General discussion > Antique Accoutrements

John Tansel horn on Blog Site

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tim Crosby:
 Art/Jan may have more info too. Does that tip look like a replacement? Look just below it, the hoen looks worked.
 Leather would make more sence but the ware spots do look like paper. Hopefully we will get more info.
 Dang Gary, how did you see that?

Yim C.

T.C.Albert:
I think the cotton content of old paper was much higher "back in the day"...news print was actually made from pulped and processed old rags...thus the term "Daily Rag"..or so Ive been told....so old "paper" would perhaps stand up much better than the stuff we are used to today...but I doubt the horn saw much use after the note was glued on...rather it looks like storage wear and ink fading, though I dont see the acid burns normally associated with old gall inks, could that be written in pencil lead or plumbago???

Yes, especially compared to other Tansels, the tip looks to be a replacement, although perhaps contemporary with the time the horn was seeing field use...the way the horn is signed, I wonder was this John's personal horn?

I need to dig through all of the documentation I have someplace, maybe Shelby already wrote about this horn?
TCA

Randy Hedden:
I believe the spout of the Tansel horn is definitely a separate applied tip.  You can see one of the metal pins that is holding the tip to the horn.  Now the question is was this done when the horn was made or done later to repair damage.  The applied tip looks a little large and "Clunky" and is not the graceful tip you would imagi8ne the horn to have, so maybe it was added later by a different hand then John Tansel?

Randy Hedden

Tanselman:
Tim Albert or anyone else, where is the "blog" site the John Tansel horn is/was illustrated on??? It sounds very much like a horn that Jim Dresslar had for years, then sold off. If so, I copied the information on the paper covering of the butt plug years ago regarding it being a War of 1812 battle field pick-up, and yes, the applied tip is probably not the original one. I'd like to check it out to verify what horn it is, if someone can provide the link.   Shelby Gallien

G. Elsenbeck:
Tanselman here's the Contemporary website:
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

Scroll down and you'll see the horn. 
Gary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version