Author Topic: How do you make/turn tow worms?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
How do you make/turn tow worms?
« on: November 06, 2018, 10:08:13 PM »
I am thinking of turning some tow worms from old bolts. Here is the tentative plan:

1) start with a 3” long, 5/16” diameter bolt and drill and tap one end for 8-32.
2) drill a 5/32” hole in the other end 1.5” deep
3) cross drill a 5/32” hole at the base of the deep hole
4) hacksaw or band saw lengthwise down to cross drilled hole to create 2 upright posts or prongs
5 file prongs to nice pointy shape
6) somehow heat and twist the prongs nicely into a worm shape. Guessing around a mandrel.
7) insert a 8-32 threaded rod into the other end.

Of course some decorative turning. These are starting to sound like a bargain to me now.

How do you do it?
Andover, Vermont

Offline 45-110

Re: How do you make/turn tow worms?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 10:34:39 PM »
I find them to be interesting, I always wondered what kind of tooling Harpers Ferry or Springfield had  in place to forge them and then proceed to get the "twist in". seems like a lot of steps in the process. I have made a couple, but  without some form of die/jig and it was a tedious process. then one has to heat treat it too.
good luck
kw

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:09:20 AM »
Of course if I still had my forge I’d flatten, split, and twist the business end.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 07:12:54 AM »

I make these from 40 cal and up.. (see for sale section)
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »
When I made mine many years ago, I didn't have a lathe. What I did was to take a piece of 5/16" rod, file about 1 1/2" flat on both sides, ending up with something resembling a really long narrow breech-plug scraper. I then split the flat portion in two with a hacksaw, bent the two sides out and away from each other, and filed them round.

I managed to break the first couple trying to get the spiral by cold-forming them, so don't do that. It was really easy to heat them with just a propane torch, though, and bend the tines around a mandrel with a pair of pliers. I used a 1/4" piece of rod as a mandrel, with the end filed down like a really blunt screwdriver so it would slip down between the base of the tines.

I filed the shank to shape free-hand and drilled and tapped it for a 8-32 screw, then soldered a piece of a bolt in the hole to give me male threads. If you have a lathe you could make the worm in a single piece, but I imagine you would want to any turning before forming the tines.

I used mild steel for mine, but a recent thread here on the subject suggests that some sort of hardenable steel would be preferable, as the tines are prone to deforming in use, particularly when new. They work harden over time, but hardening and tempering to a spring temper would save some aggravation.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 10:31:41 PM »
As much as I love making stuff. I'd spend way too much time on this.  Dan has the quicker picker upper for sure. 

The worm I'm using has tines that are too bendy. So If I did make some I'd harden and draw back the prongs once I got my shape right.  But I'm going with Dan's this time.  I can attempt to strengthen the worm I have once I have spare in house.

Hold to the Wind

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 10:51:19 PM »
Thanks fellas. Anyone have pictures of blacksmith made originals?  I do not have Madison Grant’s book yet.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 02:52:32 AM »
When I forged these I started with 5/16  round stock. I used a sizing die for the threaded end diameter (homemade)...Then thread the end with a die...Then I tapered the shank, beat the end flat for about 1 1/2 inch and 5/16 wide. Then I sawed the flattened section down the middle to produce 2 long sections, with plenty at the base ( I screwed the worm on a piece of rod tapped to accept the worm and to hold onto)....Heat and spread them apart, and grind them round...I aim for about .1-.08 diameter. Grind the ends to come to a dull point. Then wrap them either free hand, or around a mandrel using a mapp gas torch , and clean them up using narrow strips of emery....A bunch of work, but if you do them in batches it goes pretty well......Good luck......
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 03:58:06 AM »
Thanks, Dan.  Those sure came out nice,
Andover, Vermont

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »
I used a sizing die for the threaded end diameter (homemade)...

Tell us about this sizing die. A search online came up with a bunch of results for reloading brass cartridges, but nothing that would work in this application.

Is it just a piece of steel with a hole in it, or can it actually cut the steel to size?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 02:41:03 AM »
All the sizing die is is a male and female swage that forms the shaft diameter...Very simple...I don't do these that way anymore....Machine lathe is our friend!.....I did my first worms that way and it worked very well....I have been trying to locate a photo of an original worm I saw at Lake Cumberland show several years age...Mine are loosely based on the original I saw...If I can find the photo I will post it,,,,,,,Dan

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 03:41:28 AM »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 05:22:31 AM »
Hey Dan, I heard from Jim Webb that you make some beautiful worms and pullers.  Coming from Jim, that is a high compliment.  Now that I see your work, I have to agree.  It is hard to call worms art, but your sure fit the bill.  Best wishes, and God Bless,  Marc

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 01:01:01 AM »
Thanks Mark...My table is right beside Jim and Susie, and he gave me some good pointers, and I bought some of his worms, till I came up with my own way to make them...A lot of work, but very rewarding...Thanks again!