Author Topic: has anyone made thier own peep /ghostring sight?  (Read 12368 times)

Offline recurve

Re: has anyone made thier own peep /ghostring sight?
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 12:40:50 AM »

Here's the one Lowell Haarer made for me  ;D

galudwig

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 03:17:50 AM »
Nice! Give us a range report when you get a chance!

Offline recurve

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 06:45:41 AM »
o

off the bench 25yds  1st one way high one hole once I got use to the ring 70rgns swiss 2f .18patch 490ball 4f prime lowest hole was 50yds

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 02:40:50 PM »
A lot of very nice work is shown on this thread.The only peep sights I have ever made were for long range
muzzle loaders and single shots not loaded from the business end.

Bob Roller

Offline bowkill

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »
here's a quick and easy way to test out a rear peep sight that's non-invasive and instantly attaches anywhere you like on the barrel.

a peep hole neodymium magnet, $2.29 plus shipping from kjmagnetics.  the magnet is VERY strong and won't budge from recoil.  stick it anywhere on an octagonal barrel.

Is this the one you are talking about..
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B884DCS&cat=19
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline Semisane

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 11:57:53 PM »
here's a quick and easy way to test out a rear peep sight that's non-invasive and instantly attaches anywhere you like on the barrel.

a peep hole neodymium magnet, $2.29 plus shipping from kjmagnetics.  the magnet is VERY strong and won't budge from recoil.  stick it anywhere on an octagonal barrel.

Is this the one you are talking about..
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B884DCS&cat=19

I bought a half dozen of those at $0.88 each, here: https://www.magnet4sale.com/n42-1-2x1-2x1-4-neodymium-rare-earth-block-magnet-with-6-countersunk-hole/

They are quite strong and won't come off of the barrel with recoil. However, they sometimes swivel around a tiny bit. The fix for that is to put a piece of thin double sided tape between the magnet and the barrel. It prevents any movement at all and the magnet is plenty strong enough to power through the tape.
My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 01:08:43 AM »
I agree - that is a gorgeous rifle!

Here is a peep sight Taylor built, following what was on the original bag-grip hawken.

The tap and die were courtesy of Robert Roller, 80tpi.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2018, 05:40:39 AM »
Here is another trick for fitting a peep after you already have sights on the gun. 

Locate a long straightedge.  Have a friend hold it on top of the front blade and on top of the rear blade (not in the notch). 

Get out a caliper and measure the height from the tang where you want the peep to the bottom of the straightedge.  That will be the height (or at least close) from the tang to the center of the aperture hole.  It works great for sighting in more modern guns with peeps.

I have found accuracy suffers little with larger hole sizes.  The eye simply lines everything up with ease.  A small hole is not your friend in the woods. 

Hope this helps.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Semisane

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2018, 05:56:40 PM »
………………   have found accuracy suffers little with larger hole sizes.  The eye simply lines everything up with ease.  A small hole is not your friend in the woods.  ……….

Spot on Marc. I had a .58 Zouave on which I replaced the rear sight with a peep in the same location. That peep had a 3/8" hole and worked perfectly.
My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2018, 09:47:14 PM »
Hi Semisane,

Yes, they do work indeed.  Of course, the closer we can get a peep to our eye, the longer the radius and the better accuracy potential.  That way we are just looking THROUGH the peep and not really aligning it. Put the front blade or dot on the target, and there you are.
God Bless,   Marc