Author Topic: South Carolina plains rifle. Help ID  (Read 3391 times)

Offline cshirsch

South Carolina plains rifle. Help ID
« on: November 29, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »
This a unique rifle that has been in my collection for many years. It's a double keyed plains rifle style in a whopping .65 caliber. What makes it unique is, it was made in Columbia, South Carolina. It is well made and shows French influence (see the rear of the lock). It is marked with sunken cartouche style stamps. I still have not been able to decipher the name though. Anyone recognize the name? BTW, it is much longer than the angle of the photo makes it appear.

Offline Levy

Re: South Carolina plains rifle. Help ID
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 06:41:50 PM »
Just guessing.  Could it be Haversham?  Levy
James Levy

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 07:35:38 PM »
Yes, that is one of the options Jerry Noble and I came up with also.  Maybe but I find no records for Haversham, so far.  Looking into Habersham. 

Just guessing.  Could it be Haversham?  Levy

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 06:58:36 AM »
Could be BECKHAM

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 07:43:14 AM »
 ;) ;)... if you are tight with any law enforcement people, they   can use the same process that is used for numbers on modern guns,... will show stamped marks, but not engraved ones,...... :-\ :-\

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:49:54 PM »
,,, Can you give us some specs? weight, barrel length, is that a single set trigger, how is the cheekpiece shaped and does it have a side plate or washers under the screws, looks like a poured nose cap? Is the rifling good, what is the twist? I really like this big bore!!!! Looks like SC "BAR" rifle!!!! Thanks, Ed
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:08:16 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:17:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's J. Peckham. I've seen a pistol with the same stamp. Not a whole lot of info other than he was a gun/hardware dealer in Charleston and later in Columbia. Nice rifle, thanks for sharing.

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 12:02:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's J. Peckham. I've seen a pistol with the same stamp. Not a whole lot of info other than he was a gun/hardware dealer in Charleston and later in Columbia. Nice rifle, thanks for sharing.

Matt

Thanks Matt!  I will start researching that name.

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 01:25:57 AM »
Rather than a plains rifle, I suspect it should be called English style?  There's a maker in Georgia, whose name escapes me right now, who made some very nice ones in a similar style (WElliot will know).  My guess is that the southern aristocracy tended to act a lot like their counterparts in the UK after the poingnancy of hostilities had abated some.  Fine doubles, game rifles, etc.

PS, it is Templeton Reid I was thinking of.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:56:03 AM by bgf »

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 02:37:45 AM »
I am pretty much going with the Peckham name.  J. Peckham was a Charleston and Columbia dealer so this rifle could have been made by a local or someone in a bordering state.  Many rifles attributed to St. Louis were actually made in New York.  I owned a large bore, double keyed plains style rifle the stamp of early Texas dealer, C. Hummel, San Antonio Tex.  I tracked down the maker in New York.  Hummel was being supplied by a New Orleans jobber named Soubi.  The rifle shown in this thread is not a New York rifle.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 05:54:11 AM »
If that is indeed "Peckham" what might the first part of the stamp be?  Something like J. Peckham doesn't take up nearly enough room.  Perhaps the first name is spelled out?

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 10:33:00 PM »
I started my research and I now believe the name to be JAMES PECKHAM.  It all fits well.  I am trying to find some old ads for Peckham's business.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 05:44:11 PM »

Matt

Hey Matt, any chance you can send me some photos of your Peckham pistol?

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 07:38:41 PM »
;) ;)... if you are tight with any law enforcement people, they   can use the same process that is used for numbers on modern guns,... will show stamped marks, but not engraved ones,...... :-\ :-\

I restored hundreds of serial  numbers in my working career.

I would not use acid ethanants.  Fry's reagent was the most used.  It deeply etches the surface.  It is mostly strong hydrochloric acid. 

I would try magnetic particle inspection....magna-flux.  Get some strong magnets and magnaflux spray.  A horse shoe magnet will be your best bet. The spray is iron oxide in oil, not destructive.  You can also try iron oxide powder in common oils.  Moving the magnets around will find a sweet spot where the particles react to the compressed iron and line up to make the stamp visible. 

Somewhere I read about Southern "hog rifles" as being considered a precursor to the half stock Hawken rifles.  Could this be an example of that type of rifle?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 09:15:15 PM »
 You know that really makes sense, if you compare early fullstocked Hawken rifles to Southern hog rifles.

Hungry Horse

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 11:51:25 PM »
Someone was telling me about a product coin collectors use to bring back the dates on a coin.  It won't work on
cut signatures but might on stamped ones since they are both stamped.  Nic A Date is think is the product.  They also make
Silv A Date.  Maybe you could invent iron a date ;D
I see SHAM at the end
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:58:31 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 12:13:46 AM »
Someone was telling me about a product coin collectors use to bring back the dates on a coin.  It won't work on
cut signatures but might on stamped ones since they are both stamped.  Nic A Date is think is the product.  They also make
Silv A Date.  Maybe you could invent iron a date ;D
I see SHAM at the end

We have determined that it is James Peckham.  He was a gun/hardware dealer in Columbia SC.  Thanks for the info.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
This rifle is returning to Columbia, SC.