Just looks out of place. But, to each his own - that's why this is a great country.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 01:53:25 AM »
I'd don't have research to back it up, but I'd speculate that both the 3000 and 300 estimates are extremely low.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline alex e.

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 02:50:52 AM »
Some might not know this. Chambers does make a carbon steel White Lightning vent. When properly installed it's invisible.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline bgf

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 03:24:10 AM »
I'd don't have research to back it up, but I'd speculate that both the 3000 and 300 estimates are extremely low.

Jeff

I did try to make it clear that these were off the top of my head :), but I don't think either is off that much.  Unfortunately I can't find the thread or anything else; new search doesn't work like old one...  Of course, it also makes a difference what you're doing.  A chunk gun or even a top notch offhand shooter will be pickier about touch hole wear than most "normal" people :).

Here, Jim does not give numbers, but says basically the same thing I did above about applications:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18940.msg179063#msg179063

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 04:27:33 AM »
It really depends on what you intend for the rifle.  So far, I have always used White Lightning vents made by Jim Chambers.  I could make my own easily, but at $5-6 it really isn't worth my time.  There are other options out there too... Beryllium coming to mind first.  I think Beryllium is a popular choice in Europe these days.  This somewhat surprises me, since Beryllium is quite poisonous in dust form.  I know this because my father installed one of the first MRI's in my state, and he was issued beryllium wrenches because they are non-magnetic.  I used to help him a lot, so used these wrenches myself.  Beryllium was used because of it's toughness, and resistance to wear, which is exactly what you want in a touch-hole liner. 

I don't have a personal muzzleloader.  I have an SKS, but not a personal muzzleloading rifle (One of these days, I hope to build one for myself.).  But the ones I build for sale are SS linered.  I believe it will give my customers the best, longest service.  I used to hunt with a caplock that I borrowed on an almost daily basis, and I know that a rifle I make may also receive that kind of service.  I want to make things that last as long as possible.

Whatever liner you choose, please do the gunsmith a favor and use anti-seize compound on the threads.  Same goes for the breech plug as well.  This will keep things from rusting into a solid chunk of metal.

M. E. Pering

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 05:25:44 AM »
Some might not know this. Chambers does make a carbon steel White Lightning vent. When properly installed it's invisible.

Exactly.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 05:47:27 AM by Dennis Glazener »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 05:47:40 AM »
Exactly.

Just make sure its not 12L14 . When I asked Jim about this several years ago he told me yes he had one that was not stainless but it would burn out in several hundred shots (forget number he used), it was my understanding that it was made out of 12L14 barrel steel.
Dennis
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 05:50:25 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »
Depending on what you're building, a SS can look fine, as certain arms had platinum liners, and very close to S-S in colour.
I always use SS anyway, but make mine out of 3/8" rod, so a regular liner will pretty near fit inside.
Never made a gun with a barrel under 1  1/16" breech, so a liner that size works OK.

Best,
Richard.