Author Topic: More info than you could ever want about Black Powder  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
More info than you could ever want about Black Powder
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:35:44 AM »
Here's a group of articles on BP by the Mad Monk.  The more I read, the more my head turned fuzzy from all the info.  What's cool is the comparisons of the different brands.  A big thank you to you Mr. E. Ogre for the wealth of knowledge.
Here's the site   http://www.laflinandrand.com/page3.htm

Bill
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:37:29 AM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

erdillonjr

Re: More info than you could ever want about Black Powder
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »
Thanks for the info Bill. Ed

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »
Monk certainly has a handle on BP today.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 05:32:55 PM »
That work began when I saw changes within the industry.  Mainly a decline in the number of producing plants.  For instance.

The S/A Pernambuco Powder Factory closed in 2001.  The machinery then moved to a new plant in Brazil that now produces the Diamondback brand BP.  I felt it necessary to write the history of the final years of thaty plant.

The last remained BP plant in Spain was closed a few years ago.
KIK-Kamink is now in bankruptcy.

The guy at Elephant had pushed me for a number of years to write a book on black powder manufacturing technology.  Trouble is that such a book with a lot of photos would cost a fortune to publish.
I left a lot out of that piece since the info did not directly relate to small-arms powders.

I gave the subs a once over lightly.
Recent changes in the black powder production picture may get me back into that in writings with greater details.

I should point out here that at present there is only one man with any great length of time in hands-on production of black powder.

E. Ogre

northwoodsdave

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:30:24 AM »
I've been looking at the site.  While most of us aren't really interested in making our own powder, the highly technical aspects of black powder making are amazingly well laid out on this site.

One does not realize the amount of work and science that goes into making good black powder.

Dave

Offline Dan

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:00:06 AM »
Mr. Monk, excellent work there.  Thanks!

Dan