Author Topic: I. Keller, gunsmith... ???  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Collector

I. Keller, gunsmith... ???
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:45:24 AM »
I have an antique percussion pistol with the lock stamped I. Keller.  Can anyone identify this gunsmith and the state/locality he did business in?

Thanks in advance for your time and reply. 

Offline ptk1126

Re: I. Keller, gunsmith... ???
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »
Don Baird's column in Muzzleblasts Nov 1962 mentions John Keller was listed in Carlisle, Cumberland Co Pa in
the tax lists from 1823-1844, and states that I and J were frequently interchangeable in those days. This was in
reference to a percussion rifle. 

Paul

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:50:14 PM »
J. Keller was from the Carlisle area.   Years ago I sold some guns for a fellow that had a rather large collection, one of them was a Keller, nothing spectacular, but a nice gun.........Don

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 06:22:20 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  This piece certainly has seen plenty of use, in it's day.  Parts missing and parts added.  It's exactly as I found it.  The workmanship is not at all very refined, but covered a lot of the basics of gun building in the day.  It does, however, point beautifully and is a well balanced pistol.  I've speculated that this was an apprentices piece. 

Offline Majorjoel

Joel Hall

Offline Collector

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 11:18:02 PM »
I'd read somewhere, that one (1) signed longrifle, by J. Keller, was in existence.  Would this be that piece?  Fortunately, it's been given far better care than the pistol.  My speculation about the pistol being a apprentices piece lies in it's rather 'plain-ish' features and it's small bore size (.30 - .31/ with corrosion mikes to ~.295).  Perhaps I'm in error.   

In all other respects, it was fit and finished fairly well; a walnut full stock stock having a 6-5/8" barrel tapering from .990 at the breech to .961 at the muzzle, a concentric ring engraved around the bore at the muzzle, a nose cap (missing) and inletted brass butt cap.  The triggerguard (missing) had inletted ends, but was either nailed/ or tacked directly to the stock.  The converted flintlock plate, I believe, has always been in percussion service.  The lock internals are in perfect working order and the trigger is crisp.  The current hammer appears to come from a back-action shotgun lock and was suitable enough to keep it in service until both the hammer cup and the nipple corroded, weakened and failed.

Is this pistol worthy of a restoration project?  Had I not picked this up, I don't think it would have survived intact for much longer.   Every time I look at it, it brings back fond memories of being 'detained' in LaGuardia Airport, NYC for having a 'gun' in my briefcase.