Author Topic: Old fowler/musket/smooth rifle........  (Read 1840 times)

JohnHBryan

Old fowler/musket/smooth rifle........
« on: November 16, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »
I have another one for you guys, stand by for pics.....  Opinions and thoughts welcome.

JohnHBryan

Re: Old fowler/musket/smooth rifle........
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:46:56 PM »

JohnHBryan

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 09:52:28 PM »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:49:15 PM by Ky-Flinter »

JohnHBryan

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 09:54:02 PM »

JohnHBryan

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 09:56:09 PM »

JohnHBryan

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:58:56 PM »
And that's it...  I suppose it wouldn't be a musket, not sure why I said that.  Octagon to round with a subtle transition.  Rear sight.  Pretty thick bore compared to a lot of fowlers.  Sling swivels.  Can't see any markings on the barrel, other than a few lines near the tang.  Somewhat petite and light.

Obviously missing the forestock.  Look at the swamp on the end of the barrel.  That's not just the photograph.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:59:59 PM by JohnHBryan »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 10:06:54 PM »
That's a fairly common type of German smoothbore and - while I can't say for absolute certain without examining the barrel - it very well may have always been a half stock.  The Germans were making quite a lot of half-stocked smoothbores pretty early in the 18th century, with the forward pipes attached to (typically) brass decorative escutcheons as spacers soldered or brazed to the underside of the forward barrel portion.  Very neat stuff.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:10:06 PM »
One of the Germanic countries for sure, past that or exactly where beats me. I'd vote for original 1/2 stock as well, I have a German fowling gun done the same way, except mine has about 4" of rifling at the  very funneled muzzle, no riflings farther down.  Lots of cast off eh? You could shoot around corners with that much! I like the sheet brass buttplate too, you'd expect to see a cast one. I like the cheek carving as well, would look gun on a contemporary "early colonial gun".
 Thanks for sharing.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 01:03:04 AM »
George Shumway always liked to comment on pieces like this that they would be excellent examples of the type of plainer or provincial German work that could translate extremely easily as an American piece.  This is certainly the case here, although I'm fairly positive it's German and was originally a half stock (which curiously enough does not seem to have 'jumped the pond' until much later).
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »
I think we can say by the apparently   closely spaced  ramrod pipes (Entry pipe and one just forward, now detached), that it was indeed half stocked and Germanic.
This style of stocking up seems to have been practiced even in the earliest years of the 18th C.   Often a sling swivel will also be attached to the short fore-end.
A nice find.

R.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »
I have a half-stock European shotgun from around 1840, but evidently made with some recycled 18th century parts, that has a front sling swivel mounting virtually identical to this one, if any additional confirmation is needed.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »
The loose ramrod pipe doesn't match the others. Is that usual?                                 

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 11:43:56 PM »
Dan'l,

I thought by what I could seen that it matched the entry pipe.
  Those up front look like they've been knocked off and stuck back a few times.  Maybe they are replacements.

JohnHBryan

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
Thanks.  Appreciate it.  That actually looks like it would be a good design. That explains the flared muzzle.