Author Topic: Making A Pewter Pipe Hawk Head  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Making A Pewter Pipe Hawk Head
« on: November 02, 2018, 04:33:08 PM »
 Back in 2012 there was a Pewter Pipe Tomahawk posted on the "Blog".

https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search?q=pewter&updated-max=2017-09-26T07:03:00-04:00&max-results=20&start=1&by-date=false

I thought it interesting and Six yeas ago (I find that, the time, almost hard to believe) decided to make one. For whatever reasons I never finished what I started, which is not totally new to me. Anyway the mold was made up from scrap wood and Auto body filler. It was made in Two pieces one side at a time by filling one side, it has a back on it, with filler, covering it with a plastic wrap, I used a grocery store bag, pressing the pattern in to it and allowing it to set up overnight. The dowels are used to align the halves. 
 A second piece of plastic was then placed over the pattern, the top was put on and filler poured into it, after setting up all night the Two pieces separated easily. The eye of the pattern was filled with filler so it could be removed. I sooted up both halves hoping it would work as a release agent. The Two pieces were clamped together and the Pewter poured, the last Pic shows my crucible, a tin can with a spout bent into it. Once cooled the pieces separated with a little work, the soot worked. I did Two pours on the second I miss guessed the amount of Pewter and you see the result, no bowl, it will be used somewhere down the line. The eyes were solid and I drilled and filed them to a rough shape, both heads need some touch up work.
 I will post that as it happens along with the other work as the project progresses.

Tim C. 

Top half of mold, you can see the Auto Body Filler

Side View

Both sides, pattern removed and sooted

Head sitting in Mold

First pour

Both

Crucible

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:30:12 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline msellers

Re: Making A Pewter Pipe Hawk Head
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing, this is as impressive as the horns you make. Following progress, hoping for inspiration.
Mike

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
Really cool. You’re game for trying just about anything.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »
Very nice work Tim!

Going to be fantastic when finished !

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 08:21:29 PM »
Very impressive. Could make spoons, etc, using that technique...

I wonder how well those auto body filler molds would work for brass. Much higher temperature, of course.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 01:39:34 AM »
Very impressive. Could make spoons, etc, using that technique...

I wonder how well those auto body filler molds would work for brass. Much higher temperature, of course.

Take a look at the melting point of pewter, about 259 or so, Brass goes at 4 times+ that at 1600. Not a good idea.
 I let the mold sit for days in the hot Sun to make sure it was dry. I have made the mistake of pouring Lead/Pewter with moisture present, Safety, Safety, Safety, Never forget it.
   Tim C.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 04:51:09 AM »
Hey Tim, I really like the look of the hawk head without the bowl. Can a plain hawk be made if you salavage that head?  Best wishes, Marc

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 05:42:59 PM »
Cool stuff Tim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 11:14:26 PM »
Never a dull moment in your shop Tim.  Those wheels are always turning. 
David

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 04:22:02 AM »
Tutorials like this creates "monsters".  I have been wanting a "hood ornament" type of decoration for my 1911 Indian replica motorcycle.  Since I read this I have spent enough time researching after reading this that now, my wife and I are messing with blocks of wax trying to carve a hood ornament design, and then will attempt to cast it.  Thanks for keeping me busy. 

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »
That is great Tim. Thanks a million for
The inspiration!
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Levy

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 02:53:38 AM »
TC and TA,  Back when I was working as a conservator for the Fla. Dept. of State, a gentleman found a pewter spontoon type hawk with a pipe bowl on it.  The spontoon pipe was recovered from the Suwannee River by an artifact hunter.  It was in excellent condition with a remnant of the handle still in the eye.  I had some copies poured in brass, but didn't really think to have it poured in pewter as was the original.  the pipe bowl was slightly bent inward.  James Levy
James Levy