Author Topic: What is accurate  (Read 7001 times)

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
Re: What is accurate
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2018, 06:42:24 PM »
Being 'accurate' is having your projectiles go where you want them to go!!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2018, 09:29:44 PM »
True, Sharpsman, but without good precision, there can be no accuracy, however you define it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2018, 11:16:45 PM »
I don't think the op intended his thread to be a question as in definition of the word, "Accurate".  I interpret the question to mean, and it is entirely vague, what do you consider to be accurate, and how is it achieved?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2018, 11:57:56 PM »
I don't think the op intended his thread to be a question as in definition of the word, "Accurate".  I interpret the question to mean, and it is entirely vague, what do you consider to be accurate, and how is it achieved?

How is it achieved? With the proper basics and self discipline anyone can be a better shot. But sometimes the shooter is better than the rifle, so bringing that rifle around to one's definition of accuracy requires different techniques. To simplify the question we should strive to build or alter a rifle so that it shoots into one hole at the chosen distance. Then it's up to the shooter to take advantage of that rifle.
I think the question requires a new post, actually 2 new posts, one dealing with the rifle, the other with the shooter.  Personally I would really like to see and hear how other people accomplish this.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2018, 01:32:42 AM »
I've always achieved "accuracy" by handing my rifle over to someone else who can still shoot!   :-\
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

sespe

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2018, 03:10:02 AM »
Just curious sespe, what make of barrel is that 54?

This is the Kibler kit, he uses Rice barrels.

My goal was to have a shooting rifle by this fall shoot.  I accomplished that.  I used a 50-grain measure because that's what I had from my old rifle.  Now that goal one is done, goal two is to find the right load combination.  That's a fun goal to have...

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2018, 03:53:48 AM »
I agree sespe, more shooting will also help you get a better feel for your gun.   ;D  :)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2018, 02:49:08 PM »
I've always achieved "accuracy" by handing my rifle over to someone else who can still shoot!   :-\

This one should stop this thread. Truth and humor combined. ;D

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2018, 07:30:01 PM »
Just curious sespe, what make of barrel is that 54?

This is the Kibler kit, he uses Rice barrels.

My goal was to have a shooting rifle by this fall shoot.  I accomplished that.  I used a 50-grain measure because that's what I had from my old rifle.  Now that goal one is done, goal two is to find the right load combination.  That's a fun goal to have...

Jo-anne's has some 11 oz. denim, likely 10 and 12 as well.  I really like 10oz for the .36 & .50, my late .40 and .45, along with the 20 bore and both 12 and 14oz. denims work well in my .69.

10oz. I measure at .0220 to .0225" depending on which dial calipers I use, squeezed hard between fore-finger and thumb on the tines.

I suspect your 50 and 100yard accuracy will improve a great deal with these patches as well as 85gr. to 100gr. 2F.  I know others will stay with 3F, but - 2f produces lower pressure at any velocity & thus will be found less critical of patch material and thickness due to lower pressure. The higher the pressure, the more stress upon the patching of choice.
If your crown looks like this, starting the patched ball and loading in general will be much easier, with reduced damage to the ball, indeed, ZERO damage with cupped starter and rod tip.

Dave Crysalli's work with his crowning tool pictured over in the building forum:

D. Taylor Sapergia's work:

My Feeble Attempt at crowning:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 11:22:27 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline little joe

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2018, 09:43:44 PM »
Daryl Whats that white stuff under a nicely engraved nose cap and has that cap been shortened?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2018, 11:24:59 PM »
Little Joe- this is that rifle now.
I had just re-bed the .45 longrifle and the "white stuff" is platocene from the dam I put to stop the bedding compound from running out.
This is that rifle now - Taylor "fixed" it's warpy, bendy-stock bedding problems.

Daryl

Offline redheart

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2018, 02:36:49 AM »
Thanks Hanshi, ;D
That's the best one liner I've heard in a long time!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2018, 04:34:36 PM »
I can see this turning into a Long thread.  :-)

My idea is hitting what you're aiming at.

My prophesy appears to be coming true Guys!   LOL!!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2018, 08:31:06 PM »
Richard, I think accuracy:  the ability to consistently hit a mark, is something we are all interested in doing.  And it doesn't surprise me that so many have added their thoughts to the thread.  What amazes me is how so many insist on handicapping this goal with loading technique which only points to failure.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

rfd

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2018, 10:11:38 PM »
Richard, I think accuracy:  the ability to consistently hit a mark, is something we are all interested in doing.  And it doesn't surprise me that so many have added their thoughts to the thread.  What amazes me is how so many insist on handicapping this goal with loading technique which only points to failure.

true, but no need to be amazed as it's intentional on the part of some of us who attempt to be handicapped at times by the manner that 18th century man loaded his firearm, and for very specific reasons that were far more apparent in that century than 'tis current.  it's all good as long as you know what yer doing and why.  ;)

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »
Little Joe- this is that rifle now.
I had just re-bed the .45 longrifle and the "white stuff" is platocene from the dam I put to stop the bedding compound from running out.
This is that rifle now - Taylor "fixed" it's warpy, bendy-stock bedding problems.

I would like to hear how Taylor "fixed" the warpy, bendy stock. I had one that warped and tried to twist in a half circle at the muzzle. Mine came out good in the end but I'm having at difficult remembering all I did to it. I think I got some of the twist out by soaking the forend and pinning it into place.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2018, 10:48:41 PM »
He turned it into a 1/2 stock.
Daryl

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2018, 03:27:48 AM »
That I didn't do. I do remember after I'd got most of  the twist out, and pinned the barrel it was making stock contact full length. Then one day I noticed the wood had warped away from the barrel in several places. I put a little Accra Gel down the stock where it was no longer touching and a touch at the breech then set the barrel straight down, pinned it  and screwed in the tang bolt. Now when I remove the barrel I never notice any warp so I guess  I got most of it out.