Author Topic: Picked up my J.P. Beck Rifle Yesterday  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Don Adams

Picked up my J.P. Beck Rifle Yesterday
« on: October 28, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
I picked up my J.P. Beck rifle from Josh Wrightsman yesterday.  I also got to hold an original J.P. Beck Rifle and I think he did a wonderful job in capturing the spirit of the rifle design. Very nice carving and engraving on the patchbox.  It is .45 caliber 44 inch 1:66 twist barrel from Charles Burton FCI barrels and an L&R CLASSIC lock.  I'm hoping for calm weather early this week so I can try to get it sighted in before our range closes during the week days and only open on Sundays - it get's pretty crowded on those days.

the pig roald dahl

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 05:12:21 PM by Don Adams »

Offline Don Adams

Re: Picked up my J.P. Beck Rifle Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »

A few more pictures

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 07:33:35 PM »
I’ve just learned of Josh recently.  Guess I’ve been living in a cave!  From what I’ve seen he can do just about anything superbly.  That’s a fine looking rifle. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »
Looks like a nice rifle - any close-ups?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 12:20:41 AM »
Daryl, I will try to get some better pictures up later  for close up  - I was using my phone camera.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 12:29:35 AM »
Here are some closeups of the rifle prior to finish

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 01:47:45 AM »
Whoa, now; that rifle is a beauty!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 03:48:12 AM »
tks Don - very nice.
Daryl

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 04:53:25 PM »
Beautiful rifle, and great carving.  Made some notes on the cheek-side rear, as it really balances well.  Thanks for showing!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 02:46:43 AM »
Took the rifle to the range today and was able to sight it in at the 25 yards.  The 50 yard range was packed and the wind was picking up so that will have to wait until spring.  Our range closes for hunting season on the club grounds and is only open Wednesdays and Sunday and it is usually packed with other shooters.

So this first target is 60 Grains of 3F Goex  .018 pillow ticking patch, .445 Hornady round ball and Mr. Flintlock Lube. 5 shots  It was hard seeing the sights with my shooting glasses.

Second target is 70 Grains of 3F Goex  .018 pillow ticking patch, .445 Hornady round ball and Mr. Flintlock Lube.  5 shots

So it seems to be shooting low and right and I go ahead and file the front sight a little and tap it to the right just a smidge,  Again 70 grains of 3F Goex and same patch, ball and Mr. Flintlock lube.  I pulled the top shot because seeing the front sight and target was pretty difficult at times.  Looks like the group is still a little low and a little right.

Ok so I file a little more off the front sight and move just a tad more to the right to bring the group over.  This time I reduced the powder load to 65 grains of 3F Goex and same patch, ball and lube -  I also took of the shooting glasses and could see the sight picture much clearer.  Much better with these five shots - I might file just a bit more off the front sight as I was holding right on the bottom of red and I think the left and right are where I want it. I would like a little space below the red dot in my sight picture.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 09:45:30 PM »
Well done, Don.
It will be good to try at 50yds., for sure.  You are on the right path.
My .45GM bl., when using LeHighValley, slippery, like Mr. Flintlock's lube, did it's best at
50yards using 75gr. 3F GOEX, or 85gr. 2F GOEX with my standard 10oz denim, at .022" with a .445" ball.
I should mention it shot similarly with swaged .440" balls and might have been easier loading, I don't
know. I find .445" and .022" loads very easily, as-is.
The velocity for both of 75gr. 3F and 85gr. 2F loads was the same, just over 2,200fps. The POI and accuracy
was also the same, right around the 1/2" to 1" for 5 shots.
I found that when I switched to a water based lube, I could get the same accuracy & poi with a mere 65gr. 3F.
Daryl

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 12:53:18 AM »
I try to shoot for groups or to sight in around the middle of the day of possible, much better light.
I couldn't shoot the target you use there's not enough definition. Try this one. I tried to send it as a word or publisher document but couldn't.

American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 01:27:45 AM »
That's a pretty cool target - where did you find it?

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
Don, originally I got it off the Remington website as a free target, it's not there now but search for Remington target and you can find it on the net. Copy and paste to a pdf. Then you can paste it to a word doc. or a Publisher doc. and do any edits you want.
This target is set up for 11X17" paper as we have some heavy paper in this size. I also have a file for this target as a double on 11X17" paper side by side. I've designed a number of targets with Word and Publisher but this one works as good as any of them so I mostly shoot this or the double now.
When I get back in the house after shooting I fill in the blanks then scan a target into my computer and save it to a file. Or, I scan it in and copy to a word or publisher document and create a text block on each line, then type in the data. More trouble but it  looks better.

American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 10:58:33 PM »
 I no longer have a colour printer and I'm using a laser-jet printer that uses the large, cheap 'toner' ctgs.
They are MUCH cheaper than the coloured ink-jet printers and you can print off targets by the package - tray
 full - about 250 at a time.
free targets of MANY different designs - pages and pages of them - normal and not-so-normal.

www.targetz.com
Daryl

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 01:28:25 AM »
I will look them up.  Thanks!

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 04:00:23 PM »
Good-looking rifle, and that's some serious carving!

Michael Hill

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 05:04:37 AM »
Don, originally I got it off the Remington website as a free target, it's not there now but search for Remington target and you can find it on the net. Copy and paste to a pdf. Then you can paste it to a word doc. or a Publisher doc. and do any edits you want.
This target is set up for 11X17" paper as we have some heavy paper in this size. I also have a file for this target as a double on 11X17" paper side by side. I've designed a number of targets with Word and Publisher but this one works as good as any of them so I mostly shoot this or the double now.
When I get back in the house after shooting I fill in the blanks then scan a target into my computer and save it to a file. Or, I scan it in and copy to a word or publisher document and create a text block on each line, then type in the data. More trouble but it  looks better.

Thats one dead turkey right there, scrambled brain pan for sure. Good shootin!