Author Topic: Success  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Success
« on: October 29, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »
It's always nice to see success stories of those individuals who complete a rifle or gun. Such is the case with Larry Miller. Larry took our class at the Log Cabin last year. He started with a blank stock, with only the barrel being inlet. This stock/barrel combo was from an estate of a builder who had six, maybe seven projects started, but left in a variety of stages of completion. Larry, as he explained to me, had some previous experience, but none like stocking up from a blank. All the parts were from an old original, with the exception of the barrel. I poured the nosecap in class to give the students a 'how to' when wanting to do a poured cap. Tom, from the Log Cabin, tweaked the lock so it could be fired with set triggers. There was no fly in the lock, as was common with older locks.

He completed the rifle, has shot it, got in touch with me and was asked to stop on by for a 'look-see' for the other students in class. We gave Larry a lesson on a basic fundamental: inletting. After some practice, he inlet the lock, triggers and everything else. He made and inlet the arowhead. All in all, he did a very good job and is looking forward to a repeat performance.

Dave Kutcher looking over the completed rifle

That's Don, behind him is Andrew, Jessica, Dave and Larry....the gun holds well

Don, Andrew and Jessica

Willbarq

Re: Success
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 07:14:21 AM »
I like it! looks good.

Offline Tim

• Just an ordinary Guy from Alabama.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 11:44:35 PM »
Awesome work Larry. You should be proud.
Tim

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 11:53:14 PM »
Gaeckle! Thank you for the happy story! So nice to see.

T
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

ltdann

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »
Love that rear sight!

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »
Love that rear sight!

I was thinking the same thing.  BTW - the gun looks great too.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline FDR

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 08:29:23 PM »
Tell us a little about the rear sight!  Nice gun.

Fred

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 09:05:01 PM »
Very nice indeed. :D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 09:41:01 PM »

Fred

I believe the man's name to be Elmer Balog, I think that's it, but I'm not sure. I do know his first name was Elmer, anyways, I know Elmer made the rear sight and I think I can get my hands on one to copy. That's what I was told by a fellow named Mark Barnhill, and Mark does a nice job on making these Ohio type of rifles. According to Mark, he has a couple of sights. Elmer would make these rifles using new barrels, but use old locks, triggers and other old parts to complete the rifle. There were a bunch of these at the Log Cabin last year being sold as 'kits', that is, the barrel in the stock, some of the stocks had a lock in them, some not and all had it's own baggie with the parts in it to make the gun. The stocks were essentially blanks. Larry picked up one of these, and I was pleasently surprised as to how it came out. He did a really nice job.

galudwig

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 05:54:36 AM »

Fred

I believe the man's name to be Elmer Balog, I think that's it, but I'm not sure. I do know his first name was Elmer, anyways, I know Elmer made the rear sight and I think I can get my hands on one to copy.

If you do get one of those sights and decide to copy it, PLEASE document it in a tutorial. It looks very simple, but is very elegant.

Larry did a super job on that rifle. While I dearly love Vincent rifles, it is neat to see a beautiful recreation of another type of Ohio rifle.