Author Topic: Southern Rifle signed A.D.  (Read 5256 times)

Offline scottmc

Re: Southern Rifle signed A.D.
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »
Very nice Duncan and appears to be in great condition.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 03:31:11 PM »
Very nice Duncan and appears to be in great condition.
The stock has some cracks and a few pieces missing, otherwise it is.
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 11:00:53 PM »
I have an Alfred Duncan rifle with the same initials on the barrel . Mine does not have a patch box and the cheek piece is a paneled beaver tail design and mine does not have the spur on the trigger guard .

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 11:36:32 PM »
By the way , it is a great looking rifle ! Thanks for sharing !

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 12:48:34 AM »
 ;) ;)... A nice Alfred Duncan rifle, ChrisB,... !!!... may I make a couple observations,...???.... I believe this rifle was originally flint and was converted many years ago.... percussion lock is an old replacement...(lock-plate is slightly smaller than mortice)... lock bolt plate may have been added at time of conversion.. (appears  to have a filled hole just behind lock screw-hole,... possible another hole at front of plate for two screw lock plate,?)... filled "flint hammer notch" behind percussion hammer,... barrel was shortened also,... possible at both ends,.(rear sight re-set into the signed initials)... two "feather holes" between toe plate and rear trigger-guard extension,...... actually a GREAT  "A*D" rifle,... !!! ... what is current barrel and overall length,... ?? ... thanx for posting this great find,... Regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,....

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
Cades Cove Fiddler, thank you for your observations, I will have to take some closer looks on my rifle.
I will be back home at the weekend and take the measurements you asked for. Best, Chris

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »
... two "feather holes" between toe plate and rear trigger-guard extension,...... Regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,....
Please pardon my ignorance....
I did notice these holes of cause but did not know what to make of them.
I am not familiar with the term "feather holes", too.
Can you please help me out here?
Thanks, Chris

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2018, 12:32:00 AM »
 ;) ;)... back when these rifles were in everyday use, one or two small bird feathers would be inserted into a small hole in this area of the gunstock,...(some guns had two),... these were used to plug the vent hole of a flintlock when loading and to keep moisture out of the main charge in damp weather,... feather would be removed and pan then primed to shoot,.... Jack DuPrey still provides this feature with his great contemporary Southern Rifle recreations,... !!!... great rifle you have there,... !!! ... regards,... CCF ....

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2018, 07:40:26 AM »
CCF, I knew of the feather or vent pick placed on the cheek piece, some of my rifles have this
feature, but the use of holes in the gunstock is news to me, thank you for that!
Great to be here on ALR, I learn a little bid more every day :)

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »
Here are the measurements:
overall length: 49"
barrel length: 32,5"
trigger pull: 13,6"
cal. appr. 0,48

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 06:36:35 PM »
 :( :(... Thanx, ChrisB,.... too bad that she was shortened, but happened a lot back then,.... Still a fine Tennessee rifle, however,... I recently saw another nice Tennessee rifle that had a similar modification,... couldn't make out the signature, but had traits of a Gross rifle,.... thanx for sharing her with us,... regards, CCF,....