Author Topic: Two adjustable screws on a double set trigger  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Kynoch

• Starting Member
Two adjustable screws on a double set trigger
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:21:16 PM »
A rifle new to me has two adjustment screws - one each behind the front and rear trigger.  What does the rear trigger screw adjust?  The rear trigger sets, and the front trigger fires the rifle.

The rifle is set up to only be able to go to full and half cock with the trigger set.  I'd like to be able to fire the rifle unset for hunting purposes.  Any chance that second set screw can change this configuration? Wanted to ask before I started turning things 😀  Thank in advance.

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Two adjustable screws on a double set trigger
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 08:57:18 PM »
The rear screw is likely an adjustment screw for the mainspring.  If you wind it in, it will lift the spring and thus let the hammer trigger drop, perhaps allowing you to cock the rifle with the trigger unset.  There is a fine line between when everything is perfect, and then nothing works.
If you wind it out, the mainspring will put more force on the back trigger, forcing its arm higher, and interfering more with the lock sear.  These adjustments usually need to be done with the trigger guard removed. Otherwise, it is difficult to get at the head of the screw, and you'll certainly bugger it up trying to get a screw driver in there.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Kynoch

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »
That's it.  Perfect thanks. Indeed, you can turn them so that nothing works! I counted turns so I was able to put them back. I'll get back to it when I have a bit more time but this is exactly what I needed.  Thanks!

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 09:31:07 PM »
My pleasure.  Happy shooting!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 09:21:45 PM »
That's it.  Perfect thanks. Indeed, you can turn them so that nothing works! I counted turns so I was able to put them back. I'll get back to it when I have a bit more time but this is exactly what I needed.  Thanks!
I would suggest that once you get it to where it functions properly that you Lock-Tite it in place if not it will move and you will be back where you are now ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb